• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney 7's: 3 - 5 February

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Massive crowd at the first game of women's AFL on 7mate tonight. Might have a similar problem attracting female athletes sooner than we think!

A great crowd. Free entry was a smart option for the first game. Are they all free entry does anyone know?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Also have to consider the Men play more tournaments, which attract bigger crowds. Putting commercial considerations to one side, it's understandable they are paid slightly more.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Harsh thing about judging crowds for women's 7's day today is on a work day.

If women's first day was on a Saturday (without the men's) expectations for better crowds probably a given.

There is interest but not enough when you know you can see mens and womens on non work day on Saturday.
Afl crowds in Melb will always dwarf Sydney crowds.
That's just the way it is.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Stunning solo try by Portia Woodman v Canada:

Father Kawhena & Uncle Fred, both accomplished 7's players, Northland & NZ Maori legends (plus briefly All Blacks) would've been proud to have that one on their highlights reel.........

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
It was a poor crowd at the stadium today and some of the rugby was a lot better than that. Even if a team was well-beaten the crowd almost always had a reason to cheer a good try by the underdogs.

- Aus looked good in the first two games but the physical Fiji team was able to find gaps in their last match because their runners often attracted more than one defender - and sometimes when it wasn't needed.

- Fiji were ahead and Aus needed the yellow card given to Fiji to retake the lead.

- Our girls didn't handle good rush defence very well; too many times they got nailed.

- Like the men, the Aus women lack real flyers and it made a difference both in finishing moves and chasing opponents.

- Aussie Coach Tim Walsh made a claim that one of his players was the fastest in the world. Kiwi Portia Woodman and a couple of other girls must have had a good giggle about that one.

- Talking of Woodman - it was the first time I've seen her at the ground. She's not the biggest and what I didn't realise is how tough she is is in the tackle whether she has the ball, or an opponent.

- Another Kiwi, Michaela Blyde, is going to be a star player - was one of the best at the ground today. Very quick and sharp - and strong, as Woodman is.

- NZ had a better third game of the day (against Canada) than the Aussies did against Fiji - but they would have been glad to get off the park with a 2-point win against France in the second match. That was their down game.

- Russia could be the smokies in a tournament in 2017; though maybe not in Sydney. They didn't qualify for the Olympics last year but they look like they have jumped up in class. Watch out for the Ruskies.

About 40 minutes after their last game Charlotte Caslick was still having her photo taken outside the stadium with young girls - class act young Charlotte.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^^^^^ somehow vast swathes of empty pale blue seats aren't as eye-catching as vast swathes of empty baby-kak yellow ones :)

I was wondering if Selica Winiata, NZ's current Women's POTY, was injured to not be on the park but no:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...z-sevens-contract-list-for-attacking-too-much

I suspect it has more to do with her having turned 30 but either way she deserves better treatment than that esp after being one of the better players at the Nationals.

Only saw NZ v Canada plus 2nd 1/2 of France v PNG & will have to haul ass home tomorrow to catch the women's GF but judging by the WR (World Rugby) highlights package & your post above it looks like it's been a great success. Onwards & upwards!

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Stunning solo try by Portia Woodman v Canada:

Father Kawhena & Uncle Fred, both accomplished 7's players, Northland & NZ Maori legends (plus briefly All Blacks) would've been proud to have that one on their highlights reel...
Is that not a ruck when she handles the ball?

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^^^^ possibly but she's released the ball & is back on her feet when she picks it up so I think she's OK? Touch & go whether the second NZ player had actually made it a ruck, too.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
^^^^^^^^^ possibly but she's released the ball & is back on her feet when she picks it up so I think she's OK? Touch & go whether the second NZ player had actually made it a ruck, too.
I thought the Canadian non-tackle player made contact with her over the ball before she picks it up, so ruck.

Anyway, Ref said play on so you're right.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
IMG_20170204_121527.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Aussie women's lose the SF... well that was a disappointment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.