• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rumour: Deans could be gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think that there are five possible/likely candidates with enough gravitas to be considered:
  1. Link: Would be the favourite but given his competence and straight talking he won't get JON's vote. Still possible.
  2. Nucifora: Incompetent coach but very good politician when dealing with those above him. Bookies favourite?
  3. White: Suffers from being non-Australian, otherwise has the credentials in spades.
  4. Totality Tony: Impressed the Board, despite his press interviews.
  5. Cheika: Probably needs to have two good years at the Tahs and then take over from the incumbent. NH credentials OK but needs to prove himself at home.
Jeez, I hope I am not getting ahead of myself.
A chimera of these 3 would provide perfect continuity.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Before we all get ahead of ourselves heard with mine own ears:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/breaking-aru-denies-deans-bolt/

Speculation has been rife tonight that embattled Wallabies coach Robbies Deans was lined up to “do a Harold”. However, speaking directly to G&GR, ARU Media liaison and long term Deans colleague Matt McIlraith has said categorically:
Robbie is going nowhere. He’s knows he’s got a job to do, and he’s gonna do it.
The twitter speculation frenzy started tonight when Jim Callinan who describes himself as “Filling in time as a Sky News Sports reporter before winning lotto” tweeted;
Jim Callinan​
@jbcallinan

Hearing big story over robbie deans out of NZ tomorrow. Sounds like he's definitely gone - but speccy as too where is the interesting part.
28 Aug 12

The thought did occur to us that the Waratahs are still looking for a coach, but let’s not go there!

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I believe both the rumor and the denial to e right. If he is staying til the end of the championship there is no way they would announce it now and have him coach 4 wallaby games when people are already questioning his commitment.

I believe his departure will come at the completion of the final game, no need for caretakers.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I believe both the rumor and the denial to e right. If he is staying til the end of the championship there is no way they would announce it now and have him coach 4 wallaby games when people are already questioning his commitment.

I believe his departure will come at the completion of the final game, no need for caretakers.

That would be the clean, simple and sensible way to do it. So there's no chance that's what happens.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm not sure that I get your drift Hawko. Do you mean that as a negative or are you intimating that that would provide us with continuity?

I am just trying to look at his qualifications. He has never been a successful coach, the year he won the Super comp he was coach in name only. His career at the Blues and then the U-20's was abominable. Nevertheless he is the High Performance Director and got appointed to do the WC review when he was effectively reviewing his own role. The Board seems to love him, but the people under his control do not. Met a lot of people in business who were very good at schmoozing upper managers but who had terrible relationships with those they managed. Can't think of one who was successful at doing his job but can list any number who got regularly promoted with huge salaries.

So to answer you directly: Yes it would be a negative and yes it would provide us with continuity. He would be another disaster.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
When everyone is picking who would replace Deans, don't make same mistake again. Do not just say Link has been successful so he the man, he hasn't been that successful yet and that is how Deans got the job to start with, and we all know there were very few people as upset then, as they are now. I think the first thing coach needs to have is plan on style of game and his vision of how it will be done. I always thought Deans was a mistake as I suspected he was a poor selector, perhaps a good skills coach, but at test level it not all that many skills should have to be coached. Also coaches ability to handle different players personalities needs to be judged, I think in Wallabies I get impression the 'stars' maybe treated a little like rock stars, or act like it anyway, also something that you can get away with a bit more at S15 level, but at higher level team has to be real tight.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm not totally convinced that Link Is the man for the job if the Dingo goes.
I agree, I would like to see a forwards coach who can be a bit of a scrum doctor come in for a few years to set systems in place to build up a base of forwards for the future, and then have link take it on.

I will be crucified for this, but I would be looking overseas as well as locally.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
My money would be on TT stepping up if Deans did leave. He is JO'N's man, appointed seemingly without much input from Dingo. He would have learnt the Wallaby system now enough to carry on JO'N's work. Link would want change/renewal like he has had at the Reds.

And remember TT is there to be responsible for the totality of it.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
One Waratah has told me that Dingo will end up coaching the Waratahs. Not actually based on anything solid, just the fact that he recently moved to Balmoral (rugby mad suburb with a beach), has one child studying at Sydney Uni and another at a private school. He may be reluctant to leave Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.