• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
heard a rumour today Jerry Collins has been released from his club commitments in Japan and trained tonight with the Two Blues.

I really hope that's true....but why the hell would he go to them?

Knuckles, the rumour isn't true, but what's with the 'why the hell would he go to them' comment? Why wouldn't he? Parra are a club that has resurrected itself from near oblivion into semis contention. It has in Christini and Fasuvalu, two of the most astute coaches in the competition (both are mates of his too) and he'd be welcomed with open arms. A Jerry Collins playing at Death Valley would do more for the pitiable state of Club Rugby in Sydney than turning up at a wealthy city/seaboard club where he'd be an amusing 'guesty'. Your comment is naive and insulting to all Rugby supporters west of Concord. There is a genuine revival happening at Parramatta and in the seasons to come, the balance of rugby power and talent will shift so either get on board or get out of the way.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I viewed Knuckles statement more from the angle that JC is a former AB who has been plying his trade in Japan. He has no obvious links to Australia or Sydney. Therefore this would be the reason for Knuckles' surprise, rather than the fact JC chose Parra over other SS clubs.

But maybe that's just me.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
I viewed Knuckles statement more from the angle that JC is a former AB who has been plying his trade in Japan. He has no obvious links to Australia or Sydney. Therefore this would be the reason for Knuckles' surprise, rather than the fact JC chose Parra over other SS clubs.

But maybe that's just me.

Maybe Barbarian. Could be that we're sick of condescending arrogance from certain sectors toward Parramatta. It was OK to wear a bleeding heart when we were down. Now we're upsetting some people, the old 'they're a rabble' attitude is resurfacing. If I've misjudged Knuckles I stand corrected. By the way, the rumour probably sprang from another high profile international player who turned up at training last night. Keep an eye on Rugby News.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Maybe Barbarian. Could be that we're sick of condescending arrogance from certain sectors toward Parramatta. It was OK to wear a bleeding heart when we were down. Now we're upsetting some people, the old 'they're a rabble' attitude is resurfacing. If I've misjudged Knuckles I stand corrected. By the way, the rumour probably sprang from another high profile international player who turned up at training last night. Keep an eye on Rugby News.
I have new found respect for Parramatta, a club that Sydney rugby needs to be successful.
I went off them for a while when too many of their grade players and colt's boys starting taking cheap shots in games and looking for fights.
There's a huge difference between playing tough and playing dirty and Parra carried the dirty reputation deservedly.
The new coach has clearly made a huge difference and from an outsiders perspective, TPN and his family seem to have added great spirit and pride back into the club. I'm sure there are many other people who have played their part in the turnaround who don't get mentioned.
The Parramatta Club's generosity towards young Norths player Seti Tafua didn't go unnoticed and was a classy gesture too.
Good luck with ongoing success.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
My first post so don't want to buy into controversy too early . Knuckles motives may be pure but as a supporter of a seaside club want to say that what is good for Parramatta and points further west is good for the Shute Shield and therefore rugby in this town and our appalling state team. Thoroughly enjoyed my very wet visit to "Death Valley" this year - excellent rugby and pumpkin soup. Look forward to this week's Rugby News with interest.

G

gee08

Yes, Im sure the new recruit will definately help the club to bolster there depth and provide some quality exposure for the club and perhaps persuade other players to go/return to Parramatta. Im not sure how the Two Blues got this player as he has played for another Shute Shield team previously. Anyway good on them and I'm happy to see them back as a strong force in the Sydney competition.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
My first post so don't want to buy into controversy too early . Knuckles motives may be pure but as a supporter of a seaside club want to say that what is good for Parramatta and points further west is good for the Shute Shield and therefore rugby in this town and our appalling state team. Thoroughly enjoyed my very wet visit to "Death Valley" this year - excellent rugby and pumpkin soup. Look forward to this week's Rugby News with interest.

Welcome aboard Galah, I am sure that you will have some enjoyment here in Gaggerland.

You and Gee08 have done wonders to drive up demand for the programme at this weeks Shute Shield games.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)

It won't make Rugby News this week as the player wasn't named on Tuesday night. Until he runs out on Saturday, it's best to keep it down low as you never know what may happen. His appearance did give the boys a major lift especially after losing Sam Yakopo for the season withan achilles tear.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Forward selling and market teasing to go along with the viral marketing.

So we have to turn up to Death Valley to find out the identity of the mystery guest.

Clever bugger your club GM, Mr Bell.

G

G&GR News Bot

Thanks to the NSWRU, Nick Halfhide and Seiser Photography for this week’s preview.
Round 12 of the Shute Shield gets under way this Saturday (July 14) and for the next five rounds, the top six of Sydney University, Eastwood, Northern Suburbs, Manly, Southern Districts and Eastern Suburbs will battle it out.
With the table split into two halves based on Club Championship points, the bottom six teams will also get plenty of competitive rugby, with two finals places to be fought out by Parramatta, Penrith, Warringah, Gordon, West Harbour and Randwick.
‘The split in the competition was introduced this season and was decided on by the clubs as a way to address a number of issues facing the Premierchip competition,’ said Bruce Worboys, Executive Officer of the NSWRU.
‘One of our top priorities was to ensure that players from all clubs get the maximum number of competitive matches.
‘With eight finals places available, the format gives teams that have not performed so well in the first half of the season the chance to push for a finals position, whilst giving the teams at the top end of the table a taste of what is likely to come when the finals series begins.’
This week’s ABC TV game of the day will see the reigning premiers Eastwood host Manly at T.G. Millner Field (3pm). The two clubs last met on a very wet and muddy Manly Oval, with two individual tries from Waratahs and Eastwood flanker Chris Alcock proving the difference.
With dry weather predicted, Manly will be looking avenge that defeat by unleashing fullback Jacob Woodhouse and winger Damien Reti who have some serious pace out wide.
In other round 12 matches Sydney University will face Eastern Suburbs at University Oval No.1 while Northern Suburbs will hope to continue their good run of form against visiting Southern Districts. West Harbour will host Warringah in an effort to steal eighth spot while Randwick will try to upset Gordon, with an outside chance of a finals spot on offer. Wrapping up round 12, the western Sydney rivalry continues with Parramatta hoping for a victory over neighbours Penrith to grab sixth spot.
As usual, you can catch all the Shute Shield action on ABC 1 every Saturday afternoon in NSW and the ACT. For interstate viewers, tune in at 4am on Tuesday mornings nationally on ABC 1 for the replay or alternatively you can catch up on ABC Iview.
In a new addition to viewing rugby in 2012, Club Rugby TV provides rugby viewers with the option to watch two full Shute Shield games in HD quality each week including commentary, highlights and interviews, all for free at www.clubrugbytv.com.au
EASTWOOD v MANLY at T.G. Millner Field (ABC TV, 3pm)
Eastwood make two changes to the side that beat Southern Districts in round 11 with prop Marty Plokstys and lock Steve Cummins returning to the first grade side. Manly make two changes to the side that defeated Gordon in round 11 with winger Lui Siale and centre Malietoa Hingano returning to the first grade line up.
Eastwood: 1. Marty Plokstys, 2. Chris Hill, 3. Barry Fa’amausili; 4. Steve Cummins, 5. Jared Barry; 6. Gareth Palamo, 7. Miles McCaffrey, 8. Tom Alexander; 9. Mick Snowden, 10. Barney Wood; 11. Mark Frost, 12. Michael McDougall, 13. Cam Mitchell, 14. Nick Batger; 15. Ben Batger.
Manly: 1. Dane Maraki, 2. James Hilterbrand, 3. Eddie Aholelei; 4 Ryan Melrose, 5 Greg Peterson; 6. Meil Meyer, 7. Jordy Reid, 8. Tevita Metuisela[c]; 9. Chris Cottee, 10. Marshal Milroy; 11. Lui Siale, 12. Malietoa Hingano, 13. Brian Sefanaia, 14. Damien Reti; 15. Jacob Woodhouse.
SYDNEY UNIVERISTY v EASTERN SUBURBS at University Oval No.1 (3pm)
Sydney University make three changes to the side that defeated Parramatta in round 11 with Trent Dyer and Josh Ellice-Flint coming into the first grade side in the flanks while Ben Murray gets his first start at the centre position.
Eastern Suburbs make four changes to the side that lost to Northern Suburbs last week with lock Will Crutchley and fullback Harry Bennett coming back into first grade while halfback James Burroughs and centre Elijah Niko get their maiden first grade starts of the season.
Sydney University: 1.Dylan Evans, 2. James Riches, 3. Sam Talakai; 4. Tom Heslop, 5. Liam Winton; 6. Trent Dyer, 7. Josh Ellice-Flint, 8. Benn Melrose; 9. Matt Schwager[c], 10. Daniel Kelly; 11. Michael Hodge, 12. Ben Murray, 13. James McMahon, 14. Nathan Trist; 15. Angus Roberts.
Eastern Suburbs: 1. Ofa Fainga’anuku, 2. Heath Tessmann, 3. Rob McMickan; 4. Will Crutchley, 5. Pat O’Connor; 6. Richard Stanford, 7. Tom Shannon, 8. Pauliasi Taumoepeau[c]; 9. James Burroughs, 10. Angus Sinclair; 11. Scott Ferris, 12. Tom Azar, 13 Elijah Niko, 14.Apakuki Maafu; 15 Harry Bennett.
SOUTHERN DISTRICTS v NORTHERN SUBURBS at Forshaw Rugby Park (3pm)
Southern Districts have made two changes to the side that were beated by Eastwood in round 11 with Waratah Atieli Pakalani returning to first grade while Chris O’Reilly grabs his maiden first grade start of 2012 replacing Grayson Hart who this week makes his second appearance for the Waratahs.
Northern Suburbs make only the one change to the side that defeated Eastern Suburbs last week with Western Force representative Samu Wara to start in the centres after impressing off the bench last weekend.
Southern Districts: 1. Marcus Heather, 2. Andrew Sulter, 3. Joe Lynch; 4. Andrew Leota, 5 Jed Holloway; 6. Mick Kauter, 7. Jono Hayes, 8. Matt Swann; 9 Chris O’Reilly, 10. Rohan Saifolio; 11. Ben Connolly, 12. Lester Salanoa, 13. Apo Latunipulu, 14. Atieli Pakalani; 15. Brackin Karauria-Henry [c].
Northern Suburbs: 1. Cruz Ah Nau, 2.Scott Podmore, 3. Nick Lah; 4 Rory Walton, 5. Ben Matwijow; 6. Jordan Smiler, 7. Will Miller, 8. AJ Gilbert [c]; 9. Dave Hardisty, 10. Dave Harvey; 11. Corey Brown, 12. Chris Tuatara-Morrison, 13. Samu Wara, 14. Isaiah Mosese; 15. Mitch Walton.
WEST HARBOUR v WARRINGAH at Concord Oval (3pm)
West Harbour make three changes to the side that defeated Randwick in round 11 with prop James Horrocks, hooker Reg De Jager and lock Scott Stevens coming into the starting line up. Warringah make three changes to the side that defeated Penrith last round with No.8 Jack Tomkins, flanker Adrien Clements and centre Josh Smith grabbing first grade starts after strong second grade efforts in round 11.
West Harbour: 1.James Horrocks, 2.Reg De Jager, 3. Vaughan Lomax; 4. Alfed Pinomi, 5. Scott Stevens; 6. Tom Games, 7. Tom Andrews, 8. Sione Tau,; 9. Barton Jones, 10. Henry Seavula; 11. Macquire Tatola, 12. Nua Alone, 13. Tito Mua, 14. Oleni Ngungutau; 15. Shaun Treweek.
Warringah: 1. Ray Brown, 2. David Mason, 3. Wayne Borsak; 4.Ben Adams[c] 5. Vincent Wright; 6. Adrien Clements, 7. Mark Porpiglia, 8 Jack Tomkins; 9. Timothy Donlan, 10. Hamish Angus; 11. Edward Doyle 12. Josh Smith, 13 Dylan Smouha, 14. Michael Dalton; 15. Chris Arnold.
RANDWICK v GORDON at Coogee Oval (3pm)
Randwick have made five changes to the side that were defeated by West Harbour with Waratahs prop Lotu Taukeiaho returning to the first grade side, while lock Lai Vatadroka, flanker Steve Bennie, No.8 Peter Samu and centre Terrence Hepetema all enter the first grade line-up for round 12.
Gordon make only two changes to the side that lost to Manly last round with winger Lachlan Mitchell and hooker Ron Hobden returning to the first grade side.
Randwick: 1. Patto Noriega, 2. Nio Halangahu, 3. Lotu Taukeiaho; 4. Lai Vatadroka, 5. Geoff Ingram; 6. Tim McGann, 7. Steve Bennie, 8. Peter Samu; 9. Nathan Sievert, 10. Toby Browne; 11. Apaola Tea, 12. Terrence Hepetema, 13. Ethan Ford, 14. Tom Joseph; 15. Tim Wright.
Gordon: 1. Hugh Cropley, 2. Ron Hobden, 3. Tobias Gukibau[c]; 4. Roni Scarano, 5. Mark Johnson ; 6. Cameron Thorburn, 7. Mitch Greenway, 8. Sebastian Murphy; 9. Terry Preston, 10. Chris Burnett; 11. Michael Manners, 12. Tom Hill, 13. Matthew McDougall, 14. Lachlan Mitchell; 15. Tom Coupland.
PARRAMATTA v PENRITH at Merrylands RSL Rugby Park (3pm)
Parramatta make three changes to the side that lost to Sydney University last round with prop Mika Polota Nau and winger Moses Tavola returning to the first grade side while fullback Daley Harper gets a first grade start . Penrith make just one change to the side that lost to Warringah last round with lock Tyrone Emilio returning to the first grade line-up.
Parramatta: 1. Nicholas Blacklock, 2. Trent Hosher, 3. Mika Polota Nau; 4. Ryan Aniseko, 5. Adam Coleman; 6.Evan Olmstead, 7. Andrew Cox [c], 8. Maile Latukefu; 9. Kaleb Rech, 10. Tom Woods; 11. Tui Fa’asisila, 12. Damien Fakafanua, 13. Iese Leoota, 14. Moses Tavola, 15. Daley Harper.
Penrith: 1. Faitotoa Asa, 2. Kerren Straker, 3 Richard Aho[c]; 4.Dale Shane, 5. Tyrone Emelio; 6. Junior Taavili, 7 Cohen Masson, 8 Jason Peseta; 9. Solomona Silipa, 10. Fokolulu Taumalolo; 11. Tala Mapesone, 12. Fred Tuua, 13. Mark Murray, 14. Wilson Silipa; 15. Chris Aunise-Scalan.

Continue reading...

R

ruggedruggers

Just to weigh in on the Parra convo, from what I've heard Coach Fasavalu at the TwoBlues had a stint in Super rugby and played through all the NZ age grades with a number of NZ's biggest rugby exports - hence alot of the connections.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Ryan09, you misunderstood me brother. The intent of my comment was one of curiosity. I was merely trying to find the reason why Collins would go there. I noticed you have made some comments to the contrary of who it is......however, I have to say, the mail is that it is in fact Jerry. I am also led to believe that the GM has done a deal with 2 NPC provinces for player swaps throughout the season....starting Monday. And he's quite astutely picked the two biggest provinces, Auckland and Wellington. So as Hugh Jarse said, that GM is a clever bugger.

For selfish reasons, I dont wish the Two Blues to be successful, I would much prefer it if my club Manly was, however, before anyone shoots me for that opinion, I stress it is for selfish reasons.

For the betterment of Rugby and the growth of our game, if Manly dont win it, I certainly hope Parra do.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Just to weigh in on the Parra convo, from what I've heard Coach Fasavalu at the TwoBlues had a stint in Super rugby and played through all the NZ age grades with a number of NZ's biggest rugby exports - hence alot of the connections.

I just googled that name and found a Gerrard Fasavalu. Seems when Mils Muliana was made AB's captain he did an interview where he gives Fasavalu a big wrap......scroll to bottom

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/2477943/Q-and-A-with-the-new-All-Blacks-captain

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
According to Growfat (I know, I know) a former All Black is going to appear for one of the Shute Shield teams this weekend.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
According to Growfat (I know, I know) a former All Black is going to appear for one of the Shute Shield teams this weekend.

Grumbles contributions are like a car smash on the M4.

You know that they are bad, have always been bad, and always will be bad. No one wants to be part of one, but we are magnetically drawn towards them as sightseers out of our natural curiosity for the truly bizzare, and the feeling of superiority or relief that it is not us involved.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Ryan09, you misunderstood me brother. The intent of my comment was one of curiosity. I was merely trying to find the reason why Collins would go there. I noticed you have made some comments to the contrary of who it is..however, I have to say, the mail is that it is in fact Jerry. I am also led to believe that the GM has done a deal with 2 NPC provinces for player swaps throughout the season..starting Monday. And he's quite astutely picked the two biggest provinces, Auckland and Wellington. So as Hugh Jarse said, that GM is a clever bugger.

For selfish reasons, I dont wish the Two Blues to be successful, I would much prefer it if my club Manly was, however, before anyone shoots me for that opinion, I stress it is for selfish reasons.

For the betterment of Rugby and the growth of our game, if Manly dont win it, I certainly hope Parra do.

Yes Knuckles I did misunderstand your comments, my apologies. I can tell you it's not Jerry, it is a player of similar background who is mates with Parra's backs coach Gerry Fasuvalu, that's where the rumour probably started. On a scale of big name signings, if Jerry Collins is a 10, this bloke is probably a 4.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)

Correct and that's where the Jerry Collins confusion started. Jerry Collins is a mate of Gerry Fasuvalu as are a number of former NPC, Super and All Blacks. There is a former international lining up for a run soon but not Jerry.

Status
Not open for further replies.