• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Pool D - Fiji, Namibia, Wales, South Africa, Samoa

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rolland not doing samoa any favours towards the end.

Standard of refing is shithouse at the moment. Its a blight on the game.

One of the big stuff ups I've noticed at the break down is the tackler & ball carrier going to ground & the ball carrier getting penalised for holding on when in reality it was the tackler that was refusing to let the ball & the player go. It's been constantly happening & its an area that really shits me whilst watching any games of Rugby, & I say this even as a Flanker who could well take advantage of stuff ups like these.

A

antipodean

Well done Wales, great defence. Bad luck Samoa, but if you had anyone other than that useless fuck Lavea, it may have been a different story.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
As a Blues fan I had serious misgivings about Manu putting him in to start and unfortunately, my fears were not ungrounded. A class 10 has always been a struggle for us to find....maybe Fotuali'i could have gone to 10?? Surely couldn't do much worse than Valea....sorry Lavea

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
'Stop exploiting my people': Samoa centre launches Twitter tirade at IRB
September 20, 2011 - 7:13AM

Samoa centre Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu has launched a Twitter tirade against the International Rugby Board (IRB) after his team had a four-day turnaround only before Sunday's World Cup clash against Wales.

The Welsh had a week between their first two matches at the tournament and beat the Samoans 17-10 in what was considered a pivotal encounter in the battle for second place in Pool D which would mean a quarter-final place.

"How do we stop the injustice of being treated differently from Wales and the rich? Eh #IRB ? Tell us!!!," read a post on Fuimaono-Sapolu's Twitter page (twitter.com/#!/Eliota-Sapolu).

"#IRB, Stop exploiting my people. Please, all we ask, is fairness. If they get a week, give us a week. Simple. #equity #justice.

"Give Wales 3 days off and give Samoa a week! We would kill them!"

Fuimaono-Sapolu, who came on as a replacement in the game in Hamilton, could face sanctions if his comments are found to be in breach of the IRB guidelines on the use of social media at the tournament.

"It's odd sanctioning someone for pointing out injustice. God would hold me in contempt if I didn't. whatever they do, I'm not fussed," Fuimaono-Sapolu added in a later post.

A Samoa spokesman, who confirmed that it was Fuimaono-Sapolu's Twitter page, said the team would be holding a management meeting today to discuss the outburst and that the players had been made aware of the IRB guidelines.

Canada coach Kieran Crowley and Scotland coach Andy Robinson have both criticised the discrepancy in turnaround times at the tournament in more temperate terms.

The tournament derives a majority of its revenue from television rights, which causes some problems for scheduling.

Either all the matches would have to be played at the weekends, which would extend the tournament beyond its current seven weeks, or the major nations would have to play in midweek, which would be unacceptable to the television companies.

Another solution would be to reduce the tournament to 16 teams, which would mean fewer places for the weaker nations.

Reuters

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I wouldnt reduce the number of teams I think increasing the duration of the tornament is probably the only answer. I think it stinks that teams like Samoa get shafted this way, its supposed to be about the best team not the best schedule pandering for the demands of TV. I totally agree with Eliota, I wouldve liked to have seen Wales have a shorter turn around & see how that would turn out. Maybe I'm just really disappointed for Samoa.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Suggest having matches held in the same format as the soccer's World Cup, notwithstanding the fact that the soccer version has 12 more teams than that of rugby's, where each team had like four or five day's turnaround with no byes...

It didn't matter whether or not the best games were on a weekend or not, it was simply a month (and a bit) long carnival with at least 2 games a day up to the knockout stage, why not do the same with the rugby? If people in countries on the other side of the world can take a month off work to watch games of soccer in the witching hours or early morning, they can do the same with rugby!

I hope to see the day before I die that the RWC is on par with that of soccer!

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think right now there isn't much the IRB can do about this in the short term (logistically). But hopefully the development of the lower tier nations will increase the level or attention the RWC gets worldwide, which may lead to changes being made.

I have to agree with Seahorse here, I think I might just be a bit sorry for Samoa, cause they are one of my 2nd teams and probably could of won that match (taking nothing away from the Welsh). But it goes for Canada aswell, short turn-around from the Tonga to France game, and they were in it up untill 65 minutes where fatigue set it in, fatigue that probably wouldn't of been as apparent if they had a longer break.

But as I said, the IRB really can't do anything about it right now, they have to do what is the most beneficial financially.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The difference is that the IRB makes all their money from the RWC and tv rights.

FIFA makes money from bribes.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I think right now there isn't much the IRB can do about this in the short term (logistically). But hopefully the development of the lower tier nations will increase the level or attention the RWC gets worldwide, which may lead to changes being made.

I have to agree with Seahorse here, I think I might just be a bit sorry for Samoa, cause they are one of my 2nd teams and probably could of won that match (taking nothing away from the Welsh). But it goes for Canada aswell, short turn-around from the Tonga to France game, and they were in it up untill 65 minutes where fatigue set it in, fatigue that probably wouldn't of been as apparent if they had a longer break.

But as I said, the IRB really can't do anything about it right now, they have to do what is the most beneficial financially.

Fuck that. The IRB is charging 80 million pounds for the hosting rights in 2015 and 96 million pounds in 2019. The RWC will cost NZ about $300,000,000 this year. Teams like Manu Samoa are fundraising right up to the last minute to get there....they could at least get a fair shot at competing on the field.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Big Brother house Africa vs Small Boet:
Sport24 Qoutes
Boks change five for Namibia
2011-09-19 21:13Email | Print

Gio Aplon (File)

Related Links
England call up Waldrom
Why Boks must give Flo a game
White not surprised at Boks

Cape Town - The Springboks on Tuesday made five changes to the starting line-up for their Rugby World Cup Pool D match against Southern African neighbours Namibia at the North Harbour Stadium in Auckland.

WIN a pair of the new adidas rugby boots

WIN a Rugby World Cup ball

Wing Gio Aplon, scrumhalf Francois Hougaard, utility forward Willem Alberts and tighthead prop CJ van der Linde were all given their first starts of the tournament while Bryan Habana was recalled from injury to resume in the No 11 jersey.

Four players were unavailable for selection due to injury, while Springbok coach Peter de Villiers opted to bring in fresh legs in the hope of sustaining the team’s momentum. Locks Victor Matfield and Johann Muller, centre Jean de Villiers and flyhalf Butch James were not considered for the match.

Scrumhalf Fourie du Preez and flanker Heinrich Brüssow both dropped to the bench while wings JP Pietersen and Odwa Ndungane and tighthead prop Jannie du Plessis were rested altogether.

In one other change on the bench, Chiliboy Ralepelle was included in a match 22 for the first time when he was drafted in for Bismarck du Plessis, who is also rested.

Thursday’s match kicks off at 20:00 (10:00 SA time).

Teams:

South Africa:
15 Pat Lambie, 14 Gio Aplon, 13 Jaque Fourie, 12 Frans Steyn, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Schalk Burger, 6 Willem Alberts, 5 Danie Rossouw, 4 Bakkies Botha, 3 CJ van der Linde, 2 John Smit (captain), Gurthro Steenkamp.

Substitutes: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 Tendai Mtawarira, 18 Francois Louw, 19 Heinrich Brüssow, 20 Fourie du Preez, 21 Ruan Pienaar, 22 Juan de Jongh.
Like the look of the backline with Aplon and Hougie starting, lack of a fetcher and Flo should have started for Schalkie. Schalk, Battleship and Brussouw should have been cotton wooled.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
SuidWes team
Namibia:
15 Chrysander Botha, 14 Danie Dames, 13 Danie van Wyk, 12 Piet van Zyl, 11 Heine Bock, 10 Theuns Kotze, 9 Eugene Jantjies, 8 Jacques Nieuwenhuis, 7 Jacques Burger (c), 6 Tinus du Plessis, 5 Nico Esterhuyse, 4 Heinz Koll, 3 Marius Visser, 2 Bertus O'Callaghan, 1 Johnnie Redelinghuys

Substitutes: 16 Hugo Horn, 17 Jané du Toit, 18 Pieter Jan van Lill, 19 Rohan Kitshoff, 20 Ryan de la Harpe, 21 Darryl de la Harpe, 22 Conrad Marais

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Bokke detail:
PLAYERS’ MILESTONES & RECORDS

◦John Smit will captain the Springboks for a world record 82nd time. It will also be his 15th test in RWC tournaments and 10th as captain. John made his RWC debut in 2003 against Uruguay as a replacement hooker. In this match he will extend his Springbok record as the most capped hooker to 94 caps and become the most capped Springbok with 109 Tests.
◦Bryan Habana shares the record for most tries in tests for South Africa with Joost van der Westhuizen. Both scored 38 career tries.
◦Jaque Fourie holds the Springbok record for most career tries as a centre (27). Following his try against Fiji on Saturday he shares with Bryan Habana the Springbok record of eight tries in RWC tournaments.
◦Morne Steyn needs 24 points to reach 400 points in his test career.
◦Danie Rossouw has now scored five tries in RWC tournaments to share the Springbok record for most RWC career tries with Juan Smith.
◦Schalk Burger is South Africa’s most capped flank forward with 63 tests and shares the Springbok try scoring record for a flank with Juan Smith with 11 tries each.
◦Pierre Spies is South Africa’s top try scorer in tests as a No 8 with 7 tries.
◦Gurthrö Steenkamp became South Africa’s top try scorer as a prop in tests when he scored his sixth test try against last week against Fiji.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
SuidWes Players rooted from SA Schools:
Jané du Toit: Wesvalia
Raoul Larson: Grey College
Marius Visser: HTS Welkom
Rohan Kitshoff: Drostdy
Jacques Nieuwenhuis: Hoogland
Piet van Zyl: Paarl Boys' High
Danie Dames: Duineveld
Theuns Kotze: Upington

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Were they Suidwesters who went to school in SA?

Place of birth:
Jané du Toit: Wesvalia
PERSONAL DETAILSFULL NAME Johannes Albertus
SURNAME Du Toit
HEIGHT 186 cm
WEIGHT 118 Kg
BIRTH DATE 02 October 1975
BIRTH PLACE Windhoek
MARITIAL STATUS Single
FAVOURITE FILM Snatch
FAVOURITE MUSIC Afrikaans
FAVOURITE FOOD Leg of lamb
PRIMARY SCHOOL Saamtrek Primary
SECONDARY SCHOOL Westfalia High School-Klerksdorp
TERTIARY EDUCATION University of Stellenbosch

PLAYER WRITE-UPPlaying Position: Tight Head Prop
Club: Boland Debut: WP U/21 SA Students U/21 WP 1999 - 2000 Border Bulldogs Vodacom Cup 2001-2002 Border Bulldogs Currie Cup 2001-2002 Border Bulldogs Vodacom Shield 2003 Griquas Vodacom Shield 2004 Griquas Vodacom and Currie Cup 2004 - 2006 Namibia RWC squad 2007

Raoul Larson: Grey College
SURNAME Larson
HEIGHT 185 cm
WEIGHT 120 Kg
BIRTH DATE 14 May 1984
BIRTH PLACE Katima Mulilo
MARITIAL STATUS Single
FAVOURITE FILM Boondock Saints
FAVOURITE MUSIC Alternative
FAVOURITE FOOD Pasta
PRIMARY SCHOOL Union High School
SECONDARY SCHOOL Grey College

PLAYER WRITE-UPPlaying Position: Prop Current Province: Boland Honours: U13 Craven Week 1997 EP U15 Nike 1998 U18 Craven Week 2002 Free State U20 2004 Free State U21 2005 Vodacom Cheetahs 2006 Shimlas National Club Championships 2006 Free State Vodacom Squad 2007

Marius Visser: HTS Welkom
FULL NAME Marius
SURNAME Visser
HEIGHT 190 cm
WEIGHT 140 Kg
BIRTH DATE 24 April 1982
BIRTH PLACE Walvis Bay
MARITIAL STATUS Single
FAVOURITE FILM Die Hard
FAVOURITE FOOD Steak
PRIMARY SCHOOL Bedelia Primary School
SECONDARY SCHOOL Welkom HTS

PLAYER WRITE-UPPlaying Position: Prop
Club: Border Debut: 2007 2001 - Griffons U19 2002 - Griffons U/21 2003 - Griffons Vodacom Cup 2004 - Lions Currie Cup 2006 - Border Currie Cup Namibia RWC Squad to France in 2007 Border (Vodacom Cup) - 2011

Rohan Kitshoff: Drostdy
PERSONAL DETAILSSURNAME Kitshoff
HEIGHT 182 cm
WEIGHT 98 Kg
BIRTH DATE 13 September 1985
BIRTH PLACE Windhoek
FAVOURITE FILM Invincible
FAVOURITE MUSIC Any
FAVOURITE FOOD Pasta,Steak
PRIMARY SCHOOL Vredenburg
SECONDARY SCHOOL HTS Drostdy
TERTIARY EDUCATION CPUT

PLAYER WRITE-UPPlaying Position:Openside Flank
Current Province:Griquas Honours: 2001 - Boland U16 2002/3 - Boland Craven Week 2003 - SA U18 Green Squad 2006 - FNB Superbowl ,Potchefstroom Griquas Currie Cup 2008

Jacques Nieuwenhuis: Hoogland
FULL NAME Jacques
SURNAME Nieuwenhuis
HEIGHT 188 cm
WEIGHT 101 Kg
BIRTH DATE 23 March 1980
BIRTH PLACE Brakpan
MARITIAL STATUS Married
FAVOURITE FILM Gladiator
FAVOURITE MUSIC Rock
FAVOURITE FOOD Pasta
PRIMARY SCHOOL Morewag Primary School
SECONDARY SCHOOL Hoogland High School

PLAYER WRITE-UPPlaying Postion: Loose Forward
Club: Valke Debut: 2007 Falcons U//21 1998-2000 SA Elite Squad 2001 2000-2001 Captain Falcons Merit A 2002 Falcons Vodacom Cup Squad 2003 Falcons Vodacom Cup 2004 - 2005 Namibia RWC squad 2007

Piet van Zyl: Paarl Boys' High
FULL NAME Willem Petrus
SURNAME van Zyl
HEIGHT 181 cm
WEIGHT 95 Kg
BIRTH DATE 14 May 1979
BIRTH PLACE Worcester
MARITIAL STATUS Single
FAVOURITE FILM Old School
FAVOURITE MUSIC Rock
FAVOURITE FOOD Roast Chicken
PRIMARY SCHOOL Paarl Boys Primary School
SECONDARY SCHOOL Paarl Boys High School
TERTIARY EDUCATION Maties

PLAYER WRITE-UPPlaying Position: Centre
Club: Boland Debut: 2007 Boland SA Cup & Currie Cup 2002 Boland Vodacom Cup 2001-2003 Stormers Vodacom Super 12 2003 Boland Vodacom Shield 2004 Namibia RWC squad 2007

Danie Dames: Duineveld
SURNAME Dames
HEIGHT 183 cm
WEIGHT 78 Kg
BIRTH DATE 10 July 1986
BIRTH PLACE Keetmanshoop
MARITIAL STATUS Single
FAVOURITE FILM Remember the Titans
FAVOURITE MUSIC Pop
FAVOURITE FOOD Braaivleis; Pasta
PRIMARY SCHOOL Koes Primary
SECONDARY SCHOOL Upington High School
TERTIARY EDUCATION University of Free State

PLAYER WRITE-UPPlaying Position: Wing Province: Griqualand West; Free State Honours: Griquas U18 Coca Cola Craven Week (Nelspruit-SA) 2004 Namibia IRB U19 World Cup 2005 - Durban, SA

Theuns Kotze: Upington
FULL NAME Theuns Andries Willem
SURNAME Kotze
HEIGHT 181 cm
WEIGHT 90 Kg
BIRTH DATE 16 July 1987
BIRTH PLACE Karasburg
MARITIAL STATUS Single
FAVOURITE FILM Step Brothers
FAVOURITE FOOD Steak
PRIMARY SCHOOL Voorpos
SECONDARY SCHOOL Upington High
TERTIARY EDUCATION NWU

PLAYER WRITE-UPClub: Pukke; UJ Squads 2005 - Griquas Craven Week 2006 - Leopards U19 2007 - Leopards U21 2008 - SA University World Cup Sevens 2010 - Invitation France 2010 - Leopards Currie Cup 2011 - FNB Varsity Cup 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.