• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney 7's: 3 - 5 February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wow South Africa are an impressive side, will be interesting to see how they go without 2 of their stars. Well deserved final win

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Australian Sevens side certainly not getting the results necessary.

Being 6th going to Vegas just isn't acceptable. Or maybe we just need to re-align expectations and be happy with mediocre results and middle of the road stuff.

Therefore well done lads. Enjoy Vegas and all of it's delights

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You can't consistently beat the better teams running one out.

Support play is what the best teams do so well.

They make a half break and it gets converted into a try because there is always the next player (or two) coming through to support and the runner knows where those players are.

The frequency with which South Africa, NZ and Fiji score tries without requiring a missed tackle is what sets them apart in attack.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
You said it Braveheart

Maybe you would do a better job than the current bloke

Simple strategy methinks, its just the execution that is the let down. Maybe turn over more cattle until some are found that follow the coach's instruction.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
With the amount of $$$ on offer, it's never going to be more than a development side.

Do we need our 7s team to be consistently competitive? Do people actually care?

I think the broader rugby public would much rather talent and $$ be spent on Super teams/Wallabies/juniors than 7s.

Except maybe in Olympic years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You said it Braveheart

Maybe you would do a better job than the current bloke

Simple strategy methinks, its just the execution that is the let down. Maybe turn over more cattle until some are found that follow the coach's instruction.

We've already used more than 20 players across the four tournaments this season and have a bunch of 18, 19 and 20 year olds playing their first year of World Rugby Sevens.

I definitely think the coach could be part of the problem but it's hard to know who the solution is.

This team will get better as they build experience. We just need to work out who has long term potential and who should be moved on at the end of this season (so more new blood can come in).

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Too slow (to improve), too expensive for an exercise in mediocrity.

I support Barbarian's view but I was just plain scared to espouse my negative view in case the skin was flailed from my back for being a dis-believer.

Might be different I the ARI was flushed with money but they don't seem to have any idea. Case in point is them spending $750,000 on Pocock NOT to play in Australia this year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Too slow to improve? A whole lot of this squad are playing their first season in the squad.

In the Sydney 7s, after Stannard and Myers, Henry Hutchison was the next most experienced player in the squad and he only debuted last season.

I definitely don't think all of the new guys are up to it but some certainly showed plenty of promise. They definitely need to be given more time.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^^
How long have we been involved in the Sevens competition as a nation.

Of course I'm not talking just about the current lads.

The "system" has been in place for a number of years (I'll wait your advice as to how long) and it ain't working.

How much money do you chuck at it.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think a lot of us rugby tragic's need to realise that sevens is perhaps the best way to engage young fans which will be the lifeblood of the sport for years to come. Now not saying there needs to be a massive investment, but it needs to be taken more seriously than it is. I'd like to see the current group signed until the next olympics, where each of them will still be well and truly young enough to establish a long 15's career after. Perhaps the inclusion of an out and out speedster and a power forward is all that is needed to consistently reach the top 4.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
We've already used more than 20 players across the four tournaments this season and have a bunch of 18, 19 and 20 year olds playing their first year of World Rugby Sevens.

I definitely think the coach could be part of the problem but it's hard to know who the solution is.

This team will get better as they build experience. We just need to work out who has long term potential and who should be moved on at the end of this season (so more new blood can come in).
The coach isn't part of the problem, he's totally the problem.

Look at the signings he's made in his tenure.
There is a total lack of strategy or balance in the squad he has assembled.

He coaches them like they are under 10's ..,give it to the good kid.

No wonder he was so keen to get an extension 3 or months into his appointment!

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
^^^^^^

The "system" has been in place for a number of years (I'll wait your advice as to how long) and it ain't working.

Vast majority comes for the taxpayer though doesn't it? And has to be spent on sevens

That's not necessarily any better value, but it's not like we're taking money from XVs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
^^^^^^

What do you propose instead? No one has been able to consistently crack the top 3 of SA, Fiji and NZ.

Some of the second tier nations are relatively better at 7s because some of their best XVs players are involved (e.g. Canada and USA).

It's not like we're alone in the sort of setup we have for 7s having a full time professional squad.

I think a lot of us rugby tragic's need to realise that sevens is perhaps the best way to engage young fans which will be the lifeblood of the sport for years to come. Now not saying there needs to be a massive investment, but it needs to be taken more seriously than it is. I'd like to see the current group signed until the next olympics, where each of them will still be well and truly young enough to establish a long 15's career after. Perhaps the inclusion of an out and out speedster and a power forward is all that is needed to consistently reach the top 4.

I think the biggest problem with that idea is that half the current squad or more probably won't be the guys you want there in four years time because they'll never be good enough.

I don't think it is as simple as saying these guys just need four years to become world beaters.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

I kind of disagree the system 'ain't working'.

We have clearly set up our 7s as a talent development mechanism for 15s. We throw in good youngsters and hope they can grow into something a Super side can use in 2-3 years time.

We have no real interest in winning 7s tournaments at all. If that happens then great, but it's clearly not the aim of the program.

So with that in mind, I think it's been fairly successful. Bernard Foley, Liam Gill, Sean McMahon, Nick Phipps, Tevita Kuridrani, etc etc. Even the current blokes did well in last year's NRC and hopefully Cam Clark, Con Foley, Michael Wells, Sam Figg, Tom Cusack and co can forge good pro 15s careers.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Agree with Barbarian.

The challenge will be whether we want to continue with that being the purpose of the Men's 7s Programme or whether we try and change it to be its own pathway with no relationship to XVs and try and have more career 7s players like Ed Jenkins.

I think substantially more money will be needed if we want to go with the latter option.

Status
Not open for further replies.