• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney 7's: 3 - 5 February

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeh it was a little, I was hoping we'd have a win so the media talking about our girls instead of the aflw. Oh well they were simply beaten by a better team on the day.

It's actually a positive sign for the circuit. More competition never hurts. Should push our girls harder. An all Nth American final. So there is a positive. NZ won't win it.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's actually a positive sign for the circuit. More competition never hurts. Should push our girls harder. An all Nth American final. So there is a positive. NZ won't win it.

Yeh agreed, I'm just thinking on a domestic front with the nazi propaganda machine that is the afl

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Women's comp wrap

Cup SF:
Canada 12-7 Australia
USA 19-12 New Zealand

WTF? Oh well, at least I didn't need to haul ass home to catch the forgone conclusion ANZAC Final, had time to enjoy a Monteith's Golden Lager with my workmates. Very civilised way to end the working week, that.

Challenge Trophy Final (9th place):
Brazil 17-12 England

Playoff for Fifth:
Fiji 31-12 France

Playoff for Third:
New Zealand 19-0 Australia

Double WTF? Here's me thinking a win by one in double extra time would be OK & we nil you?

Grand Final:
CANADA 21-17 USA

Full results here: http://www.worldrugby.org/womens-sevens-series/stage/1720/fixtures

Standings & Points heading into Las Vegas:

1. New Zealand 36
2. Australia 32
3. Canada 30
4. Fiji 24
5. Russia 24
6. USA 20

Full standings here: http://www.worldrugby.org/womens-sevens-series/standings

Day 2 highlights to follow when WR (World Rugby) put them up.

T

TOCC

Just got home from day 2, great event, it's more akin to a music festival then a rugby union match. Half the entertainment is from the people watching and crowd engagement. Demographic of the crowd was unique, youngest I've seen and the highest number of females at a rugby union event as well IMO.

The weather was slightly unkind, the sun was blistering hot and people were huddling in the shadows.

Aussie women's results were disappointing but the crowd were behind them 110%, they'd get a standing ovation and applause when they walked by on the way to the warm up area. I'd say a fair chunk of the crowd left after the women's grand final matches.

3 days of 7's Rugby is difficult, I love rugby but after 2 days I have a bit of rugby fatigue, might watch tomorrow from the comfort of my living room.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
just got back from day 2 of the 7's quality atmosphere and I think there was a nice medium between young people having a bit of fun and the older generation/families

had to laugh at one point though when myself and a friend were discussing uni life during a game and a older woman took offence, turned around and said "theres a perfectly good football game going on, I don't want to hear about your social life". it was the womens 3rd playoff featuring aus and I said if she could name 4 players we wouldn't say another word for the rest of the day, needless to say she couldn't.........................

moa999

Tom Lawton (22)
TOCC,
Crowd is pretty empty for the last game...
It has been marketed like the HK 7s and much of Aussie horse racing - more of a social than sporting event

Scot ahead 7-0. Are the Kiwis trying to learn avoid Fiji

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
I'm thinking NZ must have a cunning plan that results in us playing Wales instead of Fiji in the QF. I'll let the Assistant to the Assistant Coach explain.........

IMG_0689.JPG

A plan so cunning etc etc :)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
TOCC,
Crowd is pretty empty for the last game.
It has been marketed like the HK 7s and much of Aussie horse racing - more of a social than sporting event

It's a bloody long day considering matches began at 9am.

I got there about 2pm, and was cooked by about 6pm. The atmosphere was fantastic. A little bit quieter than last year, but I put that down to the weather - it was brutal if you were in the sun.

Big kudos to the guys at Allianz, the beer queues were practically non-existant. And no limits on purchasing, even if it was mid-strength. The crowd was in good spirits, and this had a fair bit to do with it IMO.

Big disappointment of the day was our Women's side. Put in consecutive shockers vs Canada and NZ. Never seen them that bad. Hope they can turn it around ASAP.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Challenge Trophy (bottom eight) QF:
Kenya v Russia
Scotland v Samoa
Canada v Japan
France v PNG

Cup QF:
England v Argentina
NZ v Fiji
USA v SA
Wales v Australia

T

TOCC

TOCC,
Crowd is pretty empty for the last game.

Scot ahead 7-0. Are the Kiwis trying to learn avoid Fiji

Crowd probably peaked around 4pm, then a large number of people like myself left after the Aussie women's grand finals..

I don't say this lightly, but it was unbearably hot to sit in the sun yesterday, especially if you were there for 5 or 6 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
And it'll be worse today.

February is always a pig of a month in Sydney. I know there are a lot of constraints on the timing of an event like this, but I really cannot see too many people wanting to front up every year in conditions like this. Or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.