• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
How was the forwards battle ? Is it true Chris Alcock played ?

In a word, waves, torrid. Scrums and lineouts were fairly well matched, but Uni were very aggressive at the breakdown, frequently forcing Eastwood back behind the advantage line.

I was told that Alcock did play.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Really was terrible and the conditions didnt allow a great evaluation but was great to see a parra team with still at least 7 first graders to come in compete so strongly with a very strong manly team. very encouraging especially the forward defence and commitment at the breakdown and i guess just the general attitude. One win will do amazing things for this club

B

brynylon

Easts had last years Souths 10 Kurt Morath and his young brother Jonnie in their team.Apparently the young one is highly rated in New Zealand.

P

Parra GM

Easts had last years Souths 10 Kurt Morath and his young brother Jonnie in their team.Apparently the young one is highly rated in New Zealand.

Both those guys are Tonga eligible and Kurt has even played for Tonga. With Tonga currently off playing on the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) its interesting their not in the squad

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I didn't notice kurt doing anything of value in last years semi against Uni. Possibly because he had Barnes opposite him.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
what position is he???
Randwick stated they are not paying any players this year....
i doubt they can afford $1500 a game. Thats a load of rubbish.

Samu Wara to Randwick from Easts (ACT) - according to a board member they are willing to pay him quite a bit per match, and thus we had no hope of retaining him.

Almost a case of deja vu for us, Henry Vanderglas went in similar fashion to Randwick...

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Randwick 1sts played the brumby runners/a side.
were beaten very convincingly.
Brumby's had the bye so had plenty of the super15 guys playing....

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Are you kidding me? Paying Players is a very broad word every club does it. Either it be through Sponsors(not on club books) or accounting it for other things such as coaching, travel expenses, fees paid etc.

Randwick, before Southern Districts came along with Maloney were the most willing of the lot to pay 'big money'. Uni offer players pretty reasonable coin before they make a name for themselves but that is not out of club money the Uni Sports Foundation offer support in that way.

Easts are right up there as well. You only have to look at the clubs who attract the players coming from interstate into the Waratahs programs to realise this.

The only one recently who hasn't got to this 'net' is Dud Roodt who went to Gordon because of a very good connection within South Africa that Gordon have and they got him a car from a Sponsor.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
what position is he???
Randwick stated they are not paying any players this year....
i doubt they can afford $1500 a game. Thats a load of rubbish.

That's why he won't be with us this year. I doubt you'd go to Sydney after settling in Canberra for the fun of it. $1500 a game will, however, make that boring drive up the highway worthwhile.
That figure was passed on by a member of our clubs board - I trust him.

Wara, if you bothered to do any research, is an outside back. And a good one at that - naturally great step and instinctive.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Oh, and Manly throw 3 grand at 1st colts players - let alone 1st graders.

Before you start labelling things 'rubbish' go and do some research.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
i know guys get paid at all clubs, i just think that it gets blown out of proportion.. I just spoke to a board member at randwick rugby club who is also a close personal friend about this, and he hadnt even heard of the guy (samu wara) so as for getting paid $1500 a week, i think thats been exaggerated...
i see a problem (as gordon & wests are facing now and souths will soon) when you pay players, everyone expects it. When the sponsor or benefactor decides after a few years to pull the money, lots of players leave (see wests and gordon 2011) chasing money elsewhere.
A couple of years ago one club coach almost sent 2 clubs in 2 years broke because of his player spending...(neither club won the comp or club championship)
I heard in 2008 guys in 3rd grade at parramatta were getting coin!! hahahah. no wonder parra leagues pulled out...
also, some guys will lie on their resume, get paid by a club, but be no good, so the club are almost trying to validate/justify them paying him by playing the bloke in higher grades...

Are you kidding me? Paying Players is a very broad word every club does it. Either it be through Sponsors(not on club books) or accounting it for other things such as coaching, travel expenses, fees paid etc.

Randwick, before Southern Districts came along with Maloney were the most willing of the lot to pay 'big money'. Uni offer players pretty reasonable coin before they make a name for themselves but that is not out of club money the Uni Sports Foundation offer support in that way.

Easts are right up there as well. You only have to look at the clubs who attract the players coming from interstate into the Waratahs programs to realise this.

The only one recently who hasn't got to this 'net' is Dud Roodt who went to Gordon because of a very good connection within South Africa that Gordon have and they got him a car from a Sponsor.

Status
Not open for further replies.