• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Springboks 2010 End Of Year Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Put M Steyn on the wing. I would always have a bloke who can kick goals from anywhere inside your own 50m (and even outside) in the starting XV no matter how bad he is. Kicking goals must never be underrated, especially in the North. Personally I'd have him over Cooper because our current kickers can't kick for shit

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Steyn played for Racing in the RDS.

Frankly, he's drek. Snor made the right call on this one. He may be kicking, but that's about it. Plus, he doesn't have the range in the NH. Colder, damper, thicker air.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The telephone wires must have been crossed.

Schalk and Juan de Jongh now officially gone. Broken rib for Schalkie and fracture in the ankle for de Jongh. Stegmann, Adi Jacobs, and Jane Kirchner all added to the touring team. The centers are a huge concern now!

We are in serious trouble. If JdV doesnlt recover we will have Lambie and Adi in the midfield.

Brilliant PdV again. He has one fit centre and he calls up a fullback. The man is a fucking genius.

He should have called up Marius Joubert. La Grange of even Stefan Grandad.

Adi has not played for a year. He has had two 20 minute stints from the bench since the last EOYT and you want to start him in a test? Come on man.

So they will start Lambie at 12, he will have a mare, and they'll drop him. You read it here first.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Steyn played for Racing in the RDS.

Frankly, he's drek. Snor made the right call on this one. He may be kicking, but that's about it. Plus, he doesn't have the range in the NH. Colder, damper, thicker air.

What call?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Put M Steyn on the wing. I would always have a bloke who can kick goals from anywhere inside your own 50m (and even outside) in the starting XV no matter how bad he is. Kicking goals must never be underrated, especially in the North. Personally I'd have him over Cooper because our current kickers can't kick for shit

Now suddenly M Steyn is bad? Rubbish.

rustycruiser

Billy Sheehan (19)
From Monday:

Clues from today's practice session:

Lambie and Jacobs in the centres, de Villiers sitting out injured.

Kankowski, Smith and Spies as the back row, with Alberts sitting out injured.

Pienaar at scrumhalf.

de Villiers and Alberts, get well soon. If they play two show ponies and Smith, we are doubly fucked!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
From Monday:

de Villiers and Alberts, get well soon. If they play two show ponies and Smith, we are doubly fucked!

fucked_sign.jpg

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
I saw two recent Clermont games and he didn't start.

So, if he's not starting with Clermont, what makes you think he's up to test speed?

Blue, all jokes aside, the incessant "Everything Snor does is wrong, because it's Snor doing it" is getting a bit daft when you start suggesting you throw a guy not even starting for his club, on the other side of the planet, into a test team playing this Saturday. All the more so when, since this test is outside the test window, Clermont would be quite within their rights to refuse to release him.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I don't think that Joubert has played since Rd 1 of the HC against Sarries which would have been about 9th Oct. He didn't play in Rd. 2 against Racing nor against Biarritz in the Top 14 the week after.

Last weekend they thrashed SF and he wasn't in the 23. Gavin Williams played 12 and Rougerie 13. There's got to be something wrong with him.

Incidentally Bastareaud had a shocker for SF in that game including once when he did a Carlos Spencer impersonation and kneed a free kick near the CA goal line instead of tapping it with his foot. The ref pinged him, of course. Later he knocked the ball forward and bawled out Ollie Phillips for throwing the pass behind him. This was all a few days after he was omitted from the France squad. Not a good week for the porker.

PS. Talking of porkers: some of the tackles between Luaki and himself were interesting.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Lambie plays much flatter compare to Morne which is the right way if you want to play the phase game and also defensive.

Exactly right PB. Morne was fine last year when kicking the ball and chasing it was king. Then getting into the right area and kicking goals after a few runs from the ruck if the ball was good. Sometimes Morne was so deep I thought old Naas was on the pitch.

But this year the laws are being enforced as they are written and teams are not scared to run with the ball and go into contact. Now the value of Morne is depreciated (though we wouldn't mind having him as our goal kicker) and a ball playing flyhalf like Lambie has more value.

As you indicate: it is no use to do the ball playing too deep as all your best moves are used up before the tacklers get there. You have to do the ball work at speed close to the tackle line, and including, if possible throwing a pass to be received opposite a gap.

I think Lambie has the attributes to be a fine international ball playing flyhalf.

[PS - Not to the point, but I wish a young Bernie Larkham was playing these days. He'd kill it.]

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Exactly right PB. Morne was fine last year when kicking the ball and chasing it was king. Then getting into the right area and kicking goals after a few runs from the ruck if the ball was good. Sometimes Morne was so deep I thought old Naas was on the pitch.

But this year the laws are being enforced as they are written and teams are not scared to run with the ball and go into contact. Now the value of Morne is depreciated (though we wouldn't mind having him as our goal kicker) and a ball playing flyhalf like Lambie has more value.

As you indicate: it is no use to do the ball playing too deep as all your best moves are used up before the tacklers get there. You have to do the ball work at speed close to the tackle line, and including, if possible throwing a pass to be received opposite a gap.

I think Lambie has the attributes to be a fine international ball playing flyhalf.

[PS - Not to the point, but I wish a young Bernie Larkham was playing these days. He'd kill it.]

See the avatar. I predicted the new interpretation would see the return of the passers; and with The Unkillable One back in the frame, I'm delighted to be proven right. :D

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
So, if he's not starting with Clermont, what makes you think he's up to test speed?

Blue, all jokes aside, the incessant "Everything Snor does is wrong, because it's Snor doing it" is getting a bit daft when you start suggesting you throw a guy not even starting for his club, on the other side of the planet, into a test team playing this Saturday. All the more so when, since this test is outside the test window, Clermont would be quite within their rights to refuse to release him.

My comment about Joubert was a throwaway to illustrate how desperate the situation is. He has been out the system for five years so even remotely thinking he will be pulled in is dilly.

Don't you get it? We have no fit 13 and one broken 12 in a Springbok squad. Do you want me to explain it in more detail? What would your average Irish supporter think if BOD, Darcy and Earls go down tomorrow and your coach calls in three 15's? You'd be pretty pissed off, that's what. Planetrugby would find another three layers of gutter it didn't know existed.

I have a problem with a centre going down, we're already thin on that front, and our idiot coach calls up a fullback when he already has 4.

Frankly the best option is Terblanche as a stop gap. Best centre in the CC after JdeJ and nobody will argue otherwise in SA.

Why do you feel compelled to defend PdV if the facts are so totally obvious?

It's quite easy if you aren't emotionally connected I guess but if you are going to keep doing it you need to start coming forward with a rational argument. I think speak to 99% of Saffers and they are disillusioned with the coach for completely rational reasons. Facts. Performance related. We must all be complete nuts and you have seen the light? I think not.

With the talent in the system at the moment we need to be doing better on the internatinal stage and showing better evidence of farward planning and we are not. In general, we have better player depth than ever before.

This time the cheap argument of "but Jake lost in 19<pickanumber from T78's lolly bag>" is not good enough T78. Make some sense or drop it.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Incidentally Bastareaud had a shocker for SF in that game including once when he did a Carlos Spencer impersonation and kneed a free kick near the CA goal line instead of tapping it with his foot. The ref pinged him, of course. Later he knocked the ball forward and bawled out Ollie Phillips for throwing the pass behind him. This was all a few days after he was omitted from the France squad. Not a good week for the porker.

PS. Talking of porkers: some of the tackles between Luaki and himself were interesting.

That was hilarious. He's not all to blessed in the noggin.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Well now you've jinxed him. He will be tried at 15, 12, 9, LH, TH, Tight lock and everything else but 10.

Then he will follow Ruan Pienaar to Ulster.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
My comment about Joubert was a throwaway to illustrate how desperate the situation is. He has been out the system for five years so even remotely thinking he will be pulled in is dilly.

Don't you get it? We have no fit 13 and one broken 12 in a Springbok squad. Do you want me to explain it in more detail? What would your average Irish supporter think if BOD, Darcy and Earls go down tomorrow and your coach calls in three 15's? You'd be pretty pissed off, that's what. Planetrugby would find another three layers of gutter it didn't know existed.

I have a problem with a centre going down, we're already thin on that front, and our idiot coach calls up a fullback when he already has 4.

Frankly the best option is Terblanche as a stop gap. Best centre in the CC after JdeJ and nobody will argue otherwise in SA.

Why do you feel compelled to defend PdV if the facts are so totally obvious?

It's quite easy if you aren't emotionally connected I guess but if you are going to keep doing it you need to start coming forward with a rational argument. I think speak to 99% of Saffers and they are disillusioned with the coach for completely rational reasons. Facts. Performance related. We must all be complete nuts and you have seen the light? I think not.

With the talent in the system at the moment we need to be doing better on the internatinal stage and showing better evidence of farward planning and we are not. In general, we have better player depth than ever before.

This time the cheap argument of "but Jake lost in 19<pickanumber from T78's lolly bag>" is not good enough T78. Make some sense or drop it.

Right, just to give an example; Earls and BOD cover 13 for us. Both were dodgy. We were about to move Fitzgerald in, and we HAVE brought Duffy - a full-back - into the squad as cover. Because, let's be blunt about it, better a guy working in the system who's adaptable than a guy outside who's not. Munster, for example, usually play a 10 at 15, for that very reason.

So, you have an argument there. Make one of your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.