• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations - AUS v SAF 23rd July 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Not that happy with the Centre's and back row. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) seems to be guaranteed the 13 shirt no matter how he plays. Pocock will make a difference in the backrow but the other 2 are there on reputation alone. Samo should have been given a shot at 8 in my eyes.

Robbie Deans must really not rate Greg Holmes. He did a great job for the Reds all year, covers both sides of the scrum and gets through a mountain of work around the field. I know he isn't the greatest at scrum time but that doesn't seem to be an issue at the moment and he is much better than others on the squad.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
2 tras only in the 22.
higgers is from WA does not play for them.
Alexander, surprise should not be there.

B

Braveheart.

I think that it's a much stronger team than last week. More balance, more strike power, more world-class players.

I can still not sold on the Pat McCabe / Adam Ashley-Cooper centre pairing. To me, they are very similar players and the balance just doesn't seem right. They are both hard-hitting centres, but neither are huge or particularly destructive runners. I just for the fact fear that as neither are ball players & this is the first indication that Deans is moving away from the dual fly half system that we've seen him foster in the past couple of years.

I'll definitely be interested to see what they can do outside of Cooper though. Something is telling me "they can do much more than playing outside Gits!". Well, here's hoping at least.

I'm assuming that either McCabe or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are the back up outside backs?

H

H...

This is why I like Robbie, he has guts.

There were probably easier sides he could have picked (less controversial) however I think that minus maybe Samo, that is the strongest side available at this stage of the campaign.

Settle down, he's had 2+ years to make some of these "controversial" decisions.

H

H...

I just for the fact fear that as neither are ball players & this is the first indication that Deans is moving away from the dual fly half system that we've seen him foster in the past couple of years.

The system that has failed (for us at least) time and time again?

About fucking time.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I can still not sold on the Pat McCabe / Adam Ashley-Cooper centre pairing. To me, they are very similar players and the balance just doesn't seem right. They are both hard-hitting centres, but neither are huge or particularly destructive runners. I just for the fact fear that as neither are ball players & this is the first indication that Deans is moving away from the dual fly half system that we've seen him foster in the past couple of years.

Why do we need another ball player in the centres?

There is Genia, Cooper, Beale and O'Connor who are all capable of being ball players. If anything having either Digby or McCabe partner with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) brings more balance to the team as you need ball runners.

Overall I'm happy with the team bar Sharpie not starting and Kepu with the wrong number on his back.

The fact that Giteau isn't in the team brings a smile to my face as it shows he's not considered our second fly-half

U

Utility Back

Whats the thoughts on the crowd level this week? Will it be better for the loss last week? On the one hand the idea of it being a closer contest looks more likely for that loss against Samoa, on the other its also shown that the standard of rugby from ill performing wallas and supposed b-side springboks is also more likely?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
We don't need a second playmaker in the centers. We have Beale and O'Connor
When KB (Kurtley Beale) came on against Samoa he got into first reciever a lot and looked good, he can feed the ball around whilst Cooper sets up for his magic

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Do we have any huge destructive centres floating around? McCabe may be the closest we have got.

H

H...

I would tolerate Giteau on the bench I suppose as he could really cover every position in the backline but ONLY as a cover for inury and NOT as a centre / flyhalf predetermined 50 minute or 60 minute sub.

My fear is that the new combos will not be given time to fire and that we'll go back to the same shit that hasn't worked for years for the RWC.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
All the talk of A. Fainga'a being unsuitable for the bench will be put to the test on the weekend. For the record, I agree with the notion that if picked it should be in the 15.

T

The_Riddler

Hi all

Been observing this forum for a while, but thought it was time to jump in.

On Pat McCabe, I have extremely good mail that Deans is a huge fan, so don't expect him to be out of the 22 for the entire Tri Nations and World Cup campaigns. Personally, I don't think he is a career 12, but a suitable replacement for Barnes until he returns, if at all. Given the nature of his injury, I suspect a return to full fitness is less likely than probable. Giteau is clearly out of favour, or they are resting him for the All Blacks, again unlikely given the circumstances. While A. Fainga'a is a class player, McCabe is a better package.

The front row is our biggest concern. Benny A is clearly out of form, Kepu isn't up to it, and Moore is a bit flat. I thought Al Baxter at 3 could have been wise until Slipper comes back given his experience and personal story (i.e. hungry to go out a winner and prove his critics wrong with one last hurrah). Daley isn't at international standard yet.

Simmons pick is well deserved. I doubt Vickerman will feature again unless there are injuries.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
All the talk of A. Fainga'a being unsuitable for the bench will be put to the test on the weekend. For the record, I agree with the notion that if picked it should be in the 15.

Normally I'd agree, but with the team as is he covers any backline injury outside halfback with minimal reshuffling:

McCabe off > Fainga'a to IC
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) off > Fainga'a to OC
J'OC off > McCabe/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to wing, Fainga'a to IC
Digby off > As above
Kurtley off > McCabe/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to fullback, Fainga'a to centre
Cooper off > Kurtley to 5/8, Fainga'a to centre, McCabe/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) drop back.

The problems would arise with two players who should really only be playing centre, such as if Giteau was in the team. However, Fainga'a covers the two mr fixit's of the side who have shown they can quite capably play from 12-15 (AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) proven at test level).

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
If you include Quade, there are 5 players that have played fullback in the 7 man backline!

I expect Ioane to defend closer in. Hopefully with Beale and Cooper doing a double team (switching wing/fb in defense - depending on the play) at the back. Imagine those three blokes running back at you!

That is a telling observation IMO Scotty. Pretty reassuring going into a RWC.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Do we have any huge destructive centres floating around? McCabe may be the closest we have got.

Presumably, barbarian, you mean outside of the very experienced player who was the only consistently performing 12 in the Australian franchises this season and who, to the best of my knowledge, Robbie Deans has never spoken to.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I would not call Carter huge and destructive. He is a solid crash-baller for sure, but I have never seen him regularly smash through defensive lines like say SBW, 2003 version Mortlock, etc.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Good call Godfrey on Fainga'a there. With a McCabe/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) pairing he is the way to go.

Seems the only reason Gits was being kept around was backup at 10 and he played himself out of that jersey on Sunday so there's no need. Beale should be backup to QC (Quade Cooper) now but i can't see he or Genia being subbed at all. Maybe with Burgess back but Phipps is a real risk. I'm also not sold on the centres but i like the look of it and think it should be given a couple of games at least to find some form. There are enough playmakers in the side to get away with these 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.