• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Parra GM

Every time I hear a player has SIGNED with a club it makes me cringe. As a Marlins fan I obviously want them to be strong, but this is becoming crazy. Maybe a new rule needs to be put in place about recruitment. It seems Manly, Souths and Easts are trying there hardest to out Uni, Uni.

I agree but unfortunately it is the nature of the competition these days. And in some cases, you actually need to sign them because the players just play the clubs off each other. The majority of the players are true to their word but there is an alarming number of players who constantly agree then move on to the next club and agree with them and so on. And that number is increasing. The problem is that the players read the papers and hear how SBW signs a 2 year deal with performance clauses and get out clauses etc etc and think they can do the same. There should be a rule in place about recruitment, however no matter what it is, the clubs will never agree to it because ultimately they only worry about themselves and dont look at it from a whole of competition perspective. With Luke Jones going to Manly, they will have the biggest pack in the comp and will take some beating. They also have recruited very well for backs and will be strong and have depth right across the park.

I see Brian Sefanaia signed a short term contract with the Force today. I bet he plays in 2nd grade for Manly when all the players are back

N

ned

Sorry waves but I disagree with you about not many uni players being selected for the Wallabies. Dan Vickerman wasn't given an ARU contract to play at Sydney Uni, he will be in the Wallaby squad and they need his aggression. Also the reserve half back will either be Phipps or Burgess. Berrick Barnes will be one of the first selected. Other players who could also make the Wallaby squad if they keep performing well are Dave Dennis, Dean Mumm, Ben McCalmen, Laurie Weeks and Tom Carter.

P

Parra GM

Sorry waves but I disagree with you about not many uni players being selected for the Wallabies. Dan Vickerman wasn't given an ARU contract to play at Sydney Uni, he will be in the Wallaby squad and they need his aggression. Also the reserve half back will either be Phipps or Burgess. Berrick Barnes will be one of the first selected. Other players who could also make the Wallaby squad if they keep performing well are Dave Dennis, Dean Mumm, Ben McCalmen, Laurie Weeks and Tom Carter.

Can I have some of whatever it is you're drinking please?

N

ned

HT you need to get your facts right, Sydney Uni has at least 2 junior clubs, being Canterbury and Petersham. Also there are a number of Colts players that have played at Canterbury and Petersham as juniors. Yes, Sydney Uni does get a lot of NSW schools players joining Colts, but that's what happens when you are successful, players with ability want to join a winning side

grievous

Johnnie Wallace (23)
HT you need to get your facts right, Sydney Uni has at least 2 junior clubs, being Canterbury and Petersham. Also there are a number of Colts players that have played at Canterbury and Petersham as juniors. Yes, Sydney Uni does get a lot of NSW schools players joining Colts, but that's what happens when you are successful, players with ability want to join a winning side

I would love to know what Uni does for Petersham and Canterbury. The only link Im aware of is Ben Boberts an ex player of Canterbury. In fact I would be interested to know if there is any formalised links between Grade and Subbies teams. I do know one club across the rd from Waverley college were told to keep thier hands off trying to lure schoolboys by Randwick.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)

I don't know how long these junior clubs have been Sydney Uni affiliates. I do know that a couple of years ago a very strong U15 Southern Districts side, with players such as Waldo Wessels and Silatolu Latu, that won the State title, were lock stock and barrel - players and coaching staff - playing as Sydney Uni in the 16's and last year as U17's in the State Champs

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
Does anyone know how the Randwick vs Gordan trial went? Anyone go to it? Who were some stand outs?

Randwick won all 4 grades.
3s and 4s was a shellacking with gordon offering little if no resistance.
2s was tighter and 1s was a close, physical game with the Wicks getting up 3 tries to 1...

T

truckandtrailor

Randwick won all 4 grades.
3s and 4s was a shellacking with gordon offering little if no resistance.
2s was tighter and 1s was a close, physical game with the Wicks getting up 3 tries to 1...

Nice, how'd all the kids from colts last year go? Did any step to play 1sts? I remember watching them play last year and they had some guns who I was told were going to play grade this year. The likes of Bryce Speechley, Ethan Ford, Liam Walker, Tim Metcher and Dom Bower.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Was watching the colts on the upper field but noticed Dom's headgear zipping around on the lower field. Can't speak for the rest of those guys though.

A

Albert

Nice, how'd all the kids from colts last year go? Did any step to play 1sts? I remember watching them play last year and they had some guns who I was told were going to play grade this year. The likes of Bryce Speechley, Ethan Ford, Liam Walker, Tim Metcher and Dom Bower.

Ford, Metcher and Walker still eligible for colts in 2011, but coach Morrison will use them in grade. Speechley and Bower, along with hooker Kesby, are the 'big guns' who have moved on from colts into the grade ranks. Wicks have bolstered colts with a few good schools players, including Tom Connor.

W

waves

Mate your pushing it a little haha some boys will get a look in but if you look at my team in brackets are those who I think will get a shot at being a Wallaby by the end of the tour. All were bracketed bar Dave Dennis , Laurie Weeks and Tom Carter I think.

Dave Dennis preferably a 6 (Blindside Flanker):
Competition -
1. Elsom
2. Brown - Inclusion of Palu will push him and McCalmen both to 6 or 8.
3. Hodgeson
4. Higginbotham
Close to no chance being selected unless injury or he obviously outplays one of his opponents.

Laurie Weeks at 3 (THP):
Competition -
1. Slipper
2. Alexander
3. Palmer - Starter brumbies.
4. Ma'afu - Plays with a Wallaby Frontrow in Moore and Alexander at the Brumbies also exposed to Wallaby duties before.
5. Himself - He starts on the bench for the Rebels ?? Until he cracks the starting team and plays consistant wont play at THP.

Tom Carter 12 (Inside Centre):
Competition -
1. Matt Giteau - Wont play 10 .
2. Berrick Barnes - Reserve 10 / 12.
3. Anthony Fainga'a has played for the Wallabies due to combo with Quade.
4. Giteau or Barnes will play more then likely play a full game at 12 dont see Tom making the cut at all.

And as for Randwick Colts:

that Metcher didnt see much of him dominate in colts last year dispite being Brumbies Academy likewise with Walker good kicking game but weak in defence. Although Ford , Bower and Speechley good players Bower a tad too small but speed kills especially his speed.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
HT you need to get your facts right, Sydney Uni has at least 2 junior clubs, being Canterbury and Petersham. Also there are a number of Colts players that have played at Canterbury and Petersham as juniors.

Sydney University Football Club had NOTHING to do with the formation of these two junior clubs. And nothing to do with them, apart from the last few years. Both Canterbury and Petersham had junior teams for many years before SU decided to come on the scene. SU's involvement stems from a move by other rugby clubs in the 90s to establish a set of criteria to play in the NSW premiership competition, one of which was the development of juniors in a club's catchment area. Everyone knew this would involve practical difficulties for a university club, and, to be honest, most others were prepared to cut SU a bit of slack. The current sponsorship/management/support from SU to Canterbury and Petersham is only done because they have the resources to do so. Canterbury RFC would've liked their juniors to remain attached to Southern Districts but they don't have the resources SU does.

I'd be very surprised if there were more than a handful of Canterbury and Petersham juniors running around in the blue and gold, but, if SU's contributing to rugby development in the inner west, I applaud them.

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
he current sponsorship/management/support from SU to Canterbury and Petersham is only done because they have the resources to do so. Canterbury RFC would've liked their juniors to remain attached to Southern Districts but they don't have the resources SU does.I'd be very surprised if there were more than a handful of Canterbury and Petersham juniors running around in the blue and gold, but, if SU's contributing to rugby development in the inner west, I applaud them.
---------------------
Petersham Rugby Club offer their facilities (fields) to Newington College for their rugby training. The director of New Rugby encourage parents in the school newsletter to support Petersham Rugby Club by playing for Petersham. Affiliation between Petersham and Syd Uni could be a pathway for kids from Newington to play for Uni?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

ned I'd be careful about accusing others of peddling misinformation. Uni began "attracting" a lot of NSW schools players when they were a cellar dweller in the mid nineties. It wasn't Uni's success "attracting" them either.

A

Ageing Parent

Lindommer, The same issue reared it's ugly head about 20 years ago in Grade Cricket - with the 2 Uni's being asked to provide junior players through Green Shield (then U15, I seem to recall) and the like, All about growing junior sport in their respectibve areas.
Whilst it is slightly off-topic, it will be interesting to see if Sydney Uni come to the party and assist the fledgling Inner West Minis Competition, being established to grow U6's to U9's junior rugby in the "inner west". Clubs participating I believe are Canterbury, Petersham, West Harbour, Drummoyne, Hunters Hill & a new club - Balmain Juniors (Linked to their subbies side). I understand that Balmain will affiliate with Syd Uni. Lets hope they get behind it.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Walker was a consistent performer for randwick colts last year, his move from 10 to 9 was one of the reasons they made the semis. Will be interested to see how he goes this year.

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
dave harvey was denied moving across to eastwood.....shame for the woods but good for gordon, from the sounds of things they need as many players as possible

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Anyone got any idea on whats happening with West Harbour, I know they have lost Volavola and Maafu, but have they lost any other players, or gained anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.