• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Brissie Lock for Randwick you mentioned played enough games, he played for a Qld team who didn't make finals so he had a few weeks for Randwick before finals.

He scored a lot of tries and had a huge impact but nobody would of accused him of doing the tough stuff up close.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It was actually against Eastwood, the Woodies just got pipped on the bell IIRC. Lachie McCaffrey broke his ankle in the first half.

It was a pretty disgraceful effort by the Wicks. Maybe karma has got them now, they are just a shadow of their former great selves. I wonder whether they lost a good prospect or two because they preferred to poach an outsider for the finals that year? You would have second thoughts about joining a club that would act so cynically in preferring an outsider to be parachuted in, rather than promoting from within.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
The Brissie Lock for Randwick you mentioned played enough games, he played for a Qld team who didn't make finals so he had a few weeks for Randwick before finals.

He scored a lot of tries and had a huge impact but nobody would of accused him of doing the tough stuff up close.
He played one game before the semi finals. And yes it was Junior eyes and ears.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Against the expectations of many, myself included, the competition structure implemented this year appears to be producing some real benefits. Since the split into two divisions, in First Grade at least we are having closely contested games and good hard rugby each week. However using Club Championship points as the basis for the division does produce anomalies in lower grades and particularly in Colts.

A more equitable system would be to treat Grade and Colts separately. Thus the relevant table for Grade would be Grade Club Championship points, i.e., minus Colts points: and for Colts the Colts Club Championship points. Using this method the top six Grade clubs would have been the same as that produced by the present system, but the Colts top six would read Sydney Uni, Norths, Randwick, West Harbour, Manly and Eastwood. Randwick and West Harbour would form part of the top six while Easts and Souths would drop into the bottom six. It seems anomalous, for example, that Randwick which lies 5th, 4th and 2nd in the three Colts grades should be in the bottom half while Souths which lies 10th, 8th and 7th in Colts is in the top half.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Well put, o wise one. Now try and convince those clowns at SRU to consider changing their current competition structure. Splitting Grade and Colts shouldn't be too much of a problem, as things are now a club's Grade and Colts (nearly) always play at different venues.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Against the expectations of many, myself included, the competition structure implemented this year appears to be producing some real benefits. Since the split into two divisions, in First Grade at least we are having closely contested games and good hard rugby each week. However using Club Championship points as the basis for the division does produce anomalies in lower grades and particularly in Colts.

A more equitable system would be to treat Grade and Colts separately. Thus the relevant table for Grade would be Grade Club Championship points, i.e., minus Colts points: and for Colts the Colts Club Championship points. Using this method the top six Grade clubs would have been the same as that produced by the present system, but the Colts top six would read Sydney Uni, Norths, Randwick, West Harbour, Manly and Eastwood. Randwick and West Harbour would form part of the top six while Easts and Souths would drop into the bottom six. It seems anomalous, for example, that Randwick which lies 5th, 4th and 2nd in the three Colts grades should be in the bottom half while Souths which lies 10th, 8th and 7th in Colts is in the top half.

Bruce is it an issue of ground availability? Ie could clubs accommodate having colts and grade at home on the same day?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce is it an issue of ground availability? Ie could clubs accommodate having colts and grade at home on the same day?
It would not appear to present too many difficulties, Bob. The very experienced Premiership Competition Manager Lisa Jane Kinny should be able to deal with the complexities which this year would have only involved Easts, Souths, Randwick and West Harbour having their Colts and Grade teams in different halves of the competition. Even if it were necessary for a Club's Colts teams to lose their home ground advantage for a fixture, or for one or more Colts fixtures to be held at a neutral venue, I think the benefits would outweigh the disadvantages.

As with the present draw for the second half of the competition Grade and Colts would be not be drawn to play at home together or away together.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Would i be correct in saying that if grade played at home then colts play away? Is that still the structure of the comp?

I could only think of Uni and Norths that have the facilities to have both colts and grade play at home?

I do agreed though that Souths are getting the rough end of the stick in colts as a result of the success of their grade teams!

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
As of a week from now are colts not playing a different club a week in advance of the senior clubs draw anyway?

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Would i be correct in saying that if grade played at home then colts play away? Is that still the structure of the comp?

I could only think of Uni and Norths that have the facilities to have both colts and grade play at home?

I do agreed though that Souths are getting the rough end of the stick in colts as a result of the success of their grade teams!
Add Warringah, Sthn Districts, Eastwood, Penrith, Parra @ Granville to the list.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
G'day Bruce,
I take it you received my PM about a positive side of the top 6 format that I don't think we saw coming.
Cheers

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Would I be correct in saying that if grade played at home then colts play away? Yes I could only think of Uni and Norths that have the facilities to have both colts and grade play at home? And West Harbour, Eastwood, Parramatta, Penrith and Warringah. At a pinch Randwick could mark out another field on the seaside part of Coogee Oval if needed, and surely Easts could prevail upon Royal Colleagues to use their grounds for Colts. It's doable, but not for Manly, Gordon and Souths.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)

It's more like who can't accommodate Colts and Grade together. Parramatta and Penrith can, as can Wests if they can utilise St Lukes. Warringah can also use the back fields, Souths have a number 2 and so does Easts. So that only leaves Manly and Gordon who only have 1 field in the same precinct. It is a far better experience for the colts to be at the same venue, with bigger crowds and better atmosphere and getting to see their first graders run around. Also, on away weekends, it gives club volunteers a break and a chance to travel to another venue and enjoy the game. Wherever possible, I believe Colts and Grade should play at the same venue precinct.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Great to learn via Twitter that Laurie Weeks spent the morning watching West Harbour Juniors where it all began for him; then he's off to watch Uni play Manly. Top bloke who never forgets where he's come from.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Manly putting a really top effort to put one over Uni. Really entertaining game to watch. Rugby as it should be played.

How about the Many replacement 12? Incisive with every touch.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Disappointing day for the Two Blues at Rat Park today, beaten 37-45. Well done to Warringah.

Other scores
Uni 25 Manly 37 (great result)
Norths 38 Easts 20 (another great result)
Souths 20 Eastwood 27
Wests 27 Gordon 26
Penrith 14 Randwick 44

Table
1 Eastwood
2 Manly
3 Uni
4 Souths
5 Norths
6 Parra
7 Easts
8 Wests
9 Warringah

Penrith, Gordon and Randwick look to be playing for pride.

Status
Not open for further replies.