• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

RWC 2011 - Pool D - Fiji, Namibia, Wales, South Africa, Samoa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
A bit like the AB V Japan game last night. The Fijians defended better as individuals than the Japanese but really they had even less cohesion. I wouldn't be too overawed by that performance, the Fijians didn't do anything to inhibit the Bok play at all and for that reason the hyperbole about Bok accuracy and speed and power etc etc needs to be looked at carefully. Look back a week and see a team that struggled against a structured cohesive team in Wales. They still offer very little in attack and on the few occassions the Fijians showed a decent defensive line the first choice was the high kick which the Fijians had absolutely no idea how to catch. That game wasn't successful against the Welsh and I would expect sides like England and France to destroy it.

Hyperbole. Big word.

:)

Whatty this guy hates South Africans. That much has been clear on this forum since he joined. Just ignore him.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Anyhoo. Back to the game.

Fiji were crap. But we had to play well to put them away that easily.

I don't think anyone expected it to be so easy but they had no structure.

Teams like Fiji struggle when you smash their forwards.

Frans Steyn was excellent and brought shape to the attack that I haven't seen from de Villiers. I saw Frans play a number of very good games for Racing at 12 so hopefully the coaches keep him there.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
Agree with Blue. Frans Steyn should play 12, and Lambie must play somewhere. Preferably 15. He's about our only back (or possibly player) who has actual rugby skills which wouldn't look out of place in the Aussie or Kiwi national teams.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Yea agreed not dancing in the street still 3rd Fav in my eyes although a few of the detractors will certainly take note of this performance especially those that have slight reservations as to the lack of forward dominance the AB brings to there game.

My concern is that PDV will revert to "his initial team" irrespective of the performances of Steyn at 12 over a injured De villiers etc once fully fit.

My most satisfying feeling was at every interchange you felt "wow this can get better"

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Sounds like you fairly well convinced yourself that the Boks are still crap and not a chance.

If you find the Saffa that raped your dog give me a shout.

I'm still getting my head around who winds up most insulted out of this one, but lets leave the personal stuff out

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Anyhoo. Back to the game.

Fiji were crap. But we had to play well to put them away that easily.

I don't think anyone expected it to be so easy but they had no structure.

Teams like Fiji struggle when you smash their forwards.

Frans Steyn was excellent and brought shape to the attack that I haven't seen from de Villiers. I saw Frans play a number of very good games for Racing at 12 so hopefully the coaches keep him there.

Steyn was good but I still think he is a mercinary. De Jong would have been my choice and still think he should be. I will go against the grain and compliment John Smit as I thought he had a cracker and credit to SA in how they coped with the loss of Matfield.

SA fans should sleep well after that one.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Gurthro Steenkamp is playing himself into fitness. If the graph keeps up like this for another match, I'd start him ahead of Beast.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Agree T67, the Boks look to me to have the best squad depth in terms of covering all positions not withstanding the second row issues they have at present simply in terms of individuals. Regardless of the dribble directed against me, if they had the demonstrated ability to play a more complete game plan I could back them to be the first side to go back to back.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Steyn was good but I still think he is a mercinary. De Jong would have been my choice and still think he should be. I will go against the grain and compliment John Smit as I thought he had a cracker and credit to SA in how they coped with the loss of Matfield.

Before this game I would have agreed with your but having seen how well Steyn slotted into the game plan, he is the man for the job.

De Jongh is a great player but for the type of "muscle up" game we play he is better suited to 13. Question marks also remain over his distribution abilities and jis kicking is very average.

Steyn slotting them from 60 will come in handy at some stage in this tournament I suspect.

Another reason to keep Steyn at 12 is we absolutely have to play Lambie at 15.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Gurthro Steenkamp is playing himself into fitness. If the graph keeps up like this for another match, I'd start him ahead of Beast.

This to me was THE most pleasing part of this game. HE must start every game from now on to get him fit.

Our scrum is a different prospect with him on the field and he made a few of his strong tackles last night.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Yea agreed not dancing in the street still 3rd Fav in my eyes although a few of the detractors will certainly take note of this performance especially those that have slight reservations as to the lack of forward dominance the AB brings to there game.

My concern is that PDV will revert to "his initial team" irrespective of the performances of Steyn at 12 over a injured De villiers etc once fully fit.

My most satisfying feeling was at every interchange you felt "wow this can get better"

The best team we can put on the park:
Lambie, Odwa (yes), Fourie, F Steyn, JP, M Steyn, Du Preez

Rossouw, Schalk, Brussow, Vic, Bakkies, Jannie, Bismarck, Steenkamp

Unfortunately we will see the return of Habana, de Villiers and Spies will play 8 because he ran for more than 10m once last night.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Can beast play on the other side of the scrum, he is a cracking player, really gets round the park well.

Hougaard coming on looked very good last night, and he won you the game against the welsh. I would be tempted to start him on the wing, but it might ruin the balance of your back-line and weaken the crucial bench impact.

Fourie close to best out centre in the world. Very complete positional player, size, skill, speed and smarts.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Can beast play on the other side of the scrum, he is a cracking player, really gets round the park well.
Nope he is in a shootout with Gurthro for a starting spot and in the big games we will have CJ on the bench who plays both sides.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Agree T67, the Boks look to me to have the best squad depth in terms of covering all positions not withstanding the second row issues they have at present simply in terms of individuals. Regardless of the dribble directed against me, if they had the demonstrated ability to play a more complete game plan I could back them to be the first side to go back to back.

Drivel. I believe it is called drivel. Did you pass your NAPLAN test?

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
The best team we can put on the park:
Lambie, Odwa (yes), Fourie, F Steyn, JP, M Steyn, Du Preez

Rossouw, Schalk, Brussow, Vic, Bakkies, Jannie, Bismarck, Steenkamp

Unfortunately we will see the return of Habana, de Villiers and Spies will play 8 because he ran for more than 10m once last night.

Because I see Spies a better 8 than Rossouw and Victor looks of the pace although we will miss his rugby "smarts" at the line outs.

Even with my lack of faith in Spies atm my team would be;

Lambie. Wow he got plenty of hospital passes last night but still looked solid.
Odwa, good strength in defense.
Fourie, up there with the best
F Steyn, our answer to moving this backline forward
JP, Why is he so difficult to put away?
M Steyn, deceptively slippery when he has space and its the RWC " Pick kicker first!!!"
Du Preez, getting better but still not up to speed yet.
Spies, Only so I can pick Russouw at lock and Spies is our best option at 8 also a good solid game from Spies last night.
Schalk, My man of the match last night!!
Brussow, You pick a fetcher second!!!
Russouw, solid dependable and full of confidence atm.
Bakkies, just so the opposition can have something to moan about and keep the Mongrel level up high.
Jannie, Bismarck, Steenkamp Pick themselves, Steenkamp starting to look good after his enforced layoff. Couple more games and will be up there with the best if not the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.