• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney 7's: 3 - 5 February

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Comparatively they are better athletes then the men.. players like Cherry, Casslick and Green would be poached by Super Rugby clubs if they were in the Men's team.

One of the problems is that the Men's team is essentially the 6th professional rugby team in Australia, but wages rank lower then the other 5 Super Rugby teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

T

TOCC

Fiji making Australia work for it with 90sec remaining

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Comparatively they are better athletes then the men.. players like Cherry, Casslick and Green would be poached by Super Rugby clubs if they were in the Men's team.

One of the problems is that the Men's team is essentially the 6th professional rugby team in Australia, but wages rank lower then the other 5 Super Rugby teams.

yea I get that, but just simple stuff like passing, the girls passing is crisp, flat, they can pass both ways and the ball is out in front. I believe there are multiple guys in the mens 7's team that cant perform these simple skills. which is really saying something when these guys have played footy all their lives while the women mostly grew up playing touch footy a few times a week.

I think the mens need to look at their recruiting, unless players are in a 1st grade shute shield side they often wont get a look in at any of the major 7's tournaments, but from my view these players aren't always the ones that would excel at 7's. They need to go to touch footy/oztag/rugby league 9's tournaments and seek out some players with silky smooth skills, give them some conditioning, throw them in with a few more "traditional" rugby players and one or two "big men" and theyd have a far more rounded squad.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I doubt it happens now but at some point in the future id like the top girls like casslick, green, tonegato etc get more than what the average male 7's player is earning

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I agree to a point, but you pay your players what you have to, to retain them. And there's a lot more competition for the men's signatures (in theory anyway).

If we want a competitive men's team, we probably have to pay them more than they get now. Obviously, that's not the case at the moment for the women.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I agree to a point, but you pay your players what you have to, to retain them. And there's a lot more competition for the men's signatures (in theory anyway).

If we want a competitive men's team, we probably have to pay them more than they get now. Obviously, that's not the case at the moment for the women.

very true, although the marketability of the women I think bumps up their worth a fair amount, casslick and green are becoming very recognizable, petitani has a bit of media presence at the moment. I also follow mahalia murphy on social media, if someone in the marketing department gets hold of her itll be great for the game.

with the AFL and NRL both forming comps we may see a bit of a wage increase just to ward off offers from rival codes

T

TOCC

Well I think the ARU look at the men's team as paying them proportionate to their commercial value, and rightly or wrongly I don't think the ARU value the men's sevens team to highly.

Conversely the women's sevens team has significant commercial value, they are the peak female rugby union team in either rugby codes, and represent an enormous growth market for the ARU. In 2-3 years I expect the women's sevens team wages will eclipse the mens, at least by endorsement and personal sponsorship value.

T

TOCC

On the 7s, I think the Kiwis probably looked the sharpest and best drilled..

Australias defence let them down slightly, they are usually rock solid.

Cup QF for tomorrow:
NZL v FRA
IRE v USA
AUS v Fiji
RUS v CAN

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Like it or not, there is just a lot more money in men's rugby worldwide. I would guess that the average Sevens rep could probably earn more in Europe than he could playing Sevens.

The women could not. That is not the only factor, but it is pretty compelling. Employers typically pay what they think their employees are worth, and part of that is what alternatives they have.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
with the AFL and NRL both forming comps we may see a bit of a wage increase just to ward off offers from rival codes

Massive crowd at the first game of women's AFL on 7mate tonight. Might have a similar problem attracting female athletes sooner than we think!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
^^^ the average Sevens rep would quadruple their their earnings IF they could get a gig in Europe.

The min wage is about 1/2 of the quoted average..
And I'd say more than 1/2 the squad this year are on the minimum.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Part of the way forward for the men is an improvement in the professionalism (and hence $) in the NRC. You look at NZ and SA and their players do the Sevens circuit then play Mitre 10 or Currie Cup so there is still a connection to XVs.

It is crystal clear that to compete with the top nations 7s needs to be a similar career opportunity to XVs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Springbok Sevens squad for the HSBC Sydney Sevens is (with tournament caps and career points):
1. Chris Dry (55, 390)
2. Philip Snyman (captain, 40, 241)
3. Dylan Sage (10, 50)
4. Kwagga Smith (27, 260)
5. Werner Kok (22, 270)
6. Siviwe Soyizwapi (5, 45)
7. Branco du Preez (48, 951)
8. Rosko Specman (16, 203)
9. Justin Geduld (28, 627)
10. Zain Davids (1, 0)
11. Seabelo Senatla (32, 900)
12. Ruhan Nel (14, 140)
13. Stephan Dippenaar (29, 205)*
*Reserve player

SA Playing Schedule (SA times)

02h20: Japan
06h15: Kenya
11h13: England

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Harsh thing about judging crowds for women's 7's day today is on a work day.

If women's first day was on a Saturday (without the men's) expectations for better crowds probably a given.

There is interest but not enough when you know you can see mens and womens on non work day on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.