• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Is Howill the weak one at line outs, he seems tk Sherk any responsibility there, he never calls or organises, Simmons, vickers and sharp all do.

Thats a little pejorative. If he isn't doing it all the time at super or better yet test level,I wouldn't start him now.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
You clearly underestimate the Bokke improvement since Durban.

1 Tendai Mtawarira with Gurthrö Steenkamp
5 Bakkies Botha with Danie Rossouw
7 Danie Rossouw with Schalk Burger
10 Butch James with Morné Steyn
15 Francois Steyn with Patrick Lambie

Beast, Jannie Doep, Bakkies, Matfield, Brussouw, Spies, FdP, M Steyn, Habs, Fourie, JdV & JPP started their first test of the season in Durban. The Bokke have gone upwards since that test and the Wallabies have gone down in form.

He didn't even mention the Boks, so I'm sure how you can say he underestimated them!

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hitting the agree button doesn't do this summary justice. I think this is spot on.

The problem for Higginbotham is that he has been used poorly, and has not really been exposed at Test level lately to playing a tough, tight, grinding style of game. He always seems to be brought on against teams when the game is done, and is not required to graft. As a consequence, we don't really know if he can. I don't think he is best served playing him the way he was used by Qld. Before Reds fans get all worked up at me, I admit, sure it worked well for them, no argument, but it will not build him into the type of 6 I think we really need. If nothing else, this RWC is showing that hard-nosed, uncompromising type loose forwards are needed far more than those playing it looser. I don't blame him at all, I think he has been asked to play like this. We have not seen the best of him at Test level, by any stretch.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bob Dwyer summed up Higginbotham very well imo

Some will complain that I have not included Higginbotham in this group, given his size and outstanding pace. I must say that I have been singularly unimpressed with him in this season’s internationals to date. Simply put, he is way too loose. A forward who runs looking for space and expecting ‘someone else’ to get the ball to him in that space, will have no place in my team. If he rarely comes into contact with the opposition, he might as well be a little bloke.

His role, and that of all of the forwards, is to play in the middle and make space for others. Then, frequently, he will arrive into those close spaces and his size and pace will be put to excellent effect. As an example, just consider the difference that Daniel Vickerman has made to the team. He’s a big bloke who is always in contact with the opposition. He’s smart, too — smart enough to understand the role that he’s playing and the benefits he’s creating.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That young sheep in nz predicted that we are going to win and the all blacks are going to lose. I suspect the sheep will soon become mutton.

Isn't it Richie McCow?
article-mccow-420x0.jpg

grievous

Johnnie Wallace (23)
86% want Barnes ahead of McCabe in a SMH poll. Deans knows something we dont...doesnt he?????
Im in the 86% but one man isnt going to do it. Its all about attitude, if they look lost in the 1st five, get pinged in the scrums its over, over, 4 more years, 2 with Deans.
SA can be beaten but we HAVE to play like we did in the Brisbane Bled. I think of 4 years ago probably to this day when we got spanked by the Poms, im not confident as I was pre game then, Ive been through hell and back but the big question is what have these highly paid sports stars learnt since then.
3 things
We havent learnt squat and there will be no end to the mire for years to come
We have learnt but are simply not good enough
We have learnt, we win

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
LOL - I suffer from accute PreMatchTension and if past RWCs are any gage by Sunday morning I should be totally insufferable.
I plan to calm my PMT with early laps in the pool followed by long walk away from other human beings.

Why Does it take 100 hardcore Wallabie fans with PMT to change a lightglobe?

Off Topic I know, but for God's sake, FANATIC, answer the bloody question!! I just replaced 4 x incandescent globes with 4 x "you beaut" (mercury filled) ones with my PMT, on a 2m step ladder!!......The light they give off is s#*thouse, but my Carbon Footprint looks good!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
86% want Barnes ahead of McCabe in a SMH poll. Deans knows something we dont...doesnt he?????
Im in the 86% but one man isnt going to do it. Its all about attitude, if they look lost in the 1st five, get pinged in the scrums its over, over, 4 more years, 2 with Deans.
SA can be beaten but we HAVE to play like we did in the Brisbane Bled. I think of 4 years ago probably to this day when we got spanked by the Poms, im not confident as I was pre game then, Ive been through hell and back but the big question is what have these highly paid sports stars learnt since then.
3 things
We havent learnt squat and there will be no end to the mire for years to come
We have learnt but are simply not good enough
We have learnt, we win

Well I'm in the 14% and strongly believe McCabe is a better option than Barnes. I look back at our losses last year, especially the England one at Twickenham and to me it was directly because we didn't make enough dominant tackles.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Well I'm in the 14% and strongly believe McCabe is a better option than Barnes. I look back at our losses last year, especially the England one at Twickenham and to me it was directly because we didn't make enough dominant tackles.

enough dominate tackles at 12?

U

Utility Back

When has Barnes ever been a dominant tackler? He won't miss the tackles but he doesn't make dominant tackles, huge difference.

The whole backline really, their backrowers were having a field day at wide with all the space they were given.

Did you really not get the Mcbarnes thing there?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
http://www.keo.co.za/2011/10/07/7-oct-marshall-clip/

Keo reckons we're farked.

Don't agree with him most of the time but as much as it irks me, this time around I do.

Forecast is no rain at the moment.

As fir Sharpe, appears he is rated more in SA than in Aus which tells me something.

Maybe Robbie thinks that Dan will really get up against his old country?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Que? My post was limited to an assessment of the Wallabies, PB. I simply think getting rid of two seagulls out of the starting XV (and one out of the XXII), and having a better bench than Durban, makes the Wallabies better.

I also think Barnes should be starting ahead of McCabe, but he's not.

OK Sorry Boet, my hopes are on the Bokke improvement since that test.

and Skotman, concentrate on Lawrense and leave me and Sluggy alone.

T

tranquility

True, I guess my reasoning is that the defence is more important than the attack in a quarter final.

Missed "McBarnes", is that suppose to be 10. Barnes 12. McCabe?

Ha ha, think more laterally mate. I think he was referring to a player that has the strengths of both players. Unfortunately McBarnes does not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.