• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill McLean (32)
Wests 48 - Wicks 36!

Spoiling your night; Made my Day! :)

Good ole 'West the Best'

PS - high scoreline though; did they take their respective goal keepers off at half-time? ;)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hearing you, good players get lost out of the nursery each year, I strugle to understand we have the strongest premier comp in the country and the tahs are yet to win a Super tittle. The players we've lost over seas, or to other provinces is far to long - way back to when the brumbies took titles with the likes of been our 2nd XV.
Last year we signed an injured Rocky, and an injured Vickerman, some halfback from SA who has played only a few games this year.

A fix, I'm not sure but it is something that I think the ARU needs to address - we sit second just ahead of South Africa - but the nursery "our Super Teams, and 3rd Tier" needs to be built and looked after.

The Shute Shield is no more the nursey for the Waratahs than it is for the rest of the Australian provinces. Local players may have some patriotism in wanting to play for the Tahs, but the reality is that they will go wherever they find an opportunity.

Clearly a third tier of professional rugby would benefit our ability to retain players in Australia greatly but the reality is we just don't have the money in the game for it here. 1st grade players who aren't quite at Super Rugby level can go and play in Europe or Japan and earn more money than they can here. A lot of it is also a lifestyle thing. These guys are often young and unattached and are happy to do it for a year or two even if the money on offer isn't fantastic because of the life experience opportunity.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The Shute Shield is no more the nursey for the Waratahs than it is for the rest of the Australian provinces. Local players may have some patriotism in wanting to play for the Tahs, but the reality is that they will go wherever they find an opportunity.

Very good point - wherever they find an opportunity - whilst we only have 5 provinces and 2 that are competing players are lost overseas with some players reaching national honers for their adopted country. Opportunity - these opportunities are reduced when players like Elsom & Vickerman are signed - both walk up starts through their career but one signed whilst still injured, and the other after a number of years out of Super / National rugby.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The Eastwood v. Souths game was a corker and big congrats on the Woodies for pulling it off with a man sent off. Their pack stuck fat and got it done, especially in the set pieces. Well played.

I have to say that I've really enjoyed nearly every game I've seen Souths involved in this year. The quality of their attacking play is just fantastic and their counter is devastating. I hope they keep it up and also keep a few of these blokes out on the paddock (before they go O/S) long enough to see them do it in the finals.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
No Drew Mitchell this week to win Randwick the game

Wick's don't seem to have too many S15 rep players missing for the "traditional" end of S15 fillup.

Is this Wick's 1st grade team the "least" represented ever?

Is this due to lack of money, player calibre, coaching turmoil or a combination of two or more of these factors?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Wick's don't seem to have too many S15 rep players missing for the "traditional" end of S15 fillup.

Is this Wick's 1st grade team the "least" represented ever?

Is this due to lack of money, player calibre, coaching turmoil or a combination of two or more of these factors?

Brumbies players having to play in the Canberra competition. Lose a few there.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Any idea of second half of the season draw for grade and colts?
Draw for the remainder of the remainder of the season is as follows
Round 12 - 14/07/2012

Home Team
v
Away Team
v
Eastern Suburbs
University Oval No. 1
Eastwood
v
Manly
T. G. Millner Field
Southern Districts
v
Northern Suburbs
Forshaw Rugby Park
West Harbour
v
Warringah
Concord Oval
Randwick
v
Gordon
Coogee Oval
Parramatta
v
Penrith
Merrylands RSL Rugby Park

Round 13 - 21/07/2012

Home Team
v
Away Team
v
Eastwood
Woollahra Oval
Manly
v
Southern Districts
Manly Oval
Northern Suburbs
v
Sydney University
North Sydney Oval
Gordon
v
Warringah
Chatswood Oval
Parramatta
v
Randwick
Penrith
v
West Harbour
Nepean Rugby Park

Round 14 - 28/07/2012

Home Team
v
Away Team
v
Manly
University Oval No. 1
Northern Suburbs
v
Eastern Suburbs
North Sydney Oval
Southern Districts
v
Eastwood
Forshaw Rugby Park
West Harbour
v
Gordon
Concord Oval
Warringah
v
Parramatta
Pittwater Rugby Park
Penrith
v
Randwick
Nepean Rugby Park

Round 15 A - 4/08/2012

Home Team
v
Away Team
v
Sydney University
T. G. Millner Field
Eastern Suburbs
v
Southern Districts
Woollahra Oval
Manly
v
Northern Suburbs
Manly Oval

Round 15 B - 11/08/2012

Home Team
v
Away Team
v
Warringah
Coogee Oval
Gordon
v
Penrith
Chatswood Oval
Parramatta
v
West Harbour

Round 16 - 18/08/2012

Home Team
v
Away Team
v
Southern Districts
University Oval No. 1
Eastwood
v
Northern Suburbs
T. G. Millner Field
Manly
v
Eastern Suburbs
Manly Oval
Warringah
v
Penrith
Pittwater Rugby Park
Randwick
v
West Harbour
Coogee Oval
Gordon
v
Parramatta
Chatswood Oval

Finals - Week 1 - 25/08/2012

Home Team
v
Away Team

Ladder Pos: 5
v
Ladder Pos: 8
TBC
Qualifying Final B

Ladder Pos: 6
v
Ladder Pos: 7
TBC
Qualifying Final C

Ladder Pos: 1
v
Ladder Pos: 4
TBC
Qualifying Final D

Ladder Pos: 2
v
Ladder Pos: 3
TBC

Finals - Week 2 - 1/09/2012

Home Team
v
Away Team

[Winner of Qualifying Final A]
v
[Loser of Qualifying Final D]
TBC
Semi Final F

[Winner of Qualifying Final B]
v
[Loser of Qualifying Final C]
TBC

Finals - Week 3 - 8/09/2012

Home Team
v
Away Team

[Winner of Qualifying Final C]
v
[Winner of Semi Final E]
TBC
Preliminary Final H

[Winner of Qualifying Final D]
v
[Winner of Semi Final F]
TBC

Finals - Week 4 - 15/09/2012

Home Team
v
Away Team

[Winner of Preliminary Final G]
v
[Winner of Preliminary Final H]
TBC

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Eastwood v. Souths game was a corker and big congrats on the Woodies for pulling it off with a man sent off. Their pack stuck fat and got it done, especially in the set pieces. Well played.

Yes, it was a fantastic effort, the more so because they lost one of their locks early in the game, and Steve Cummins had to play virtually two matches, having played through reserve grade (not sure whether he played the whole of 2s).

Proud to be a supporter.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Steve Cummins impressed at Aus Schoolboy level in Test vs NZ Schools.

He seemed to have a rather quiet Jnr RWC this year. Good to see him kicking on in Shute Shield.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Steve Cummins impressed at Aus Schoolboy level in Test vs NZ Schools.

He seemed to have a rather quiet Jnr RWC this year. Good to see him kicking on in Shute Shield.

The ABC commentators said he only played 10 minutes during the whole series. He must be at the wrong club. :(

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The ABC commentators said he only played 10 minutes during the whole series. He must be at the wrong club. :(

IIRC he played most of the first game against Scotland. Solid unspectacular performance but was outshone by 4.Holloway and 6 Browning. Can't recall how much time he got in the rest of the tournament. Came off the bench against Les Frogges. Don't think he was in the 22 against the Argies in the mud.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I must say I was impressed by Holloway's performance against Scotland. However, he was pretty anonymous against Eastwood, along with the rest of the Southern pigs.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Haven't seen too much of Holloway in Shute Shield but like you I was impressed with his performance against Scotland. Scotland were a very poor team that didn't really challenge the young wobs.

I think they had no counter to the loose game from the Aust piggies and I thought that Holloway played like an extra loose forward more than a traditional #4.

He is still very young and IIRC the little I saw of him in the juniors, he was a 6 or an 8. He has a bit to learn yet before reaching his prime years in the second row. Any time in the engine room will be to his benefit, just do not expect him to be playing like Brad Thorn yet. As you are aware it is a different game at premier grade mens rugby where schoolboy and previous reputations mean bugger all, and respect must be earned the old fashioned way.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Up to a point Hugh, it's much quicker and much more sanitised than the good old days.
No rucking has also changed the flavour of the premier grade substantially as well. The engine room is not nearly as daunting as it was in the good old days.
That's not to say it's not still very physical and a testing environment for a young gun coming through.

Status
Not open for further replies.