• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations - AUS v SAF 23rd July 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
1. Cowan
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. A Fainga'a (based on great defence but more importantly combination with QC (Quade Cooper) and Sanchez)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (needs a chance to prove himself away from Giteau)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

16. Slipper (Baxter)
17. S Fainga'a
18. Vickerman
19. Hodgson
20. Higginbotham
21. Burgess (Phipps)
22. Turner

Giteau managed to sway me during the S15 into thinking he deserved another chance, but today he showed exactly why again he is past wearing the green and gold. When facing a stiff defensive line, he cuts down all the space for those outside him and he is now long past second chances.

I think you have it pretty much correct, except I would pick beau robinson on the bench ahead of hodgson. And see how the backrow functions. If need be they could bring McCalman back in for the AB game, he could even play 6 with rocky being 'rested'. Interesting selection of Cowan, its a bit of a toss up between him and baxter, and ofcourse ben daley, who is really no worse in the scrum than alexander, and he does more around the field.

McCabe on the bench ahead of turner is also an option. Deans can work it out he spends more time with them than we do.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah I think it's a bit of a myth SA doesn't have decent backline depth. It does look like a B team, not one player in the 15 would make the 1st XV apart from Smit who shouldn't (Blue, Paarl am I right?) - even the bench guys apart from Brussow wouldn't make the 22

Tough one, and depends if they pick on form or based on reputation and keeping incumbents.

The guys who will push hard for the first 22:
Lambie
Aplon
Basson
Steyn
Pienaar
Brussow
Rossouw
and of course Smit who will be there.

As i have said before that is potentially a better backline than the "main" one.

Who the hell knows. We'll see once the home 3N comes around.

I am quietly excited about seeing this team play. Little bit worried at 5 and 6 (openside) but apart from that they should go well.

Q

QuadeCooperFan

hypothetically if all possible players for Aus were fit to play, what would the starting 15 look like?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Tough one, and depends if they pick on form or based on reputation and keeping incumbents.

The guys who will push hard for the first 22:
Lambie
Aplon
Basson
Steyn
Pienaar
Brussow
Rossouw
and of course Smit who will be there.

As i have said before that is potentially a better backline than the "main" one.

Who the hell knows. We'll see once the home 3N comes around.

I am quietly excited about seeing this team play. Little bit worried at 5 and 6 (openside) but apart from that they should go well.

Certainly has the potential to be a more expansive & exciting backline than the 'regulars'. Some of these guys would be in my starting First XV and i would prefer to watch that backline. Going to be a damned good game if both sides show up.

Is it too early for tips? Leaning towards Boks atm, don't think there is enough time for the Wallabies to get it together for this. Boks are going to be very keen to rub salt in our wounds and prove themselves after this weekend. Will reserve judgement until both teams are named though.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Myself would like to see Lampie in 15. Saw what Cooper did to Aplon on Newlands when the Reds dominate up front and he won the kicking battle. Aplon and Basson will be good in the air. Olivier, JdJ, M Steyn and Pienaar pick themself. Frontrow is pretty plain but the locks and backrow is still dicey. Pretty sure Brossouw and Muller will start from the bench.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
hypothetically if all possible players for Aus were fit to play, what would the starting 15 look like?

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Sharpe
5. Horwill
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Barnes
13. Horne
14. OConnor
15. Beale

16. TPN
17. Kepu
18. Simmons/Vickerman
19. Hodgson/Higgers/Samo
20. Burgess
21. Gits/Fainga'a
22. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Mitchell

Something like this, bench gets messy.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Myself would like to see Lampie in 15. Saw what Cooper did to Aplon on Newlands when the Reds dominate up front and he won the kicking battle. Aplon and Basson will be good in the air. Olivier, JdJ, M Steyn and Pienaar pick themself. Frontrow is pretty plain but the locks and backrow is still dicey. Pretty sure Brossouw and Muller will start from the bench.

Not worried about the front row. The Bulls boys and Smit looks pretty good to me.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Not worried about the front row. The Bulls boys and Smit looks pretty good to me.
Good to hear. Greyling impressed me this year, Coenie aswell, its Kruger that have me worried but we dont have many options. If we can find par in the scrums and lineouts, we'll be OK. Look like Rassie and kie have worked hard on our defense, will be interesting to see on saturday.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Sharpe
5. Horwill
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Barnes
13. Horne
14. OConnor
15. Beale

16. TPN
17. Kepu
18. Simmons/Vickerman
19. Hodgson/Higgers/Samo
20. Burgess
21. Gits/Fainga'a
22. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Mitchell

Something like this, bench gets messy.

I like it, but Mitchell would not be on the bench. That'd be Diggers. Going on a "peak form in 2011" argument, Mitchell was better than Digby... but the problem makes me wish we could have 3 wingers!

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)

Same. It's mostly a confidence issue at this stage I think. If they are thinking as 2nd choice players they'll get hammered, but if they front up and believe then I think a win is on the cards. No disrespect to Oz who should still be favourites by some way, but this team is capable of it. I think psychologically a lot is going to rest on Smit and Rossouw, with help needed from Steyn and Pienaar.

Set pieces are hard to call. Not so worried about the front row but unsure about the locks both at scrum and lineout. How are the options in the back row, Rossuw is fine but does Johnson take decent lineout ball? Who will call the lineouts? I assume Hargreaves?

R

Rev Spooner

I can't understand why rugby lovers have missed the inept performance from Sharpe on the weekend. A lot of other players have been criticized but somehow, Sharpe has been forgotten. He is one of our most experienced players but did nothing. His scrummaging has been highly ineffective for years now and his toughness has always been lacking. Personally, Sharpe and Giteau would be handy from the bench but only when other hard-working players are unavailable.

Status
Not open for further replies.