• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Albert

BR - How do Danny Kroll and Dave Dillon figure in Uni's plans? Do you reckon they'll spend much time in the top grade? I'm not privy to the factors which may have influenced their decision to join Uni, but they'll be a loss to the Randwick backline depth this season.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
BR - How do Danny Kroll and Dave Dillon figure in Uni's plans? Do you reckon they'll spend much time in the top grade? I'm not privy to the factors which may have influenced their decision to join Uni, but they'll be a loss to the Randwick backline depth this season.

Albert, obviously I'm not privy to Todd Louden's thinking but they both trialled well against Colleagues last weekend. I see Dave as coming back to where he started out. The fact that he is now back studying at Sydney Uni might have had some influence on his decision. They each have plenty of top grade experience.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Is Ben Johnson still going to Sydney Uni from Royals?

I've heard conflicting reports from people. I had it from him a few weeks back he was heading north... Wondering if that had changed?

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
How hard it must be for uni....they will now have to compete with only a handfull of contracted players and the rest amateur players- must be hard
oh wait thats what every other club has been doing for past 6years.....fortunatly they still have unlimited resources and Super 14 level coach so they may just survive

H

high tower

especially with the heavy recruitment and more intensive training being done by some other clubs.

F.
you must have been joking or having a seniors moment Bruce. You have told us any times how the Uni training regime is is superior to that of the Tahs and which club has recruited more heavily than Uni in the last 10 years on a consistent basis.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
you must have been joking or having a seniors moment Bruce. You have told us any times how the Uni training regime is is superior to that of the Tahs and which club has recruited more heavily than Uni in the last 10 years on a consistent basis.

Let me walk you through it, ht. What I said was:

it will be a major challenge to stay in touch, especially with the heavy recruitment and more intensive training being done by some other clubs.

My reference to "heavy recruitment" and "more intensive training" was in relation to what "some other clubs" had done in previous years. I had been specifically asked about the top grade. Uni does less outside recruiting of players at grade level than any other club.

I am informed that some clubs have really stepped up their training intensity and have invested seriously in gym equipment. That is a very good thing for the Sydney competition and for Australian rugby, but I would guess that they have some way to go before their systems outrank Uni's.

H

high tower

I see the points you are trying to make Bruce, but still find it hard to fathom that the two areas you raised as being a concern are areas where Uni leads the way, its a fact that uni does its recruiting at colts level and with picking up the odd transient Wallaby( i suppose berrick was just looking for a game and your ground was near to where he lives?), and yes without a junior club they must recruit at colts level, but it is amazing how many NSW schools players have drifted Uni's way in the last 5 years.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I was reading the Leicester Tigers Website and it say's that Mafi has had his contract for another 2 seasons. Good luck to him. I never quite understood why he was let go by the Waratahs and ARU. Now that he has played for Tonga I guess he will never be back. He gets pushed out the door because some idiot thought that Dud Root and Cam Jowitt were better prospects. Jowitt has been injured ever since he got here. Roodt is back in jappieland. Good call.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
reasonable start by Parra in first trials with Souths.
1s Souths 29- 19
2s Parra 27-5
3s Souths by a try
4s souths by 1s

Firsts colts Souths 5 trys to 3
2s colts parra 6trys to 3

Both teams had about 7 first graders out . Most impreseed from Parra perspective with improvement in defence in 1s and agression of the 2s. really seeing the benefit in 2s of blokes that played first grade before they were ready last year but who this year will be excellent 2nd graders and fringe firsts.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
If Cristini can pull anything out of the hat like he has done in previous years in the ACT, Parra will improve exponentially.

Mates of mine that have played under him laud the attitude, belief and skills he is able to instil in a club. He also has a holistic approach - when the club improves, it's not just 1st grade. Hope he can continue that - won't hurt to have Parramatta back on the front foot. It's a key area for any sports wishing to grow.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I was reading the Leicester Tigers Website and it say's that Mafi has had his contract for another 2 seasons. Good luck to him. I never quite understood why he was let go by the Waratahs and ARU.

I was pretty sad to see all that and I'd like to say that I thought he should have been persevered with and given a S14 contract, but I didn't. I think it was a case that he wasn't up to the mark physically but that he was close. Had he been in the Tahs academy last year he could have been playing with a Super Rugby contract now instead of O'Connor. But he took his chance in England and nobody can blame him.

I watch a lot of Premiership rugby and it has been good to see the lanky schoolboy I followed doing so well. He got his chance with the Tigers when they had injuries or were called upon for England and now is a top player as a 6 who can play lock. He is not lacking in physicality now and is playing with his peers.

I am not privy to what he was last offered by the Tahs and when that was done in relation to his decision to play in England, but I agree that we lost a good one there. At least the Tahs should not be short of good locks with Peterson due to step up in 2012 IMO.

br
That is an encouraging trials effort. Well done.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
I At least the Tahs should not be short of good locks with Peterson due to step up in 2012 IMO.

I saw Peterson on the sideline at the academy game at Knox on the weekend and he has certainly bulked up. Interesting to compare his career with his Oz schools teammate, Luke Jones, who hardly had any game time in 2010 and was not even on the bench with the Rebels on the weekend. Peterson by contrast played well beyond his years with the Marlins last year and looks set for a big future.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Agree with that. Greg has played a couple of games for the JWs and even a couple of quarters for the Tahs pre-season.

He's a big lad but I hope the Tahs can strip a bit of weight off him.

Luke Jones - he was done no favours by the Force in giving him a full contract the year after leaving school and to use him in a few games (most likely to suck him into staying out west). I haven't seen him play a full game as a senior player except one Oz Baas game in driving rain at Knox last year when I couldn't even recognise the Rats players.

I suspect that his treatment by Sydney Uni in playing him in 2nd grade last year was the appropriate one for him - with a view to playing him in the Ones this year before the Super players come back.

T

truckandtrailor

Does anyone know how the Randwick vs Gordan trial went? Anyone go to it? Who were some stand outs?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Luke Jones - he was done no favours by the Force in giving him a full contract the year after leaving school and to use him in a few games (most likely to suck him into staying out west). I haven't seen him play a full game as a senior player except one Oz Baas game in driving rain at Knox last year when I couldn't even recognise the Rats players.

I suspect that his treatment by Sydney Uni in playing him in 2nd grade last year was the appropriate one for him - with a view to playing him in the Ones this year before the Super players come back.

I believe he has signed for Manly, LG.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Every time I hear a player has SIGNED with a club it makes me cringe. As a Marlins fan I obviously want them to be strong, but this is becoming crazy. Maybe a new rule needs to be put in place about recruitment. It seems Manly, Souths and Easts are trying there hardest to out Uni, Uni.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
To be fair Lily, there are several new "signings" with Manly who are definite 1st graders who have moved there for opportunity not $$.

Status
Not open for further replies.