• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Rob Horne

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I am a massive Horne fan. However i am a much bigger fan of winning a world cup. This is not the time to have Horne in the team. For that matter Mitchell too. We have a plethora of talent in the backs and guys who can cover multiple positions. Two of my favourite backline players but alas luck has counted them out of my reckoning.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hopefully he kills it in Club Rugby and gives Aus another quality option, in other good news Berrick Barnes is starting training again

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
Managed to bump into Drew Mitchell whilst waiting for the bus at Coogee, back running tomorrow with the Wallabies team.

W

What2040

great newss about Drew - but surely a risk - am also a massive fan of Rob Horne but just question his durability for a long sustained campaign

S

Skippy

A part of me thinks Deans and the Wallabies cant win. So many of you will come on here if we don't win the WC and bemoan Horne/Mitchell selection if they get injured or are anything less than outstanding. If we don't win the WC and Horne and Mitchell and anyone else is left at home... then just as many will be on here criticising the non selection!

Rugby is a contact sport. Any single member of the Wallabies could get injured in any game of the WC. End of story. That's the nature of the game and the risk every single player takes evey time he laces on the boots to go to training or to play a game. Winning a WC or any tournament in many ways often includes an element of 'luck'.

SBW is no more injury prone than Horne... yet I'm pretty sure he will be playing in the WC and let's be honest, going on SBW's injury form he must be due for another one soon. But he will still be selected won't he. Getting injured is the risk Henry takes.

Deans is a professional coach. He won't take Horne or Mitchell etc unless they have a clean bill of health and have some element of game time/training performance prior to departing for NZ. Deans and these players have access to a level of medical care and rehab of the highest standards. It's their job to get them right. And their job to make decision on whether or not players are fit to play or not.

If Horne is ruled fit and has managed to get on the field in the 3 nations etc then I support Deans in picking him. Horne could well get injured in any game of the WC but so could any and every other player in the squad. That's the nature of rugby.

If Deans believe a fit Horne and Mitchell are better than others then that's his opinion and choice. And people are welcome to agree or disagree. But this happens at every level of rugby and sport. All coaches have favourites or sometimes subjectively/sometimes objectively see some players as match winners, others as game breakers, others a journeyman, others as team players, others as leaders and so on. Perhaps Deans sees something in Horne that others don't. Perhaps others see soemthing in Fainga'a that Deans doesn't. At the end of the day I'm more inclined to go with Dean's views and decisions as he is a former All Black, the most successful Super rugby coach in it's history, should have been the All Blacks coach except for the love of Henry and has turned around the Wallabies in the last 3 years to a point where I feel very excited and confident about our prospects in the WC. There is a real golden generation of Australian rugby ahead and I credit Deans with creating the prospect of that coming to fruition. Along with Link and others.

In truth.... Horne only needs to get through 3 games (QF, SF and Final) and I doubt he'd play 80 minutes in any of them. The Wallabies won't take someone who isn't medically and mentally adjudged to be fit enough to contribute to the game. Yes... he's had a lot of injuries in the past. So has SBW, so has Carter and so has McCaw. If he's fit then it's just a fact that everytime he players, he and every other player could get injured in any game at any time.

It's the same with all this garbage about Wykes and Pyle being pissed off with Vickermans selection and how it's a slap in the face to those who've been working away trying to achieve Wallaby selection. Sorry but I think people need to wake up. THe ARU is not a charity. They are a business. They are in the business of putting bums on seats, sellings tickets, increasing sponsorship and so on. They generate revenue from success on the field. Therefore as a business they have every right to make business decisions and if they decide Vickerman is what they want or need then that's their right. Rugby is not some cuddly hold hands round the campfire and sings songs to a guitar experience.... it's business and tough decisions need to be made.

How many people in here have left employers and taken jobs elsewhere? So you've broken your contract? Mmmmm... but yet we apply a different standard to rugby players like SBW etc when they do this. How many here have left a job to take one that pays more elsewhere? And don't start with this 'team mates' crap. There's little to no loyalty towards players... they can be on the scrap heap over night and in a 'short' career players have to protect themselves and their future including financial future.

If your boss has a vacancy for a manager and appoints someone from outside the organisation you either have a choice to accept it or leave. Your employer reserves the right to bring in anyone he deems has the required experience, leadership and skills to get the job done. That's his right as a manager to make that call. If it don't work out then he is held responsible but the reality is, the ARU is there to win a WC. The coach is the manager who just like your workplace reserves the right to make his own appointments.

People like Wykes, Mowen and Pyle are proffessionals. They know the score. They know the reality of rugby and selections and let's not confuse disappointment at not being selected with adverse negativity towards the decision to select people like Vickerman. And people like Horne and Mitchell in the next few months.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
my main issue with comparing horne with mitchell and vickerman is that he hasnt got 50 + tests to his name and dspite all his potential hasnt been considered the best in the world in his position. ever.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I find it hard how people want him back in the squad as soon as he is fit. How many games has he actually played in the last 2 years?
Yeh he has got talent, but in a WC year I would not be rushing him in.

Garryowen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Horne is very talented, but evidently not particularly durable. He has chronic hamstring problems. Nevertheless, emphasising Skippy's point, he only needs to be right for a few games come RWC. He would be an excellent back-up to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and I believe would be effective at 12 as well. He is brutal in defence and has great pace off the mark. There's a hood reason why he is one of Dean's pet favourites.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
A part of me thinks Deans and the Wallabies cant win. So many of you will come on here if we don't win the WC and bemoan Horne/Mitchell selection if they get injured or are anything less than outstanding. If we don't win the WC and Horne and Mitchell and anyone else is left at home... then just as many will be on here criticising the non selection!

Rugby is a contact sport. Any single member of the Wallabies could get injured in any game of the WC. End of story. That's the nature of the game and the risk every single player takes evey time he laces on the boots to go to training or to play a game. Winning a WC or any tournament in many ways often includes an element of 'luck'.

SBW is no more injury prone than Horne... yet I'm pretty sure he will be playing in the WC and let's be honest, going on SBW's injury form he must be due for another one soon. But he will still be selected won't he. Getting injured is the risk Henry takes.

Deans is a professional coach. He won't take Horne or Mitchell etc unless they have a clean bill of health and have some element of game time/training performance prior to departing for NZ. Deans and these players have access to a level of medical care and rehab of the highest standards. It's their job to get them right. And their job to make decision on whether or not players are fit to play or not.

If Horne is ruled fit and has managed to get on the field in the 3 nations etc then I support Deans in picking him. Horne could well get injured in any game of the WC but so could any and every other player in the squad. That's the nature of rugby.

If Deans believe a fit Horne and Mitchell are better than others then that's his opinion and choice. And people are welcome to agree or disagree. But this happens at every level of rugby and sport. All coaches have favourites or sometimes subjectively/sometimes objectively see some players as match winners, others as game breakers, others a journeyman, others as team players, others as leaders and so on. Perhaps Deans sees something in Horne that others don't. Perhaps others see soemthing in Fainga'a that Deans doesn't. At the end of the day I'm more inclined to go with Dean's views and decisions as he is a former All Black, the most successful Super rugby coach in it's history, should have been the All Blacks coach except for the love of Henry and has turned around the Wallabies in the last 3 years to a point where I feel very excited and confident about our prospects in the WC. There is a real golden generation of Australian rugby ahead and I credit Deans with creating the prospect of that coming to fruition. Along with Link and others.

In truth.... Horne only needs to get through 3 games (QF, SF and Final) and I doubt he'd play 80 minutes in any of them. The Wallabies won't take someone who isn't medically and mentally adjudged to be fit enough to contribute to the game. Yes... he's had a lot of injuries in the past. So has SBW, so has Carter and so has McCaw. If he's fit then it's just a fact that everytime he players, he and every other player could get injured in any game at any time.

It's the same with all this garbage about Wykes and Pyle being pissed off with Vickermans selection and how it's a slap in the face to those who've been working away trying to achieve Wallaby selection. Sorry but I think people need to wake up. THe ARU is not a charity. They are a business. They are in the business of putting bums on seats, sellings tickets, increasing sponsorship and so on. They generate revenue from success on the field. Therefore as a business they have every right to make business decisions and if they decide Vickerman is what they want or need then that's their right. Rugby is not some cuddly hold hands round the campfire and sings songs to a guitar experience.... it's business and tough decisions need to be made.

How many people in here have left employers and taken jobs elsewhere? So you've broken your contract? Mmmmm... but yet we apply a different standard to rugby players like SBW etc when they do this. How many here have left a job to take one that pays more elsewhere? And don't start with this 'team mates' crap. There's little to no loyalty towards players... they can be on the scrap heap over night and in a 'short' career players have to protect themselves and their future including financial future.

If your boss has a vacancy for a manager and appoints someone from outside the organisation you either have a choice to accept it or leave. Your employer reserves the right to bring in anyone he deems has the required experience, leadership and skills to get the job done. That's his right as a manager to make that call. If it don't work out then he is held responsible but the reality is, the ARU is there to win a WC. The coach is the manager who just like your workplace reserves the right to make his own appointments.

People like Wykes, Mowen and Pyle are proffessionals. They know the score. They know the reality of rugby and selections and let's not confuse disappointment at not being selected with adverse negativity towards the decision to select people like Vickerman. And people like Horne and Mitchell in the next few months.

I wish I'd made that post.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Skippy, a couple of points:

1, Horne isn't Horan or Little MkII yet. He's a great young player will a bucket load of talent and a fragile body. His record of being out on the paddock isn't great at present and he doesn't have the pedigree at this stage of his career that would warrant automatic selection coming off a long injury break. Had he played every test last year and been regularly at the top or near it of his game, I would feel differently. I had hoped to see him play the majority of the season and fight it out with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for the 13 spot. That hasn't happened, unfortunately.

2, Vickermann gets a pass because of his considerable rugby CV. Had it been nearly anyone else, he would have been told no. I still have doubts about him coming back, mainly because he's played 5/8ths of fuck all rugby at the top level in three years.

Both of these guys are good players, that you'd pick in nearly any team. What most here are saying is that there is some risk caclulus that needs to be performed on two blokes who don't have a lot of first class footy under their belt, but are clearly class.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)

Agreed, but there are two sides to every coin. If these players feel like they are under appreciated like any employee, they also have the option of going elsewhere. That's fine if you definately got the right person for the job, but you need to be careful to not also alienate a future star employee.

I don't envy Robbie Deans, the choices aren't easy.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Agreed, but there are two sides to every coin. If these players feel like they are under appreciated like any employee, they also have the option of going elsewhere. That's fine if you definately got the right person for the job, but you need to be careful to not also alienate a future star employee.

I don't envy Robbie Deans, the choices aren't easy.

Having too many players was the main objective of adding two new Super Rugby franchises.

Status
Not open for further replies.