• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rob Horne

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Yeh saw Horne training yesterday too, elbow still strapped, but looking good out there.

There are a few faces at training that aren't listed in the squad - John Uligia, Al Baxter, Horne, Mitchell, Slipper off the top of my head

nathan

Watty Friend (18)
Yeh saw Horne training yesterday too, elbow still strapped, but looking good out there.

There are a few faces at training that aren't listed in the squad - John Uligia, Al Baxter, Horne, Mitchell, Slipper off the top of my head

Uligia? C'mon you'd expect guys like Charles and Whittaker to benefit from the exposure much more than Uligia...? Seems unusual.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
there is extra players there for opposed training sessions, there was last year to and many years before that, good gig if you can get it.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
from what i saw watching the other day, they were running two seperate teams against two seperate opposed groups (not full 15s and involved other players and coaches etc) and there was a few players observing, they ran scrums, so they need at least 4 and more if a player needs to rest.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
from what i saw watching the other day, they were running two seperate teams against two seperate opposed groups (not full 15s and involved other players and coaches etc) and there was a few players observing, they ran scrums, so they need at least 4 and more if a player needs to rest.

Yeah what WJ said

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Love how they put Samo next to Sharpe in the team profiles. What a contrast.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
It has been asked already but how many games has Horne played these past two seasons? For me, he is held in such high regard for his Super 14 performances of more than two seasons ago when he revealed himself as a fine talent and a strong prospect at Test level. For me he is the Australian version of Richard Kahui; he is a great talent but has a body of glass. But, unlike Kahui, he is unproven at test level.

It goes without saying that Deans will pick whomever he believes gives Australia the best chance to lift Bill in a tournament that starts in 50 days. He'd be taking a significant risk in trying to blood a new 12 (McCabe) and then attempting to marry that 12 in a new midfield partnership later on with Horne. IMO, it's time to build the combinations now and getting them firing, and to get the supporting players tuned to produce if called upon. I just can't see how Horne can be ready to contribute, and am not sure that giving him precious game time is warranted when there are more "proven" performers waiting in the wings.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Horne has all the skills, including upstairs, to be a great Wallaby. But hopefully he is not considered this year -- extra time off might be what his body needs to be repaired properly.

T

tranquility

I agree, he is one of the best talents I have ever seen. However unless he puts some miraculous performances on the board this season, he should not be picked.

He and Berrick should be on a leisure tour of Tahiti to make sure that their bodies are correct for next season.

Proud Pig

Tom Lawton (22)
This is the RWC we are talking about. For the Wallabies to stand a chance they need all their best players fit and firing.
You will not win a world cup being overly cautious in selection. So to that end as long as the best players are match fit at the time of the cup they should be selected.
No player should be left out because they might get injured.
If you take that approach you need to forget Horwill, TPN, Benn Robinson, Barnes, Giteau, Vickerman, Palu and Iaone (I know some are all ready ruled out) as all have had a history of being injury prone and could get injured again.
I am not saying that Horne is the best player but I am saying he should not be excluded just because he might get injured.
As the saying goes "Faint heart never won fair lady."

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Horne has all the skills, including upstairs, to be a great Wallaby. But hopefully he is not considered this year -- extra time off might be what his body needs to be repaired properly.

Agree. He shouldn't be risked, nor Barnes (for matters other than just rugby).

I wrote before that Rob Horne had the ability to be a Jason Little in the position but alas I feared we may never know with his injury profile to date. Somebody had a sly dig at that comment as being over the top but having watched him more since he was 16 than most, I am convinced he is capable of getting to that level if he can stay on the park.

Little's read and execution of rugby as a midfielder, on both defence and attack, was both brilliant and direct. It took the undeniable emergence of the younger Herbert to displace him in the national team, but in his pomp he was one of the best Wallaby outside centres I have seen.

I'd like to see Horne get the chance to do the same things; so let's see him again in 2012.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
This is the RWC we are talking about. For the Wallabies to stand a chance they need all their best players fit and firing.
You will not win a world cup being overly cautious in selection. So to that end as long as the best players are match fit at the time of the cup they should be selected.
No player should be left out because they might get injured.
If you take that approach you need to forget Horwill, TPN, Benn Robinson, Barnes, Giteau, Vickerman, Palu and Iaone (I know some are all ready ruled out) as all have had a history of being injury prone and could get injured again.
I am not saying that Horne is the best player but I am saying he should not be excluded just because he might get injured.
As the saying goes "Faint heart never won fair lady."

All the players you mention have played significant minutes this season, with the exception of Vickerman who is not coming back from injury. Horne played just a handful of minutes. Even if available for selection, he won't be remotely at his best and given his style of play is far more likely to re-injure himself than play his way into the starting side.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I agree, he is one of the best talents I have ever seen. However unless he puts some miraculous performances on the board this season, he should not be picked.

He and Berrick should be on a leisure tour of Tahiti to make sure that their bodies are correct for next season.

Well, they are some big words. With the greatest respect, dont you think you might want to set some time aside, get out and watch more of the game you love? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.