• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DEER HUNTER

I know Manly colts raise some money themselves to help out some country kids or families that are struggling financially. Nothing sinister.
Oh, and Manly throw 3 grand at 1st colts players - let alone 1st graders.

Before you start labelling things 'rubbish' go and do some research.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)

I would never ask someone to name a source, but i think your one has either spent too much time in the sun or he is smoking the good stuff.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I know Manly colts raise some money themselves to help out some country kids or families that are struggling financially. Nothing sinister.

That's not true. A club will always help out if they really want to land a talented player. The more work you put it generally the more you land especially from the country. It may be just a case of Manly putting 4 young Colts players in a Unit and paying/partially paying the unit for all 4 of them.

What's wrong with that? Some other things like finding jobs/apprenticeships and helping find accomadation that the club doesn't have to pay for and is cheaper than usual is also common.

It is nothing to do with finding 'a family that is struggling financially' clubs are not for profit organisations!

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
You're a funny one.

I won't name him, but he was a Joeys product, got a cheque from manly after his gap year and so on.

Happens to be one of my best mates too. I went up to watch him play for Manly colts in '08.

He isn't fond of the funny stuff, but does like the sun.

B

brynylon

The PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) team is Tonga A not the full Ikale Tahi team for World Cup2011

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
i know guys get paid at all clubs, i just think that it gets blown out of proportion.. I just spoke to a board member at randwick rugby club who is also a close personal friend about this, and he hadnt even heard of the guy (samu wara) so as for getting paid $1500 a week, i think thats been exaggerated...
i see a problem (as gordon & wests are facing now and souths will soon) when you pay players, everyone expects it. When the sponsor or benefactor decides after a few years to pull the money, lots of players leave (see wests and gordon 2011) chasing money elsewhere.
A couple of years ago one club coach almost sent 2 clubs in 2 years broke because of his player spending...(neither club won the comp or club championship)
I heard in 2008 guys in 3rd grade at parramatta were getting coin!! hahahah. no wonder parra leagues pulled out...
also, some guys will lie on their resume, get paid by a club, but be no good, so the club are almost trying to validate/justify them paying him by playing the bloke in higher grades...
I find your comments difficult to follow.
You say you know players get paid at all clubs , but think it's blown out of proportion.
Then you go on to mention Gordon , Wests & Parramatta , implying that they are suffering because they have overpaid players on the one hand ,but have lost sponsors & benefactors on the other ??
Those who are involved in club Rugby know that this is an oversimplification of
reality.
Certainly Gordon are still recovering from financial difficulties encountered in recent years , & the background to that is well known ,but saying "no wonder Parra leagues pulled out " suggests that you know little about their circumstances , & if you check West Harbours web site you will see that they made a profit of 100 K last year .In a recent conversation with a friend who is also a senior official at Wests , he told me that their sponsorship income is the highest it has ever been , & that they have the money , but they refuse to pay the amounts that some managers are asking for some players, & prefer to invest it in club facilities etc. & more's the power

I know of a player who has joined another club , almost certainly to play second grade , who is getting $700 a week plus a car plus insurance.
I also know for an absolute fact from my own personal experiences in these matters , that money is the final determinant in where many if not most , ultimately play their Rugby.
Union is following the rugby league model , where the the club with the best offer , & by implication the most money ,gets the player , which is hardly surprising .

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
These guys have such a limited opportunity to earn any coin. Instead of us - me included - berating them we should also show more compassion to the reasons why players change clubs. If I was working at one of the big 4 and one of my competitors asked me to come over for an extra 50k then I'd be gone. As would the rest of you. How many of these clubs pay you benefits or even cover all physio if you are not a rock star?

X

xmarksthespot

Worst thing to happen for club rugby this professional / semi professional domain. What gets me is solid 2nd graders asking for money...ridiculous.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)

Although its given that clubs pay players in Sydney and also a few in Canberra...I think you will find Samu Wara was always going back to Sydney regardless of what club he was playing for, or if he was getting paid (He gets good coin now being on a full time contract). Being from Sydney, his family is there, support network etc.
For those of you who have commented that you have never heard of Samu Wara, especially the Randwick "BOARD MEMBER", thats a bit rich considering he was part of the bunch that the Wicks approached two or three years ago to go to Coogee....and from that group of players, only Henry Vanderglas and Seilala Lam agreed (and yes I know this first hand), Sam decided to stick with Norths Rugby League before agreeing the following year to join the Brumbies.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
yeh, 2-3 years ago!!! the board changes quicker than a $2 hooker down at coogee mate, so thats probably why he hadnt heard of him... I spoke to the GM today, he hadnt heard of him either.

Although its given that clubs pay players in Sydney and also a few in Canberra...I think you will find Samu Wara was always going back to Sydney regardless of what club he was playing for, or if he was getting paid (He gets good coin now being on a full time contract). Being from Sydney, his family is there, support network etc.
For those of you who have commented that you have never heard of Samu Wara, especially the Randwick "BOARD MEMBER", thats a bit rich considering he was part of the bunch that the Wicks approached two or three years ago to go to Coogee....and from that group of players, only Henry Vanderglas and Seilala Lam agreed (and yes I know this first hand), Sam decided to stick with Norths Rugby League before agreeing the following year to join the Brumbies.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
yeh, 2-3 years ago!!! the board changes quicker than a $2 hooker down at coogee mate, so thats probably why he hadnt heard of him... I spoke to the GM today, he hadnt heard of him either.

I think most average punters would have a pretty good understanding of the contracted players for each of the Aus Super teams.. seems a bit odd for your GM not to.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
He has only been in the job for 12 months and is from overseas.
but why would he need to know all about a guy who isnt coming to the club anyway??

I think most average punters would have a pretty good understanding of the contracted players for each of the Aus Super teams.. seems a bit odd for your GM not to.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
He has only been in the job for 12 months and is from overseas.
but why would he need to know all about a guy who isnt coming to the club anyway??

if he has been here for 12months, he should know all avaliable Super 15 contracted players in Australia. Seems odd he has no clue who Samu Wara is, does this mean he doesnt know much about Australian Players at that level at all?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Totally agree he should know all Brumbies and Waratahs players at least. Most clubs go after the Brumbies guys and especially if they are originally from Sydney...

T

The Gunsmith

if he has been here for 12months, he should know all avaliable Super 15 contracted players in Australia. Seems odd he has no clue who Samu Wara is, does this mean he doesnt know much about Australian Players at that level at all?

I'd say there is some truth in that comment, but it sounds as if your implying that all club board members now need to be talent scouts. Quite possibly they are looking at juniors more now than paying large sums of money for S15 players.

Status
Not open for further replies.