• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Parra GM

dave harvey was denied moving across to eastwood.....shame for the woods but good for gordon, from the sounds of things they need as many players as possible

our mail is that Harvey has been training with the Woods though...............

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Anyone got any idea on whats happening with West Harbour, I know they have lost Volavola and Maafu, but have they lost any other players, or gained anyone?

I have heard that Wests have lost a lot of players

Mafi (+2 or 3 more) - overseas
Sam Latinupulu - Souths
Fakafanua - Parra
Jai Ayoub - Randwick
Scott Sio - Norths
James King - Easts

P

Parra GM

I have heard that Wests have lost a lot of players

Mafi (+2 or 3 more) - overseas
Sam Latinupulu - Souths
Fakafanua - Parra
Jai Ayoub - Randwick
Scott Sio - Norths
James King - Easts

Apparently the Ma'afu brothers have gone to Easts too.

They must've posted an exit sign at the end of last season!

N

ned

Sydney University Football Club had NOTHING to do with the formation of these two junior clubs. And nothing to do with them, apart from the last few years. Both Canterbury and Petersham had junior teams for many years before SU decided to come on the scene. SU's involvement stems from a move by other rugby clubs in the 90s to establish a set of criteria to play in the NSW premiership competition, one of which was the development of juniors in a club's catchment area. Everyone knew this would involve practical difficulties for a university club, and, to be honest, most others were prepared to cut SU a bit of slack. The current sponsorship/management/support from SU to Canterbury and Petersham is only done because they have the resources to do so. Canterbury RFC would've liked their juniors to remain attached to Southern Districts but they don't have the resources SU does.

I'd be very surprised if there were more than a handful of Canterbury and Petersham juniors running around in the blue and gold, but, if SU's contributing to rugby development in the inner west, I applaud them.

I never said Sydney University had anything to do with the formation of Canterbury or Petersham, however they are assisting these clubs and will continue to do so.

W

waves

Walker was a consistent performer for randwick colts last year, his move from 10 to 9 was one of the reasons they made the semis. Will be interested to see how he goes this year.

Sorry but there would've been a reason for his move to 9. If they just moved him there it wouldve been a waste of his vision and ballskills, hopefully he has matured in grade.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
No argument there. I guess he started last year at 10 because he played there in the 1sts @ Joeys the year before, in my opinion the team clicked when he moved to 9. Hope him and the other guys that went up do well this year.

P

Parra GM

I never said Sydney University had anything to do with the formation of Canterbury or Petersham, however they are assisting these clubs and will continue to do so.

Actually, I know the bloke who worked very hard to re-form Petersham Juniors. At the time he was the Sydney Uni Juniors President, and if it wasn't for him, Petersham juniors would not have got off the ground. Rest assured, Petersham Subbies did not want to know about the juniors reforming at the time. Now you all would know that I have been as critical as anyone of Uni, but when it comes to Petersham, it was Uni juniors who did all the hard work. They continue to do so and believe it or not, without a great deal of support from Uni seniors. The same person was also very involved in Balmain Juniors forming..............again, without the support of both of the senior clubs.

Credit where credit is due I guess.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Is anyone able to supply GAINS and LOSSES for each club in the Shute Shield?
Be interesting to see what players are actually coming into the competition and who have moved clubs etc.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Nice, how'd all the kids from colts last year go? Did any step to play 1sts? I remember watching them play last year and they had some guns who I was told were going to play grade this year. The likes of Bryce Speechley, Ethan Ford, Liam Walker, Tim Metcher and Dom Bower.

Speechley played 3s and got some time in 2s.
Ford played 1's
Walker and Bower played 2's with Bower scoring 2 length of the field tries.
Not sure about Metcher...

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Samu Wara to Randwick from Easts (ACT) - according to a board member they are willing to pay him quite a bit per match, and thus we had no hope of retaining him.

Almost a case of deja vu for us, Henry Vanderglas went in similar fashion to Randwick...

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Samu Wara to Randwick from Easts (ACT) - according to a board member they are willing to pay him quite a bit per match, and thus we had no hope of retaining him.

Almost a case of deja vu for us, Henry Vanderglas went in similar fashion to Randwick...

Sucks to say but Wara wouldnt have stayed in local JID Comp anyway, with him being on Full contract with Brumbies, he would have gone to a stronger club or competition regardless....

Brumbies need to invest more in local comp so these blokes stay. Empire, is Tom Toialoa back with Easts or gone to another club in Canberra?

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Had more to do with money than anything - he liked Easts and the culture at the club. Hard to knock back that kind of money however ($1500 a game).
If we had that kind of money, I'm pretty sure we would have had a good chance of retention.

Big Tommy - I'm not sure where we are up to here, he was coming, but hasn't arrived yet. Something to do with employment apparently.

I don't think he'd go anywhere else to play in Canberra, his connection with our coach is pretty strong - that's how we got him in the first place.

Also, should be noted he was 'retired' at the end of the season (many a drink on silly sunday celebrated this announcement). Not sure whether he has simply just wanted to remain out on the pasture.

W

waves

Results of trial matches anyone be interesting to see how a young Uni outfit will go against Eastwood ?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Results of trial matches anyone be interesting to see how a young Uni outfit will go against Eastwood ?

Only two grades played with no Colts, waves, apparently because of ground conditions. Only 30 minute halves.

Seconds, 2 tries each I think. Eastwood declared uncontested scrums from the start.

Firsts, 21-12 to Uni. Good physical game.

W

waves

Only two grades played with no Colts, waves, apparently because of ground conditions. Only 30 minute halves.

Seconds, 2 tries each I think. Eastwood declared uncontested scrums from the start.

Firsts, 21-12 to Uni. Good physical game.

How was the forwards battle ? Is it true Chris Alcock played ?

Status
Not open for further replies.