• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2025

rugbyAU

Colin Windon (37)
2025 Team:

1 - Hodgman
2 - Faessler
3 - Nonngorr
4 - Smith/Canham
5 - LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6 - Wright
7 - McReight
8 - Wilson
9 - McDermott
10 - Lynagh/Gordon
11 - Ryan
12 - Paisami
13 - Flook
14 - Petaia
15 - Campbell

Last edited:

Beattie

Peter Burge (5)
2025 Team:

1 - Hodgman
2 - Faessler
3 - Nonngorr
4 - Smith
5 - LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6 - Wright
7 - McReight
8 - Wilson
9 - McDermott
10 - Lynagh
11 - Ryan
12 - Stewart
13 - Flook
14 - Petaia
15 - Campbell
Replace with 4. Canham 10. Gordon 12. Paisami. If Stewart is signing then push Paisami, and Flook out one. Lynagh might head back home.

snoopycatchicken

Stan Wickham (3)
2025 Team:

1 - Hodgman
2 - Faessler
3 - Nonngorr
4 - Smith/Canham
5 - LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6 - Wright
7 - McReight
8 - Wilson
9 - McDermott
10 - Lynagh/Gordon
11 - Ryan
12 - Paisami
13 - Flook
14 - Petaia
15 - Campbell
Is Petaia sticking around?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Honestly I don’t see what everyone else sees in Canham. Good young player and may well be a test player in the future but I don’t personally see him in the top 5-6 locks at the moment and I wouldn’t have him ahead of Smith. Smith has been as good as any lock in the comp this year.

I’m also holding in to Lynagh. He’s done well this year and is only going to get better over the next 2-3. If that means we aren’t in the hunt for Gordon, so be it.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
There is a lot of grass is greener vibes from some posters who want a Rebels injection into the side.

It will be interesting to see how much RA try and push certain players who are currently contracted for 2025 into sides, or whether they'll be happy to let the process play out organically.

Funny how in the space of really 18months Taniela has gone from the flagship Australian forward to being viewed as a large expense without much upside. I can't see him returning to the Reds.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
To clarify my comment - I’d certainly take Canham with both hands. Looks a good young player with plenty of upside and is going to be an upgrade on guys like Vest & Daly. Squad depth is a massive thing.

But at this point in 2024 I’m not tipping Ryan Smith out of my 2025 starting side, for all that that’s worth.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
The only reason I would be looking at bringing in another established lock is so Uru is able to play in the back row.

It's hard to say how Wright or Wilson's bodies will hold up next year and I think we've seen a physicality/impact of Urus game this year that Brial and Bryant (hits the line hard but doesn't bend it like Wilson or Uru) don't have just yet.

Gordon is a tough one. As both a BBC and West's man, I'd love for him to be at the Reds. But I'm seeing positive signs with Lynagh and HMP to say we should stick with them. Having Tate and Hunter either side of them is the best place they can develop if you ask me.

I'd welcome Flipio to come back home instead of Vunivalu, but my guess is hell want to go overseas.

But we need a centre and a outside back considering JOC (James O'Connor), Henry and Petaia's injury record's.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I wouldn't be trying that hard to get Gordon home (Lynagh and HMP are a good 1/2 option) and feel he would be better utilised at the tahs. That said, if QLD is where he wants to be then sure.

Unlike others I would take Tupou back. I don't know if JTA can play both sides, but presumably he can and we shouldn't be re-signing Peni Ravai (as much as I like him) and it's possible Fa'agase won't get re-signed. De Lutis we need to hang on to but he needs games in QLD tour matches, challenger series and Prems (wasn't great against bottom placed Norths on the weekend).

Canham would be a big upgrade on Daly. Vest and Blyth are signed for 25. I suspect Uru will become a backrower primarily in 25. Vest maybe as well.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Any sign of Liam Wright's signature yet? With Uru, Wilson and McReight already signed he's in a tough spot for Reds and Wallabies. 4 into 3 doesn't go, especially if the lock stocks improve and Uru eyes backrow.

I could see him holding off until some of the test matches are played this year to try and earn a Wallaby top-up, but that has it's own risks

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Unlike others I would take Tupou back.

I’d take Tupou back - but he’d have to want to come back.

At what cost though? He can be a great asset. And if the cost then impacts investment in other players, I'd suggest there may be better homes for him.

We seem to suggest that the option is yes or no for Tupou. The reality is likely to be yes - with a mandate to no elsewhere. With fixed overall funding it's that second part that is problematic. Though it seems to me that he needs to be prepared to work harder than he was under Stiles. I'm also not currently convinced of his "leadership".

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
At what cost though? He can be a great asset. And if the cost then impacts investment in other players, I'd suggest there may be better homes for him.

We seem to suggest that the option is yes or no for Tupou. The reality is likely to be yes - with a mandate to no elsewhere. With fixed overall funding it's that second part that is problematic. Though it seems to me that he needs to be prepared to work harder than he was under Stiles. I'm also not currently convinced of his "leadership".
Peni Revi probably doesn't get re-signed (which is a shame as he is good). Leaves space for another prop. Most of his salary paid by RA anyway

Slayer!

Herbert Moran (7)
Peni Revi probably doesn't get re-signed (which is a shame as he is good). Leaves space for another prop. Most of his salary paid by RA anyway
RA pays *half* of a contracted player's salary, not *most*. So if Tupou is on ~$800k then Reds are up for $400k - which is at least one (maybe even two) Peni Ravis.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
RA pays *half* of a contracted player's salary, not *most*. So if Tupou is on ~$800k then Reds are up for $400k - which is at least one (maybe even two) Peni Ravis.
Taniela has essentially had 2 years away from playing at his best level.

I would prefer we support Zane's development and provide him and JTA support rather than squeezing either of them out.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I could be misinformed, but I'm not sure it's as clear-cut as RA contributing half (or the RA top up effectively doubling a player's salary)

Are you suggesting that lack of clarity errs on the side of RA contributing more? I'd always assumed with the term "top up" that the bulk of the funds came from the State Union.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Are you suggesting that lack of clarity errs on the side of RA contributing more? I'd always assumed with the term "top up" that the bulk of the funds came from the State Union.
Each player is different, and the contracting approach by RA changes through the years, but the "packages" leaked to the press usually include all forecast match payments for the contract length and other allowances like attending Wallaby squads etc.

So to take ~$800k per year for Taniala (no idea if that's true)....~$150k of that will be payments at risk, only if he plays for Wallabies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Each player is different, and the contracting approach by RA changes through the years, but the "packages" leaked to the press usually include all forecast match payments for the contract length and other allowances like attending Wallaby squads etc.

So to take ~$800k per year for Taniala (no idea if that's true)....~$150k of that will be payments at risk, only if he plays for Wallabies.

Apols, but I'm not following how this answers my query. Are we saying that $800k would be $650 (fixed) from the Reds?

All I'm pondering is the degree to which on-boarding a "name" player then reduces fund availability for others.