• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
That young sheep in nz predicted that we are going to win and the all blacks are going to lose. I suspect the sheep will soon become mutton.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
If we lose this game on a sub standard performance by McCabe and too much pressure on QC (Quade Cooper) as the only play maker then Deans has to resign. His selection this world cup are mind boggling!

How on earth can you leave our best tactical kicker on the bench in the wet?

What a fucking pelican

Wallaby team that started in Durban was:

Kurtley Beale, James O’Connor, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Pat McCabe, Digby Ioane, Quade Cooper, Will Genia,

Same backs picked this time

Scott Higginbotham, David Pocock, Rocky Elsom (capt), James Horwill, Nathan Sharpe, Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, Sekope Kepu.

Samo in for Hbum, Vickerman in for Sharpe - form selections reflecting the hard tight work requirement, not seagulling

Reserves: Saia Fainga'a, Salesi Ma’afu, Sitaleki Timani, Radike Samo, Ben McCalman, Luke Burgess, Anthony Fainga'a

The tight 5 replacements are improved and reflect recovery from injury; Adding Barnes meant Hbum missed out.

Overall the team for the QF is an improvement on Durban, particularly on the bench; Hopefully Deans' use of the bench has improved, and the fact he has gone 4/3 seems to indicate Barnes will actually be used.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So if you disregard provincial form, and you don't give someone much opportunity in test arena, how are you supposed to know if they are worth of selection?

Super rugby is not test rugby, but you have to earn your stripes there before you step up.

he has had opportunities, no one has been disregarded, someone else has just been preferred for this game

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I thought Deans was smart when he played Sharpe against the Boks, but had Vickerman against the AB's.

The AB's cause us a lot more trouble at the breakdown than the Boks, and one of the Boks' strongest attributes is their lineout, which Sharpe dominated last time.

Never thought I'd say this, but I agree with you on this Slim.

Not the part that Deans is smart though.......I'll never agree with that!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You don't get it Slim, our 3 weakest points are the scrum, breakdown and collisions.

3 of Sharpe's weaknesses.

Our lineout is not a weakness, and it's not even worse with Vickerman there, see the Italy game. The only part of the game where Sharpe is superior to Vickerman is ball carrying.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
You don't get it Slim, our 3 weakest points are the scrum, breakdown and collisions.

Our lineout is not a weakness, and it's not even worse with Vickerman there, see the Italy game. The only part of the game where Sharpe is superior to Vickerman is ball carrying.

You'd think he would of learnt how to scrum and do work at the breakdown by now hey? Young Rob Simmons is far superior to him in all aspects except ball carrying, they are equal with the line-outs.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Wallaby team that started in Durban was:

Kurtley Beale, James O’Connor, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Pat McCabe, Digby Ioane, Quade Cooper, Will Genia,

Same backs picked this time

Scott Higginbotham, David Pocock, Rocky Elsom (capt), James Horwill, Nathan Sharpe, Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, Sekope Kepu.

Samo in for Hbum, Vickerman in for Sharpe - form selections reflecting the hard tight work requirement, not seagulling

Reserves: Saia Fainga'a, Salesi Ma’afu, Sitaleki Timani, Radike Samo, Ben McCalman, Luke Burgess, Anthony Fainga'a

The tight 5 replacements are improved and reflect recovery from injury; Adding Barnes meant Hbum missed out.

Overall the team for the QF is an improvement on Durban, particularly on the bench; Hopefully Deans' use of the bench has improved, and the fact he has gone 4/3 seems to indicate Barnes will actually be used.

You clearly underestimate the Bokke improvement since Durban.

1 Tendai Mtawarira with Gurthrö Steenkamp
5 Bakkies Botha with Danie Rossouw
7 Danie Rossouw with Schalk Burger
10 Butch James with Morné Steyn
15 Francois Steyn with Patrick Lambie

Beast, Jannie Doep, Bakkies, Matfield, Brussouw, Spies, FdP, M Steyn, Habs, Fourie, JdV & JPP started their first test of the season in Durban. The Bokke have gone upwards since that test and the Wallabies have gone down in form.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Have you not watched our lineout this year?

It's been substantially weaker than last year.

The Italians are not strong lineout operators.

I've never said that Sharpe was better at the breakdown or the scrum... I've clearly acknowledged this several times.

I think it is you who is not getting it.

We can't completely disregard some aspects of our games to fix others.

There has to be a balance there.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You'd think he would of learnt how to scrum and do work at the breakdown by now hey? Young Rob Simmons is far superior to him in all aspects except ball carrying, they are equal with the line-outs.

Not sure about that, I think Simmons is seriously out of his depth at this level, not to say he won't be there in the future, he's just too young atm. I'm happy to see Sharpe on the bench, from what I can see from the selections I would not be surprised to see Sharpe, Vickerman and Horwill on the field at the same time at one stage. Horwill to 6 and Elsom to 8 when Samo gets tired.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Is Howill the weak one at line outs, he seems tk Sherk any responsibility there, he never calls or organises, Simmons, vickers and sharp all do.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Are we going to get back onto the McCabe vs Barnes debate now? haha

I think Kafe's breakdown pointed out the strengths/weaknesses of both quite well. No need to add to that.

And it's probably wise not to continue on with a lock debate with qwerty.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I think Kafe's breakdown pointed out the strengths/weaknesses of both quite well. No need to add to that.

He pointed out barnes strengths/weakness & McCabes strength/weaknesses

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
When Barnes is fully fit he is easily our best 12. The 2009 Tri Nations game against the ABs at Eden Park was easily our best half at Eden park in a long whiel and it is no surprise it went to crap once he went off injured. I don't see the need for another crash ball center when AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can do that job.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
You clearly underestimate the Bokke improvement since Durban.

Que? My post was limited to an assessment of the Wallabies, PB. I simply think getting rid of two seagulls out of the starting XV (and one out of the XXII), and having a better bench than Durban, makes the Wallabies better.

I also think Barnes should be starting ahead of McCabe, but he's not.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)

I think the most telling stat from that segment was that McCabe had only passed the ball 3 times in the whole tournament. Not an encouraging stat when our most devistating attacking players are outside backs. I suspect its more game plan related, but still.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Speaking of breakdown infringements.

The Wallabies really need to attack down Habana's side of the field.

That guy seems to have zero understanding of the breakdown and there's been so many games in recent times where he's just been an absolute penalty magnet...

He also has a big sook for about two minutes after anyone touches him.

Status
Not open for further replies.