• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
if he has been here for 12months, he should know all avaliable Super 15 contracted players in Australia. Seems odd he has no clue who Samu Wara is, does this mean he doesnt know much about Australian Players at that level at all?

just because he played down in the ACT doesnt mean he is a superstar or everyone has to know him.
Remind me again what he's actually done?

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
just because he played down in the ACT doesnt mean he is a superstar or everyone has to know him.
Remind me again what he's actually done?

He is orginally from Sydney, was with Sydney Roosters or West Tigers when Randwick chased him, the year after that was with North Sydney Bears before being signed by the Brumbies, spent one season playing club here before being put on a full time contract. So what has he done, he has gone from part time League Player to full time Professional player in the space of a year and half. Yet still unknown in Randwick cirlces according to you even if Randwick was throwing amounts at him in 08 (and I know have first hand knowledge of this fact). Its just funny that the bulk of the Randwick squad (Non Super 15 contracted players included), Most rugby players in Sydney and League players also would know who he is, the past two coaches - Ella and Giarchi (Hope I spelt that right) definitley know who he is, Im certain the current coach knows who he is, yet the President of the club and you have no clue who he is. Just strange but thats my opinion, I thought the President of a Powerhouse club like Randwick would have more visibility of the players there.

blindsider

Billy Sheehan (19)
ok, so a lower grade league player to a super15 brumby benchy.
How the hell did we miss him with such a fantastic resume?

Giacheri knows alot more than Randwicks board and GM put together, one very smart man. Probably why he isnt head coach anymore

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Apparently Bernie Orbell to Manly as well. I think he and Marshall Milroy are having a side bet on who can play for the most clubs. The Ma'as are also playing.
Does anyone know the current whereabouts of Rodney and Lamaarn Ma'a?

P

Parra GM

Apparently Bernie Orbell to Manly as well. I think he and Marshall Milroy are having a side bet on who can play for the most clubs. The Ma'as are also playing.

Rodney is playing for the Two Blues..............Cabramatta two Blues Rugby League.
Lamarn is not playing anywhere this year. Is concentrating on his career.

D

deefence

He is orginally from Sydney, was with Sydney Roosters or West Tigers when Randwick chased him, the year after that was with North Sydney Bears before being signed by the Brumbies, spent one season playing club here before being put on a full time contract. So what has he done, he has gone from part time League Player to full time Professional player in the space of a year and half. Yet still unknown in Randwick cirlces according to you even if Randwick was throwing amounts at him in 08 (and I know have first hand knowledge of this fact). Its just funny that the bulk of the Randwick squad (Non Super 15 contracted players included), Most rugby players in Sydney and League players also would know who he is, the past two coaches - Ella and Giarchi (Hope I spelt that right) definitley know who he is, Im certain the current coach knows who he is, yet the President of the club and you have no clue who he is. Just strange but thats my opinion, I thought the President of a Powerhouse club like Randwick would have more visibility of the players there.

Are you Samu Waru or his agent?

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
I'll 'fess up - I was told by two different board members on where this bloke was going. Apologies for being wrong.

He may not have heard of him, because he isn't going there.

In any case, as with most threads with speculative aspects, not everything will be correct.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)

Orbell is up to 5 right - Penrith, Wests, Wicks, Souths & now Manly? Milroy only 4 - Wests, Souths, Wicks & now Manly (Qld clubs as well, I guess).

Lamarn Maa's 4 clubs in 4 years by the age of 20 is tough to beat.

Jarrod Murphy got to 5 as well. Is he still running around? Anyone else in recent times get to 5 or more?

T

The Gunsmith

So 2011....though on teams to do well given all these off season changes?

Yes including Samu Waru, wherever he ends up haha

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
As an old timer I should be disturbed about the recent info about player payments at the club level, and the objections to it, but I'd like to see how it pans out.

About a month ago I wrote that finding a couple of Kevin Maloneys would do wonders for rugby west of the inner city. For the few that don't know: Maloney, who heads the Tulla Mining Group, has been connected with the club for a while and is their main sponsor. He is also a sponsor of the Reds.

It was taken the wrong way - as though I thought Maloneys were growing on trees and that I thought that clubs were not trying to find sugar daddies unless I told them. I just meant it would do wonders out west.

My point was that the status quo was not working and that Sydney rugby would limp along and not change doing the same old things in the amateur way. I expressed a wish, maybe in that post, but if not in earlier ones, and without purporting to know how to do it, that strong rugby outposts should be established away from the inner city.

If one of the ways of creating outposts and getting out of the amateur way of doing things is to attract long term sponsors to fund player recruitment I'm willing to see that strategy develop. I know the downside of it and that some clubs will lose players as we see happening now at the Rats, Rebels and Highlanders, but change has casualties. I also know that players don't change clubs (or stay at clubs) just for more money ** and appreciate the great side of amateur rugby more than most.

As an aside to my main point: there are too many teams in the Sydney comp yet I'd like to see it expanded with clubs from the Illawarra and Newcastle plus a couple more to make two divisions of 8, with teams subject to promotion and relegation. There are dangers here, especially if the very clubs west of the inner city that we want to build up are disadvantaged by this, but safeguards can be built in.

To be honest I have forgotten why the two division system in Sydney club rugby was disbanded, unless it was just political. Maybe the reasons for not having it are still valid, but in this semi-professional age of club rugby maybe we have to go back to the future. I can pick holes in my suggestions too, but some different things are needed, or at least attempted, even if they fail.

** see next post on this matter.

U

Upright

On the matter of players changing clubs not necessarily for more money: Ed Gower was reported in the Manly Daily of moving to Manly for less money than Gordon were offering him. He also said another club offered more than twice the amount he will get at the Marlins.

The full story is here: http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/for-love-not-money/

Could it be that Manly have concerns about his injury prone history? I don't think he played many games for Gordon last year. Also i suspect there may well be a clause setting out how many games he has to play in 1st grade before the good money kicks in - he may not earn much sitting in reserve grade.

T

The Gunsmith

Lee, agree with you. The majority of players in the Sydney comp dont play at a club or leave it because of money. At most it would be 20%.

The point of more teams is an interesting one. Would we be better of with more teams fielding 4 or 5 grades or fewer teams feilding only 2 grades? The inclusion of teams like Illawarra make it hard as they can only field 2 teams leaving most sydney lower grades without a game. I believe Rugby Clubs are there to provide games for anyone wanting to play the game. If Gordon, Easts, Parramatta or Randwick get enough guys to field 5 teams each then they have an obligation to make sure these guys play opositons week in week out.

I do like the idea of relegation and promotion...

B

Balcknred

Wouldn't it be wonderful to go back to the old district system ... Would make a rather interesting comp

Status
Not open for further replies.