• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Pool D - Fiji, Namibia, Wales, South Africa, Samoa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To use a cricket term, Spies is a bit of a flat track bully.

He had an absolute storming game against Namibia yesterday.

H

hobo

Yesterday i was mostly impressed with Franny Steyn, he is coming into some great form now. He is a worry for any opposition.
Habana is clearly passed it but like smit i guess he is going to get picked anyway.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Fucking amateur camera work there - Fiji and Samoa performed their dances simultaneously, but the camera was stuck on Samoa

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I missed the war dances, bummer.

I like both these teams but feel for Fiji I love their unstructured play & wish they were playing this RWC like they did at the last one.

Samoa have had a good game plan, they've kicked a lot but they've kept it down in the Fijian half. The Fijians have looked powerful in their runs but they just cant hold onto the ball. Fijian scrum has been doing a bit better as the game has gone on but the Samoans definintely on top there.

My fav moment is seeing the Fijians almost run straight into the x2 medics attending to the Samoan player on the ground near/on the try line (notice I said medics not the fallen Samoan player). I wish more teams would do that, I'm so sick of players going down like they've been shot by a sniper rifle when it is clearly an attempt to slow down attacking ball/the game from the opposition the Samoan player was fine he got up & back into play (the obstruction from Kaino last night was legit although soft but I think that was more the milking of a penalty, between milking a penalty & slowing down play, I think I dislike the latter more).

And Kahn goes over after a dominant Samoan scrum (yay for my Fantasy team)! Come on Fiji get back into it!

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
YAY and Fiji are over and its the Fijian back rower Netani who has been one of their best runners so well deserved. Samoa have been on top in this game but Fiji have done a couple of runs before like this only to screw it up by dropping the ball, Fiji has made too many mistakes under pressure from the Samoans kicking for territory. 7-20 to Samoa. and Fiji have turned it over again & Samoa score, yep poor ball retention has really cost Fiji in this game. Stowers is in.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Someone from Samoa is in real trouble.

No.16 Samoa got a head knock, knocked out, got up though & being carted off by the medic buggy.

One of the Fijian players going off injured too.

27-7 Samoa.

Update 78min 40sec in, Fiji nearly in there, they've looked better in the back half of the game. Samoa solid though.

Update 80min, Fiji are over I think....just seen the replay, it should be....& no try is given BULLSHIT! but thats the end of the game. Well played Samoa & I'm looking forward to the showdown between them & South Africa. Hopefully Fiji hold onto the ball more when they face Wales too.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Fiji just haven't got it this year. The Samoans were faster, stronger, and more organised. Let's hope they can knock off South Africa.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Interesting to see who will have the bigger home support next week at North Harbor. Having been to the SA V Namibia game I would have have to say SA!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Samoa vs Bokke will be the ideal preparation for the business end coming up. Samoa surely look like the goods at the moment. Only one change expect in the Bok starting 15, Battleship will start and Smit to the bench.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
The Namibians have done well given their schedule, not saying they would have beaten anyone in Pool D but their ability to get back up again and again has been an accomplishment in itself.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Namibians have done well given their schedule, not saying they would have beaten anyone in Pool D but their ability to get back up again and again has been an accomplishment in itself.
To be really honest and myself played on my day a bit of club rugby in Namibia, they will be just happy to be part of the WC and will play every day of the week.

Only saw Bertus OGallghan on their squad now, he is also a 150th year Paarl Gimmie. Know him very well.

The distances these Namibia players have to travel to play rugby is lets say from Keetmanshoop to Windhoek, 200+km to travel by car. Their WC is finished now and hope it will help their game a lot for the future.

The pool remains very interesting:
4 teams still init with two matches remaining:
Pos Team P W D L PF PA PD TF TA BPts Pts
1 South Africa 3 3 0 0 153 19 134 20 1 2 14
2 Wales 3 2 0 1 114 34 80 14 4 2 10
3 Samoa 3 2 0 1 86 36 50 9 4 2 10
4 Fiji 3 1 0 2 59 101 -42 7 10 1 5
5 Namibia 4 0 0 4 44 266 -222 5 36 0 0

Samoa vs Springbokke
Fiji vs Wales

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
South Africa vs Samoa

Springboks – 15 Pat Lambie, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jaque Fourie, 12 Frans Steyn, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morne Steyn, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Schalk Burger, 6 Heinrich Brussow, 5 Victor Matfield (c), 4 Danie Rossouw, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Beast Mtawarira.

Subs: 16 John Smit, 17 Gurthro Steenkamp, 18 CJ van der Linde, 19 Willem Alberts, 20 Francois Louw, 21 Francois Hougaard, 22 Jean de Villiers.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
South Africa vs Samoa

Springboks – 15 Pat Lambie, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jaque Fourie, 12 Frans Steyn, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morne Steyn, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Schalk Burger, 6 Heinrich Brussow, 5 Victor Matfield (c), 4 Danie Rossouw, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Beast Mtawarira.

Subs: 16 John Smit, 17 Gurthro Steenkamp, 18 CJ van der Linde, 19 Willem Alberts, 20 Francois Louw, 21 Francois Hougaard, 22 Jean de Villiers.
Best team thus far in the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.