• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rob Horne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thankfully I only saw one comment saying that Horne returns to form quickly after serious injury. Rubbish. Like any other player, he takes a while to come back to form after serious injury - which is he exactly what has happened at the Tahs in the past, where he has played some stinkers or been totally anonymous (like the start of last year, for example) when coming back from injury.

Horne is a young guy who has had a lot of serious injury lay offs. Huge talent, sure, but given his past history of taking a while to find form and his continual spate of injuries there's no way I'd take him to the world cup unless he had at least a solid month or more of full club rugby games under his belt, and he had shown signs of real form simply because I don't think he's a starter, and there's no real to take an unfit out of form perma-broken backup, no wonderfully how talented that backup is.

Best thing for Horne is good recovery, and a great off season. Let him grow into his body and become a dominant Wallaby 12 or 13 of the future.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Thankfully I only saw one comment saying that Horne returns to form quickly after serious injury. Rubbish. Like any other player, he takes a while to come back to form after serious injury - which is he exactly what has happened at the Tahs in the past, where he has played some stinkers or been totally anonymous (like the start of last year, for example) when coming back from injury.

The start of last year. That's interesting because I'm pretty sure he made his first season appearance off the bench against the Bulls in Pretoria. Are you saying he was anonymous in that game?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sorry, might be start of 2009, where he was poor for the first weeks, then got injured again. Either way, the years seem to run together to me. Either way, you can pick apart one statement, or actually try to argue the point, qwerty.

Why don't you instead provide evidence where Horne has not taken time to rediscover form after a serious layoff?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Sorry, might be start of 2009, where he was poor for the first weeks, then got injured again. Either way, the years seem to run together to me. Either way, you can pick apart one statement, or actually try to argue the point, qwerty.

Why don't you instead provide evidence where Horne has not taken time to rediscover form after a serious layoff?

I thought he was straight back into it last year. Made a fabulous run in the Bulls game. Got some MOM points on here.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I didn't think that Horne was up to his standard for a few weeks, though, until a bit after midway into the season. It took until the end until he was in sparkling form, too.

Horne really took until late in the season to stand out for me, especially those last few weeks of the regular season - his best games, from my memory, were the last two vs the Chiefs and Canes, where he outshone his counterparts (including Conrad Smith, I can't remember if Kahui played for the Chiefs, but from memory I think Kahui was injured).

I am worried about Horne: he is reminding me too much of McMeniman. Very talented, plays and hits harder than his size, but seems to constantly pick up injuries. I am seriously hoping he doesn't go the same way as McMeniman. He is a young kid and should be in cotton wool to protect his future.

The other reasons that he shouldn't be rushed back are that, as mentioned, he is not a 50+ cap test player - he is a young kid fighting a short and injury plagued career. When he did play for the Wallabies he didn't disgrace himself, but he didn't stand out either - he looked like a young kid finding his way at test level. He is not (at least, not yet) and integral member of the Wallabies.

Let him either play club rugby or take the rest of the year off, take in a strong off season, and come back next year completely injury free. The only reason Horne is being mentioned is that outside centre is probably our most porous position.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Rob Horne has all the skills required to be a world class outside centre.

I think his best asset is his ability to put his outside man into space. Given the talent of our wingers and fullback I can see why Dingo is a fan.

I tend to put players into two catergories: the TPN Group and the Mumm Group. Horne is definitely in the TPN Group which means he will often be injured during his career. I feel that you must play those from the TPN Group whenever possible because of their inspirational and positive influence on the rest of the team.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Horne's defence comes back first, his attack takes longer. For Aus he hasn't got to the attacking part right except for a good line against Fiji.

Reactions: Ash

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Rob Horne has all the skills required to be a world class outside centre.

I think his best asset is his ability to put his outside man into space. Given the talent of our wingers and fullback I can see why Dingo is a fan.

I tend to put players into two catergories: the TPN Group and the Mumm Group. Horne is definitely in the TPN Group which means he will often be injured during his career. I feel that you must play those from the TPN Group whenever possible because of their inspirational and positive influence on the rest of the team.

Good post. I like the TPN Group idea.

But, mister Torn Hammy, you are hereby barred from posting about Horne ever again. :mad: :)

T

tranquility

Some of the lines against the grain he runs are incredible.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
He really is the ideal outside centre when 100% and in form. Decent size, good pace, excellent defence and a good passing game. Just a shame he never is on the park.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think he's that big, he just does everything at 100% intensity and hits bloody hard. It's probably why he's injured so often. Wish more of our players had his approach when they've got more kgs on them.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I don't think he's that big, he just does everything at 100% intensity and hits bloody hard. It's probably why he's injured so often. Wish more of our players had his approach when they've got more kgs on them.

TPN would have to weigh 200kg to satisfy that criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.