• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
True, I guess my reasoning is that the defence is more important than the attack in a quarter final.

Missed "McBarnes", is that suppose to be 10. Barnes 12. McCabe?

Combine the best of Berrick and McCabe and you get McBarnes.

I am ok with Barnes starting from the bench. I do think it will be a defence dominated game and so space (if any) is likely to arise later in the game. Plus if we are ahead we should play territory in the last 10 or so and Berrick is best suited to that. My bigger concern is that, in my mind, there are injury clouds over both berrick (his war with headaches isn't over in my mind) and McCabe given the boks will be very physical, especially through the 10/12 channel, especially if they sense blood there. I suspect its why Deans went with a 4-3 bench and why higgers missed out.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If we lose this game on a sub standard performance by McCabe and too much pressure on QC (Quade Cooper) as the only play maker then Deans has to resign. His selection this world cup are mind boggling!

How on earth can you leave our best tactical kicker on the bench in the wet?

What a fucking pelican

If Cooper can't handle the pressure then maybe it's his place we should be questioning instead?

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
The whole centre debate has been done to death. Amazing really - I think we can win with either guy there IF our forwards turn up. (We didn't lose to Ireland because of lack of penetration in the centres (or the ref for that matter), we lost because our forwards got belted). Unfortunately I don't think we have been able to be confident about our forwards turning up for about 9 years.

A much earlier thread made a very good point - the Australian forwards talk constantly about physicallity like it is an something they have decided to add to the game plan. Sth Africa & NZ (& England) don't talk much about it because it is just what they do.

Still, I remain optimistic.

H

H...

The whole centre debate has been done to death. Amazing really - I think we can win with either guy there IF our forwards turn up. (We didn't lose to Ireland because of lack of penetration in the centres (or the ref for that matter), we lost because our forwards got belted). Unfortunately I don't think we have been able to be confident about our forwards turning up for about 9 years.

A much earlier thread made a very good point - the Australian forwards talk constantly about physicallity like it is an something they have decided to add to the game plan. Sth Africa & NZ (& England) don't talk much about it because it is just what they do.

Still, I remain optimistic.

I'd go along with that.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Ha ha, think more laterally mate. I think he was referring to a player that has the strengths of both players. Unfortunately McBarnes does not exist.

Not yet but I can build him! Mark my words. He will live!

Sent using Tapatalk

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Our forwards will turn up. Alexander, Kepu, Moore, Elsom Horwill and Vickerman will be on fire for this game. Pocock will be Pocock. Immense, indomitable and tireless.

And so will the Boks, it is going to be a battle to remember assuming the weather isn't putrid. If the weather is foul it will be a battle, but maybe not so memorable.

It may not be pretty, but it will be one hell of a game.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Hope your right, and to be honest I am confident. Mostly we seem to have the annoying habit of not fronting for games which we are favourite for - maybe they read too much of their own press.

And, even though we were ordinary against Ireland I think Moore has been a stand out for us this year and Pocock irreplaceable. Unfortunately TPN had an absolutely forgettable game which robbed us of any chance to gain momentum. All up, while it is a fair arguement that one player wouldn't have made a difference in this case I think two players made an enormous difference.

Looking forward to both packs going absolutely hammer and tongs.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I'm on the fence there... but they're definitely a similar style of player, which is why you need Sharpe there to command the lineout (for our own safe ball and to disrupt the opposition), and to act as another ball carrying forward...

We don't lose because of lineout woes. We lose because of breakdown woes, 100% of the time.

W

Waylon

McCabe is our weakness
he'll get belted
perhaps they have a "cut one" move where Mccabe is a decoy? I hope they use it every play with all it's variations
McCabe is a sloth who gets belted behind the ad line and dies with the ball 100% of the time

Pauly

Sydney Middleton (9)
TSR is right: our pigs have to show up and play to the best of their ability as a unit, just like they did at Lang Park against the ABs in that first half. That's the only way we'll roll SA.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
McCabe is our weakness
he'll get belted
perhaps they have a "cut one" move where Mccabe is a decoy? I hope they use it every play with all it's variations
McCabe is a sloth who gets belted behind the ad line and dies with the ball 100% of the time

*yawn*

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
If the forwards are outmatched, there is a way to play. They didn't turn up for the Ireland game and the backs didn't adapt. It's a team game and blaming the forwards for a woeful team performance simply ignores the core issue of the team that's the problem. Dicision making, where the f were the kicks for the corner, the field position, the safe option to draw defenders, it's bulkshit to suggest the back line didn't play a factor in us losing, they allowed the opposition to dictate play and in doing so submitted.

As long as we plan our team around our opposition instead of standing fast with a team we believe in and forcing the opposition to adapt we will never have as much self belief as fans that our young head strong players do.

Status
Not open for further replies.