• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Manly putting a really top effort to put one over Uni. Really entertaining game to watch. Rugby as it should be played.

How about the Many replacement 12? Incisive with every touch.
Mali Hingano - keep an eye on him. Nurtured by John Papahatzis at St Augustine's capable of going all the way, possibly only weakness in his game is ironically his enthusiasm which can get him out of position defensively. Great game of rugby at Uni today - talent and depth at both clubs.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
It's more like who can't accommodate Colts and Grade together. Parramatta and Penrith can, as can Wests if they can utilise St Lukes. Warringah can also use the back fields, Souths have a number 2 and so does Easts. So that only leaves Manly and Gordon who only have 1 field in the same precinct. It is a far better experience for the colts to be at the same venue, with bigger crowds and better atmosphere and getting to see their first graders run around. Also, on away weekends, it gives club volunteers a break and a chance to travel to another venue and enjoy the game. Wherever possible, I believe Colts and Grade should play at the same venue precinct.
Keirle Park - Manly's "Stoop" means its only Gordon!

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Hingano and Reid were the differences in today's game. Teams very even until both players made significant impact off the bench boosting Manly late in the second half.

Uni's influx of super rugby players seem to have slowed their surge for finals. Although you will expect combinations will soon be fixed for the juggernaut to get back on track.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Hingano and Reid were the differences in today's game. Teams very even until both players made significant impact off the bench boosting Manly late in the second half.

Uni's influx of super rugby players seem to have slowed their surge for finals. Although you will expect combinations will soon be fixed for the juggernaut to get back on track.
Yes Jordy R made a great contribution - he knows no fear - will be lucky to have a nose left by the end of the season ! The assistant referee , sorry , Schwager's injury right on half time seemed to have some impact too on Uni's cohesion. Fong as replacement seemed a little at sea at times and all the yap seemed be coming from Carter which I am sure was quite dispiriting............

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yes Jordy R made a great contribution - he knows no fear - will be lucky to have a nose left by the end of the season ! The assistant referee , sorry , Schwager's injury right on half time seemed to have some impact too on Uni's cohesion. Fong as replacement seemed a little at sea at times and all the yap seemed be coming from Carter which I am sure was quite dispiriting....
Was Tummy Carter growing Waratah's in his hair, I mean what was with the red hair die?

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Indeed still you need an angle when trying to win friends and influence to others. Maybe its part of his new deal.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
It's going to be a very interesting last Round for Easts supporters if Easts are not able to beat Souths this weekend. Wests and Warringah are finishing strongly and obviously have the easier draw. I can't see Easts beating Manly in the last Round and therefore there is a chance that they will miss the Top 8. They will be victims of this unusual draw but will also have lost 8 games in a row if it happens.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Mali Hingano - keep an eye on him. Nurtured by John Papahatzis at St Augustine's capable of going all the way, possibly only weakness in his game is ironically his enthusiasm which can get him out of position defensively. Great game of rugby at Uni today - talent and depth at both clubs.

There are played that are great defensive readers that can be given creative license (like say, Ant Fainga'a) then their are those that are over enthusiastic that need more regimented defensive responsibilities.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's going to be a very interesting last Round for Easts supporters if Easts are not able to beat Souths this weekend. Wests and Warringah are finishing strongly and obviously have the easier draw. I can't see Easts beating Manly in the last Round and therefore there is a chance that they will miss the Top 8. They will be victims of this unusual draw but will also have lost 8 games in a row if it happens.

Whilst they are in a tough draw, it's hard to say they're victims if they miss out on the finals, if they can't beat them now why would they beat them in a the finals?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Whilst they are in a tough draw, it's hard to say they're victims if they miss out on the finals, if they can't beat them now why would they beat them in a the finals?

True, but, should they be bumped out of the top 8 by 2 teams that couldnt make the top 6.
Up until the split the Beasties had been solid (not great / just solid) across all grades, one of only 2 clubs to beat Eastwood, and one of only 2 clubs to beat Manly.
Maybe 5 & 6 (of the top 6) play the 7 & 8 of the bottom 6.
Other suggestion is start the season earlier so we dont have this issue - why wait until April when our competitive codes have been playing for > 1 mth?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
True, but, should they be bumped out of the top 8 by 2 teams that couldnt make the top 6.
Up until the split the Beasties had been solid (not great / just solid) across all grades, one of only 2 clubs to beat Eastwood, and one of only 2 clubs to beat Manly.
Maybe 5 & 6 (of the top 6) play the 7 & 8 of the bottom 6.
Other suggestion is start the season earlier so we dont have this issue - why wait until April when our competitive codes have been playing for > 1 mth?

Surely we have to make whatever concessions are necessary to get back to two full rounds of home and away, even if that means just having 4 teams in the playoffs to reduce the length of the season. After all how many times has a team finishing lower than 4th won the grand final? I remember Randwick finishing 5th once and winning the comp as a result of the end of year influx of rep players, but I don't think any other team has achieved this for many years. Having 8 teams in the playoffs in a 12 team comp is ridiculous, the team running 8th at the moment hasn't even won half their games. Why should they be in the end of year playoffs? This is just as silly as the NRL playoffs.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Surely we have to make whatever concessions are necessary to get back to two full rounds of home and away, even if that means just having 4 teams in the playoffs to reduce the length of the season. After all how many times has a team finishing lower than 4th won the grand final? I remember Randwick finishing 5th once and winning the comp as a result of the end of year influx of rep players, but I don't think any other team has achieved this for many years. Having 8 teams in the playoffs in a 12 team comp is ridiculous, the team running 8th at the moment hasn't even won half their games. Why should they be in the end of year playoffs? This is just as silly as the NRL playoffs.
To suggest Wests and Warringah are finishing strongly is absurd given their draw and it only underscores the incompetence of those who dreamed the whole rotten concept up. Quite simply those clubs should not be playing first grade finals footy this year ahead of any of the top 6 . As the coach says 8 of 12 qualifying is ridiculous - only Parramatta of the bottom 6 have season long cred.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yeah it is a bit pointless having some of the bottom 6 in the semi's.
however given the nature of the comp, I don't necessarily disagree with splitting it after a full round. maybe the bottom 6 playing for a bowl or plate would make more sense.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Heave forbid we'd try something different to liven up a stale competition dominated by about 4 clubs.
Well let's call it the Shute Handicap then, not the Shute Shield, because that's effectively what it has become.
It has skewed all grade and colt's competitions, as fringe semi finalists in the bottom 6 of each comp beat up the same victims weekly.
Accordingly these teams unfairly gain massive increases in points difference, and 5 point bonus wins to boost their chances to usurp (like that) teams they couldn't go with in the full round of the draw.
So then Ryan09, let's drag everyone down to mediocrity, instead of finding ways to strive for excellence.
People in this thread genuinely want to see clubs like Penrith and Parramatta survive and thrive not perish, but let's teach them to fish, not give them a free feed.
Also if you think the AFL and NFL have seen instances of tanking, standby for what will soon happen in club rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.