• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Springboks 2010 End Of Year Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Right, just to give an example; Earls and BOD cover 13 for us. Both were dodgy. We were about to move Fitzgerald in, and we HAVE brought Duffy - a full-back - into the squad as cover. Because, let's be blunt about it, better a guy working in the system who's adaptable than a guy outside who's not. Munster, for example, usually play a 10 at 15, for that very reason.

So, you have an argument there. Make one of your own.

You just say you had Fitzgerald as cover.

So you had another 13 and a guy you seem to think is adaptable to play 13. That's two options.

SA have one guy who hasn't played rugby for a year to cover 12 and 13, and one who by all accounts will not be fit. That's it. There is one other guy in the squad who has played at 12 or 13. M Steyn. 12 at school.

That is my argument. It's not hard to understand but you seem to be struggling.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought t would be

10 M Steyn

12 F Steyn
13 A Jacobs

Lambie to get time off the bench

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I thought t would be

10 M Steyn

12 F Steyn
13 A Jacobs

Lambie to get time off the bench

Fatprop F Steyn only joins the squad next week so they need another plan.

Word at the moment is that Adi is unlikely to start this weekend and we might see:

M Steyn
Lambie
Habana / Kirchner

Great on attack. ***Shiver*** in defense.

We will know this afternoon is Jean DV is fit.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
So the latest is that de Villier's groin is still being treated, and he is likely to miss the Ireland match. Also, Jacobs is unlikely to feature as well, as he is not match fit. Hello? WTF? If he is not match fit, why the hell is he in the tour group? Sheer lunacy from the selectors? Or quota considerations? The talk is now that either Habana or Kirchner will be in the 13 jersey (with presumably Pat Lambie in the 12 jersey?). And also now the rumor is Lionel Mapoe might be called into the squad. Double WTF! Another player who hasn't played any rugby since the mid S14 (due to a contract dispute). And now he might be called into the Bok squad? I am speechless. Doppies, and either old man Stefan or even Waylon Murray should be on a plane long before Mapoe gets anywhere near one. The lunatics are running the asylum!

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
You just say you had Fitzgerald as cover.

So you had another 13 and a guy you seem to think is adaptable to play 13. That's two options.

SA have one guy who hasn't played rugby for a year to cover 12 and 13, and one who by all accounts will not be fit. That's it. There is one other guy in the squad who has played at 12 or 13. M Steyn. 12 at school.

That is my argument. It's not hard to understand but you seem to be struggling.

No. We brought Duffy in, who's a 15, to cover Fitzgerald's role covering 15. No other centres. Well, Wallace at 12; but, to be blunt about him, Paddy Wallace at 12 is not something I'd really want to reprise.

But we will learn a lot more, and find out a lot more about, players if we try them out. That's what the tour is about for you; with the injuries, it was going this way, regardless. Back in 2006, you had a shocker of a tour; but learnt a lot, applied it, and got results. We had a bad tour this summer just gone, due to injuries (at one stage, putting on the 6 jersey was like going over the top on the Somme) and suspensions. But we tried guys out in new positions, and some of them worked. You complain about players not being tried out; so, why complain now? Your hand may have been forced, but let it run, and see.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
No. We brought Duffy in, who's a 15, to cover Fitzgerald's role covering 15. No other centres. Well, Wallace at 12; but, to be blunt about him, Paddy Wallace at 12 is not something I'd really want to reprise.

But we will learn a lot more, and find out a lot more about, players if we try them out. That's what the tour is about for you; with the injuries, it was going this way, regardless. Back in 2006, you had a shocker of a tour; but learnt a lot, applied it, and got results. We had a bad tour this summer just gone, due to injuries (at one stage, putting on the 6 jersey was like going over the top on the Somme) and suspensions. But we tried guys out in new positions, and some of them worked. You complain about players not being tried out; so, why complain now? Your hand may have been forced, but let it run, and see.

Reasonable point but the issue is that we are apparently going to try people out of position in test rugby.

That's not particularly clever.

I like it better when you argue.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
So the latest is that de Villier's groin is still being treated, and he is likely to miss the Ireland match. Also, Jacobs is unlikely to feature as well, as he is not match fit. Hello? WTF? If he is not match fit, why the hell is he in the tour group? Sheer lunacy from the selectors? Or quota considerations? The talk is now that either Habana or Kirchner will be in the 13 jersey (with presumably Pat Lambie in the 12 jersey?). And also now the rumor is Lionel Mapoe might be called into the squad. Double WTF! Another player who hasn't played any rugby since the mid S14 (due to a contract dispute). And now he might be called into the Bok squad? I am speechless. Doppies, and either old man Stefan or even Waylon Murray should be on a plane long before Mapoe gets anywhere near one. The lunatics are running the asylum!

And now they have added Lionel Mapoe, a young wing, to the squad. So we have 12 wings, 8 fullbacks and a centre. Kick it to the shithouse.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
So we are likely to see:

15. Kirchner
14. Aplon
13. Habana
12. Lambie
11. Basson / Mvovo
10. Steyn
9. Hougaard / Pienaar

There is a chance of Pienaar at 15, Kirchner at 13 (my preference), Habana on the wing.

OR

Aplon
Habana
Kirchner
Lambie
Hougaard
Steyn
Pienaar
(this would be my choice - it allows experience in Pienaar and Hougaard's defense on the wing is excellent which we will need)

(either way we will have a center combo with two guys who have never physically met one another until Monday!)

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
So the Wales game. Pretty shit by South Africa, who were lucky to win. Habana was worse than useless. Butchered two tries, and out of position much of the time. Mvovo must start against Scotland. Ruan Pienaar was not far behind. Very slow service. When Hougaard came on the differance in quick ball was quite noticeable. Willem Alberts was huge when he came on the replace an ineffective Steggies. Aplon was rock solid in defense, with two try saving tackles. Spies was actually not too bad, his best game in a while. Beast was great, Bismark solid but did give away kickable penalties for holding on. But at least he wasn't Chilli, who came on and decided to only throw the lineout ball to guys in red jerseys. All in all, a very haphazard performance. Asleep for all of the first half, and periods of the second. Hard luck to Wales.

I want to see a backline of Hougaard, Lambie, Mvovo, F Steyn, JdV, Basson, Aplon against the Sweaties with M Steyn on the bench for insurance if Lambie has a mare.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
The Bokke were luckly to get away with it last night. Welsh played out of their skin.

Bokke very ordinary in first 40 minutes. Passion seemed to be missing.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The Bokke were luckly to get away with it last night. Welsh played out of their skin.

Bokke very ordinary in first 40 minutes. Passion seemed to be missing.

We were absolutely horrible for 60 and superb for 20. Which just shows again how crap the Welsh are. They produce moments of good rugby but on the whole they are a very average side. Once they are under a slight bit of pressure they fall to bits.

We were lucky to get away with it but you make your luck.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
I would like to offer some sense of intelligent insight to the Welsh game but like the Boks for 65mins I CBF.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Or if they are bold Kirchner, Aplon, Mvovo but I think we will see more of Habana's cocking up.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I thought the Boks were unlucky in that first Wales try because of the illegal crossing . The commentators we got in Oz said that it was immaterial because JdV was committed to Shanklin anyway, but they miss the point that if Shanklin had not run ahead of North on his try scoring run, Jdv wouldn't have committed to him but to North. They get it wrong sometimes, don't they?

To be fair to them they mentioned that the Boks were advantaged before the Matfield try when somebody was tackled in the air before one or both feet were on the floor, but that was a lot harder to spot that what Shanklin did.

The Boks had a poor 1st half when they kicked the ball away like millionaires but they were better in the 2nd half. It won't matter who the Boks play against Scotland unless it is wet as they were awful against NZ - even taking into account that NZ are superior to South Africa this year. But the Boks will have to play well for longer periods against England.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I thought the Boks were unlucky in that first Wales try because of the illegal crossing . The commentators we got in Oz said that it was immaterial because JdV was committed to Shanklin anyway, but they miss the point that if Shanklin had not run ahead of North on his try scoring run, Jdv wouldn't have committed to him but to North. They get it wrong sometimes, don't they?

To be fair to them they mentioned that the Boks were advantaged before the Matfield try when somebody was tackled in the air before one or both feet were on the floor, but that was a lot harder to spot that what Shanklin did.

The Boks had a poor 1st half when they kicked the ball away like millionaires but they were better in the 2nd half. It won't matter who the Boks play against Scotland unless it is wet as they were awful against NZ - even taking into account that NZ are superior to South Africa this year. But the Boks will have to play well for longer periods against England.
Well spotted Oom Lee. Also thought the second try North looked in front of the kicker (intersting the TV lot never show the replay from a side angle, so we'll never know). Walsch havent had the best day in the office regarding the breakdowns. He never gave any fetcher from both sides no change to poach and penalise them right through the matcgh. This took out Stegman/Bismarck completely out of the game.

I agree on the kicking point, vokket I cant understand why they keep on kicking, obvious we have to play with ball in hand approach.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
My team with ball in hand and to give some a break for the Poms
Aplon, Habs, Frans, Jean, Mvovo, Lampie, Hougaard, Kankowski, Willem, Danioels, Bakkies, Matfield, Jannie, Battleship, Beast.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
My team with ball in hand and to give some a break for the Poms
Aplon, Habs, Frans, Jean, Mvovo, Lampie, Hougaard, Kankowski, Willem, Danioels, Bakkies, Matfield, Jannie, Battleship, Beast.

Jean looks finished. Give him a rest on the bench and give Jannie a break - start CJ and let him earn his money for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.