• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rumour: Deans could be gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

What2040

Reckon he is safe until RC finished - then the question will be seriously addressed.
If Aus comes 2nd in RC then IMO Deans is safe through EOYT until end of Lions Tour. If we are not successful against the Lions then goooooooooone immediately.
Link has to be favourite but reckon he wants a cleanout of the ARU before committing. Whether that happens probably depends upon results on the park.
Interesting times ahead ?

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Robbie Deans is a thoroughly decent bloke and his talent has been wasted by a sluggish, inefficient and bloated bureaucracy. The Arbib/Cosgrove review MUST recommend the dimantling of the Rugby heirachy and the establishment of an independent commission style body if the code is going to have any hope of surviving as an elite sport in this country.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Reckon he is safe until RC finished - then the question will be seriously addressed.
If Aus comes 2nd in RC then IMO Deans is safe through EOYT until end of Lions Tour. If we are not successful against the Lions then goooooooooone immediately.
Link has to be favourite but reckon he wants a cleanout of the ARU before committing. Whether that happens probably depends upon results on the park.

I agree with this. If the Wallabies win their next 4 games against the Springboks and the Pumas and finish a clear 2nd in the tournament it might be hard to get rid of him. Even more so if the AB's give South Africa and Argentina a towelling worse than we did Australia.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Link has to be favourite but reckon he wants a cleanout of the ARU before committing.

Said it before and will say it again, but if that's Links attitude and it's public knowledge in any way shape or form, he will never have the job.

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
NZ media is reporting that Deans will see out the RC and then coach the Waratahs next year.

You never know, this could work. Deans at the helm of the Wallabies would seem to be an example of the Peter Principle: national coaching is the level of Robbie's incompetence. If Dingo is smart enough to recognise this, and big enough to acknowledge it AND do something about it, dropping back to his level of competency might work for all concerned.

Deans wouldn't be the first coach to go from national to provincial, Dwyer from the Wallabies to the Tahs, Mitchell from the ABs to the Force, Jones from the Wallabies to the Reds, Smith from the ABs to the Chiefs and White from the Boks to the Brumbies have all done it before. Apart from Mitchell and Jones, the others have been reasonably successful. If Dingo could copy the setup and style of the Saders at the Tahs, well, who wouldn't be happy about that.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The delay to the Tah 2013 head coach announcement is all starting to fall into place now.

If Radio and The Wizard are proven correct, then there will be a certain increase in traffic on a certain rugby blog.

If the Tahs don't want him, the Roseville Under 14s are looking for an assistant coach for 2013.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Robbie Deans is a thoroughly decent bloke and his talent has been wasted by a sluggish, inefficient and bloated bureaucracy. The Arbib/Cosgrove review MUST recommend the dimantling of the Rugby heirachy and the establishment of an independent commission style body if the code is going to have any hope of surviving as an elite sport in this country.

Already resigned yourself to his coaching the Tahs next season and making excuses for him. I'd be worried because if there is one board in the country that is more inefficient and entrenched than the ARU it is the Waratahs board.

The best thing for Aus rugby would be a cleanout of the Tahs board opening the door for Cheika, and Link take the Wallabies job. Leaves us with a couple of really decent Super Rugby coaches in Cheika and White, arguably the best in the national job and one less incompetent board. Foley and Graham should be half decent coaches also. All that would remain then is for the tearing down of the ARU and JON getting placed in the stocks.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I heard he will end up coaching the tahs and the Wallabies next year.

Actually I have no diea, just said that to get our Qld friends into a frenzy. I can imagine the conversation though:

ARU: Why do you keep picking so many waratahs in the Australian team?
Deans: I think they are the best in their positions?
ARU: If you think they are so good, why don't you go coach the waratahs?
Deans: Alright I will, just to proove I was right all along.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I gotta say that as a Reds fan, I'm not that keen on Link taking on the Wallabies job. I really like what he's doing with the Reds and as the majority of the player group has committed to the next few years, maintaining the same coach would build a solid unit that could really do consistently well in the S15.

I am Radio

I don't get this. I've seen the shirt as well. Who/what is Radio?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I don't get this. I've seen the shirt as well. Who/what is Radio?

Read some of growdens "ruck & maul" columns. He always finishes with rumors and "radio" the nickname for a high level exec at a Super Rugby franchise has been getting a run all year. Players want him sacked, officials are embarrassed by him etc etc.

I believe his name is "radio" because he can't keep his mouth shut.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Read some of growdens "ruck & maul" columns. He always finishes with rumors and "radio" the nickname for a high level exec at a Super Rugby franchise has been getting a run all year. Players want him sacked, officials are embarrassed by him etc etc.

I believe his name is "radio" because he can't keep his mouth shut.
I thought he was called Radio because he's always twiddling his knob?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I reckon Deans at the Tahs would be a pretty decent appointment. I'm serious.

As Lindo said with respect to the Peter Principle, he is a very good provincial coach (he record is undisputed) but not so good in a national capacity.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I heard he will end up coaching the tahs and the Wallabies next year.

Actually I have no diea, just said that to get our Qld friends into a frenzy. I can imagine the conversation though:

ARU: Why do you keep picking so many waratahs in the Australian team?
Deans: I think they are the best in their positions?
ARU: If you think they are so good, why don't you go coach the waratahs?
Deans: Alright I will, just to proove I was right all along.
The funny thing would be when he realises that he needs to drop some of the starting Tahs

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

As Lindo said with respect to the Peter Principle, he is a very good provincial coach (he record is undisputed) but not so good in a national capacity.

Coaching the National side I think would be an entirely different prospect to coaching a provincial side. Similar to the NRL and State of Origin roles.

The provincial coach would need to coach on skills, techniques, player development etc. Week in, week out stuff. The role of the National coach, I assume, would be more akin to a team manager. That is one that puts together a group of individuals and builds them into a team. The players should already have the necessary skills, technique etc before they get to the national team.

Richo

John Thornett (49)

Except that Canterbury might have the best team culture and development system in world rugby, as attested to by the high skill level of all their players and the continued production of world-class talent. And the Waratahs are, well, the Waratahs. I don't see Dingo as the tough-minded, innovative thinker who can turn around that organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.