• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Surely you mean tongs? :p

LOL - yes, definitely tongs. Obviously I should have checked.

For the record, WJ you are right to point out that the backs didn't help. But my point was they were no chance of winning behind that forward performance. And, in a perverse way you could argue that the two players who most did their jobs were McCabe and Ant - as many have pointed out they are picked almost exclusively to tackle. From memory they didn't make any mistakes in this regard. To be honest I thought Deans should have gone for Barnes and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). I just don't think that the difference is as significant as some would make out and I think some of the criticism of McCabe is unfair. Yes he is limited, but he, Ioane and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can give us a wall in the mid field and I can undertsand the value of that.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
As I have stated before, I was in favor or Barnes starting over McCabe but in the spirit of getting behind the boys and believing that we will win - Peppermint understands upon what strengths he has been selected and will get out and have a blinder. I am hoping he smashes some tackles and gets the ball runner going ass-over-titty and our forwards go straight over the top. That sort of defense from the backline WILL inspire our forwards to lift there own efforts should it be lacking. Once we established some ascendancy at the ruck the x-factor magic will follow.

Re: Sharpe v Vickerman v Horwill at lineuots - I tend to feel our lineout problems tend to be more the product of shit lineout throwing. TPN and Fingers have both been awful on their throws of late. If Moore gets the ball in straight and in the right spot then the lineout will be fine regardless of who is jumping. I am wondering now if Vickerman's couple of seasons away from Super and Test rugby are making it a little harder for him to adjust his style at the breakdown? Surely the law interpretations from the refs are different to when he was last playing and maybe he has not yet had enough game time to adjust. I may be stretching it here as I am going by memory as opposed to research, but I do recall Vickerman having somewhat of a "history" of performing very well against his "old country" - now this is going back several seasons of course, but I recall thinking how much it fired him up when we played the Saffas. At that time, I think was considered one our forward stars and one of the best locks in the world - as such he always seemed to lift considerably against SA. He was often on the end of some special treatment from Bakkies and I believe his hardness was very much the product of having to deal with this kind of crap on the field. What I am trying to say is, playing SA brings the best out of Vickerman.

P

potjiekos

The suspense is killing me!!!

With all the injuries to the team, I hope the boks are walking on eggshells back at their hotel.

Been having recurring nightmares of Big Vic banging his big toe in the shower on matchday morning, as well as of BdP being kidnapped by some clandestine Aussie government agency an hour before kickoff! .....(where's my meds!!??)

W

What2040

the old saying that forwards win matches the backs decide by how much so so true this week.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I think Fourie is closer to McBarnes than Nonu myself, but the comparisons do McCabe injustice. The only player I know of in SH rugby with McCabes defensive abilities is Tom Carter. In fact Carter is better.

Smith is the most rounded Centre.

McCabes poor attack and distribution is largely a function of the role he has been given by Deans, and his limited experience at 12. It isn't a lack of speed.

With some variations on his lines, I think he will surprise people. Part of that is him running the lines, part Cooper setting him. To date Cooper hasn't.

We saw a glimpse of that at Eden Park early in the game vs the ABs where he got rapidly around the pack. But for a very good Carter tackle he would have been gone with JOC (James O'Connor) in support.

Presumably he can actually kick fairly well, but again the nature of the game he is tasked with doesn't allow for it.

The lad is what, 24? Frank Bunce didn't play a test until he was 30.

He'll do ok for us in the coming years :)

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Much as kidnapping BdP appeals Pot, I think ASIO using the old dream suggestion method on PDivvy to make crap selection choices would suffice. Oh wait... er, never mind, as you were.

Seriously though, somehow the bugger bumbled through to a very good 22. BdP, Roussouw, Brussouw, F Steyn until he was hurt and Hougaard have re-energised the side. Begs the question of what the Boks would be fielding had they opened selections more in 08 and 09.

Maybe a talented team that loses to a brain fade every 3 or 4 games ;)

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I may be one of the only ones to think that losing steyn will be better for the boks. He is still prone to errors and I saw a weaker than normal bok midfield defense vs Samoa.
Fran Steyn's place kicking range puts fierce pressure on the breakdown though.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby-world-cup-2011/news/article.cfm?c_id=522&objectid=10757485

This has got to be a good sign.

Fans heading to the Rugby World Cup 2011 quarter-final matches in Wellington this weekend can expect dry weather.

Dry conditions and a strong cold southerly are expected for the Ireland - Wales clash today.

It'll be warmer for tomorrow's game between South Africa and Australia.

MetService meteorologist Daniel Corbett says some extra clothing makes sense today.

"It looks chilly but Sunday looks fine, you will not need many layers of clothing but if you're going on Saturday it may come in handy," says Mr Corbett.

John the baptist

Stan Wickham (3)
To Barbarian, Swat, Scully, Cyclo Qwerty and Others

Every good wish for your quarter final. It will be good for world rugby if you win.

I might be a bit one eyed if we meet again in this competition - but there is absolutely no denying the beauty of the rugby that both Australia and Wales can play. Long may those traditions live.

But maybe after Ireland win the WRC ;))

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
[/B]

Off Topic I know, but for God's sake, FANATIC, answer the bloody question!! I just replaced 4 x incandescent globes with 4 x "you beaut" (mercury filled) ones with my PMT, on a 2m step ladder!!......The light they give off is s#*thouse, but my Carbon Footprint looks good!
Why Does it take 100 hardcore Wallabie fans with PMT to change a lightglobe?

:)

It is usually the Coaches job to change the lightglobes but due to too much darkness since 2007 the Wallaby fans NOW want it done properly.

ok, so I may never win any joke competitions but it won't stop me.

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
We don't lose because of lineout woes. We lose because of breakdown woes, 100% of the time.

ummmm.... we lose because of BOTH.

If we have our ball stolen in the lineout it is JUST as dangerous, sometimes more, depending on field position.

If our lineout goes to shit, and the kickers dont have confidence in our own lineout then they won't kick for touch and the game takes a totally differnet shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.