• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2025

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Reporting was that NSW wanted Talakai, not QLD.

I can see us picking up a loose head, particularly if Ravai's re-signing is blocked, but I don't think we need tight heads too badly.
I am incorrect. Thank you! Kailea is young, promising and was a brisbane based club player at least I believe?

Sword of Justice

Phil Hardcastle (33)
5.05pm is perfect. Office workers have 5 minutes to the nearest pub with their tradie mates getting there an hour earlier to jag the good seats.
I know your comment has a humerous intention but it’s actually a bad situation here. This has been discussed on the broadcast thread but there are precious few pubs you can watch the game at. The Breakfast Creek Hotel, probably Brisbane’s biggest pub, doesn’t play Rugby at all any more and the Regatta, possibly Brisbane’s most iconic pub, doesn’t play it either (or they don’t even know if they have Stan when I’ve asked). Sports bars don’t show it at all. The Reds have a partnership with the Jubilee Hotel and so you have one option in a city of 2.5m people. That may sound bad but against the Tahs on Friday I got there with my only mate who cares about the game still about 15 mins before kick off and we got a great seat right in front of the big screen. Dire.

Not sure what it’s like in Sydney, I used to watch games at the Oaks and the Kirribilli hotel but our equivalents up here play nhl replays and horse racing instead.

Sorry to derail.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Interestingly I was at the Royal Oak in Double Bay on Friday night - for the benefit of the Qlders who don't know, it's pretty much one of a few default pubs for all ex-GPS & ex-CAS boys for the last half a century. The place was humming with the hangover crowds from the Kings, Scots (parents) and Colleagues (Div 1 subbies) rugby long lunches. The Tahs v Reds game was not on in the front bar where we were (it may have been in the back bar). I'd say it probably could have been turned on, I checked the score on my phone about 15 minutes in and saw it was 0-12. I was expecting a blow out, so I didn't ask for it to be turned on as I was enjoying the company of the people I was with.

I think you can expect a better turn out for a finals game, it probably involves a bit of proactivity to ring around and find out where it's on and organise some people to go there.

Last edited:

Sword of Justice

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Interestingly I was at the Royal Oak in Double Bay on Friday night - for the benefit of the Qlders who don't know, it's pretty much one of a few default pubs for all ex-GPS & ex-CAS boys for the last half a century. The place was humming with the hangover crowds from the Kings, Scots (parents) and Colleagues (Div 1 subbies) rugby long lunches. The Tahs v Reds game was not on in the front bar where we were (it may have been in the back bar). I'd say it probably could have been turned on, I checked the score on my phone about 15 minutes in and saw it was 0-12. I was expecting a blow out, so I didn't ask for it to be turned on as I was enjoying the company of the people I was with.

I think you can expect a better turn out for a finals game, it probably involves a bit of proactivity to ring around and find out where it's on and organise some people to go there.
I think the problem is that a lot of these places don’t have Stan. The issue of the commercial license was sort of resolved I believe but the establishments just put on fox sports 1 through 3 plus espn and don’t want to pay another fee.

Respectfully I disagree that a finals game against the bustling metropolis of Hamilton NZ will pull more than our traditional rival in NSW.

It is unthinkable to me now that I could watch a Reds game at any pub in another city as I used to all the time. I believe this is the game’s biggest challenge - maintaining some place in the background subconscious.

Anyway can’t wait for Friday!

LevitatingSocks

Larry Dwyer (12)
I know your comment has a humerous intention but it’s actually a bad situation here. This has been discussed on the broadcast thread but there are precious few pubs you can watch the game at. The Breakfast Creek Hotel, probably Brisbane’s biggest pub, doesn’t play Rugby at all any more and the Regatta, possibly Brisbane’s most iconic pub, doesn’t play it either (or they don’t even know if they have Stan when I’ve asked). Sports bars don’t show it at all. The Reds have a partnership with the Jubilee Hotel and so you have one option in a city of 2.5m people. That may sound bad but against the Tahs on Friday I got there with my only mate who cares about the game still about 15 mins before kick off and we got a great seat right in front of the big screen. Dire.

Not sure what it’s like in Sydney, I used to watch games at the Oaks and the Kirribilli hotel but our equivalents up here play nhl replays and horse racing instead.

Sorry to derail.
The Regatta not having Stan is interesting considering the amount of traffic they get from Uni and Wests

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Regatta definitely had Super and Wallabies matches on (using Stan) last year - it would be hugely surprising if that has changed

Last edited:

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Regatta, Fridays, Port Office, Jubilee, Boundary Hotel, Caxton and Livewire are the pubs/bars reported to carry Stan Sport in inner-city Brisbane; I've seen some in person, others I haven't, so I can't confirm for certain. Outside of the inner-city you have some like the Crown in Lutwyche and a handful of others who also carry it.

Sword of Justice

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Regatta, Fridays, Port Office, Jubilee, Boundary Hotel, Caxton and Livewire are the pubs/bars reported to carry Stan Sport in inner-city Brisbane; I've seen some in person, others I haven't, so I can't confirm for certain. Outside of the inner-city you have some like the Crown in Lutwyche and a handful of others who also carry it.
Thank you very much. Port Office is pretty good so I’ll try that next time.

The young lady at the Regatta had no idea as to Stan and didn’t seem interested in finding out so I didn’t want to be that bloke but I’m glad to know because it is my favourite pub.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Thank you very much. Port Office is pretty good so I’ll try that next time.

The young lady at the Regatta had no idea as to Stan and didn’t seem interested in finding out so I didn’t want to be that bloke but I’m glad to know because it is my favourite pub.

Port Office plays all games of SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) on their main screen.

Often times they have rugby and AFL on and don’t bother with the NRL.