• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rumour: Deans could be gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Have to agree with Richo here. I think Deans would be good for the waratahs but he is not strong enough to stand up to the Board and get the changes necessary to make the Tahs a force again. Changes are required not only in the Tahs setup but to the substructure that NSW rugby provides and feeds the Waratahs with

Scotty

David Codey (61)
When everyone is picking who would replace Deans, don't make same mistake again. Do not just say Link has been successful so he the man, he hasn't been that successful yet and that is how Deans got the job to start with, and we all know there were very few people as upset then, as they are now. I think the first thing coach needs to have is plan on style of game and his vision of how it will be done. I always thought Deans was a mistake as I suspected he was a poor selector, perhaps a good skills coach, but at test level it not all that many skills should have to be coached. Also coaches ability to handle different players personalities needs to be judged, I think in Wallabies I get impression the 'stars' maybe treated a little like rock stars, or act like it anyway, also something that you can get away with a bit more at S15 level, but at higher level team has to be real tight.

You seem to be describing Link's style and abilities!

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
My only worry about link is that he is prone to make a mistake on certain players every now and then.

I.E. he picked brando va'aulu on the wing for the reds for far too long, picked horwill at 6. Moving Genia to flyhalf was also a mistake.

But they are few and far between compared to what deans has done with the wallabies.

D

daz

Except that Canterbury might have the best team culture and development system in world rugby, as attested to by the high skill level of all their players and the continued production of world-class talent. And the Waratahs are, well, the Waratahs. I don't see Dingo as the tough-minded, innovative thinker who can turn around that organization.

I tend to agree with this. It is one thing to have a team where everyone is on the same page and they are positively singing as they go on the journey.

It is quite another to build that from scratch and have to literally grab people and physically point them in the direction you want them to go. Very different personal qualities required.

Robbie is clearly good at the former, and maybe not so good at the later. That doesn't make him a bad coach. It just means he is not suited to certain teams.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
My only worry about link is that he is prone to make a mistake on certain players every now and then.

I.E. he picked brando va'aulu on the wing for the reds for far too long, picked horwill at 6. Moving Genia to flyhalf was also a mistake.

But they are few and far between compared to what deans has done with the wallabies.

Yep. Every coach makes mistakes. It's a question of how many smart things he does and whether the ledger comes out decisively on the positive side, as proven by what matters: wins.

D

daz

I struggle to believe this is all happening without any of the Oz journos knowing about it, especially as it involves the ARU and NSWRU, two notoriously leaky organisations.

Yeah, I've been feverishly checking twitter and google. Not even a whiff of this on there.

Are we the only people on the planet talking about this?

Note: When I say not a whiff, that is not really true. LOTS of speculation and retweeting of the same rumour, but not one credible source. Not one.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

I'll give you the Genia move. What other options did he have at the time with Va'alu and moving Horwill?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
With Horwil he had Samo, Higginbotham and AWH. Also had Shatz and Quirk waiting in the wings. To his credit he realised his error, moved higgers in and Samo to 8 and we won the title....

With Va'alu he had Davies and Morahan.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Obviously the media outlets of the ARU and NSWRU have decided to largely not address this (they have in little bits and pieces). That to me means that this is either a whisper being passed off as a fact or something being completely fabricated.

Rugby Heaven and Foxsports haven't even address it, isn't that a dead give away?

L

Linebacker_41

With Horwil he had Samo, Higginbotham and AWH. Also had Shatz and Quirk waiting in the wings. To his credit he realised his error, moved higgers in and Samo to 8 and we won the title..

With Va'alu he had Davies and Morahan.

Link is the man for the Wallabies gig after Dingo.

Horwill @ #6 - Remember why he did this? to combat a big pack - Horwill is athletic enough and defensively is strong for me he suits #6 in certain games so no problem for me there, particularly at the time this occurred Higgers was error prone (nothing changed there) and Schatz was still eligible for colts.

Va'alu was a great defender - liable to go missing in attack but he could and would tackle. Va'alu was the first guy used in the #10 channel when Quade was shifted to fullback. Neither Morahan or Davies can defend in this channel.

Link's biggest mistake in the past 3 seasons at the Reds has been the Genia move.

But you cant fault him for being innovative and trying to catch the opposition out. Given the way the Wallabies are performing I would much rather have Link trying to be creative with the cattle he has than kicking the ball downfield hoping that his poor pack will win the breakdown to get the ball back.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I reckon Deans at the Tahs would be a pretty decent appointment. I'm serious.

As Lindo said with respect to the Peter Principle, he is a very good provincial coach (he record is undisputed) but not so good in a national capacity.

You might be serious but you are a Force supporter. Every other Australian franchise but the Tahs would welcome Deans appointment. No game plan, lousy selections, no taking responsibility for errors, poor use of the bench, no idea about first phase forward work - Tahs will end up with the spoon!

The only way I'd want him is if he brings McCaw and Carter with him. Even then I'd have my doubts.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Obviously the media outlets of the ARU and NSWRU have decided to largely not address this (they have in little bits and pieces). That to me means that this is either a whisper being passed off as a fact or something being completely fabricated.

Rugby Heaven and Foxsports haven't even address it, isn't that a dead give away?
Fox addressed it via Twitter.

I'd take Twitter over any other form of medium anyday, much more efficient.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
Deans would be an excellent appointment at Super Rugby level. don't kid yourselves. he's certainly better and more qualified than foley who had less of a game plan and less experience. Cheika - yes he did well at leinster and look how poor he's been at stade francais - not to say he isn't a good coach, but he's no saint.
Often coaches make a first step to international rugby and it doesn't work, they head back to club level work on it and return a better coach.
agreed though that the biggest issue is management at the tahs, but hopefully that sorts itself out and you guys are competitive again next year. there is zero chance you will be worse next year than you were this year, especially with deans at the helm.
on the wallabies - it's been nearly 5 years, i think that's all you can really ask for without delivering hardware. that said - you won the tri nations last year and were never a shot of winning the WC, realisitically IMO.
not convinced link is the answer - without quade the reds were a shadow of themselves for much of the year....so is it a quade or a link factor?

Status
Not open for further replies.