• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2025

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
Are you suggesting that lack of clarity errs on the side of RA contributing more? I'd always assumed with the term "top up" that the bulk of the funds came from the State Union.
I'm not really suggesting either way as I'm not certain and, as @Strewthcobber says, my understanding is it varies player-to-player (hence the 50/50 split being inaccurate) and there are other variables at play.

In saying that, my presumption would be that the club pays more than RA.

Reactions: dru

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
All I'm pondering is the degree to which on-boarding a "name" player then reduces fund availability for others.
We don't know. RA don't tell us, and every players contract split will be different

Total payment = Super Rugby salary + Super Rugby match payments + RA top-up + RA match payment + Bonuses+ allowances for travel/away games + Allowances for camps + any rugby foundation payments + etc etc.

Is Tupou getting ARF funding? I've never heard he is, but would it be a surprise?

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm not really suggesting either way as I'm not certain and, as @Strewthcobber says, my understanding is it varies player-to-player (hence the 50/50 split being inaccurate) and there are other variables at play.

In saying that, my presumption would be that the club pays more than RA.
For most players that would probably be true, but I'd say the highest paid players are probably getting paid more by RA (eg Hooper's last big contract)

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
For what it's worth, this is what Iain Payten reported last year re Donaldson

Donaldson is poised to sign with the Force under coach Simon Cron after a log jam of talent in the halves - and the 24-year-old’s rise to the Wallabies ranks - forced the hand of the Waratahs.
After playing two Tests last year and winning selection in Eddie Jones’ first squad in April, Donaldson has been elevated to a player of national interest and deemed worthy of a Rugby Australia top-up contract, according to informed sources.

Under Rugby Australia’s new contracting model, a group of around 40 top players are contracted directly by RA but the deals still require the state to pay the first $200,000 of the salary, and to agree to a preferred position nominated by RA.
Given the Waratahs have five-eighths Tane Edmed and Jack Bowen already on contract, and are set to extend injured utility Will Harrison for another season, informed sources say the Waratahs made the tough call they didn’t have the salary cap space to re-sign Donaldson as well.

dru

David Wilson (68)
For most players that would probably be true, but I'd say the highest paid players are probably getting paid more by RA (eg Hooper's last big contract)

So I'm just reverting to my starting position here - to all intents and purposes Reds would have to pay enough to Tupou that I would be worried that it diverts funds from others. I like the guy, and if he was taking direction, getting fit and working apparently harder than he has bee - then he would be a definite plus to the Reds. But I don't think he is any kind of priority as we are OK at THP imo, but there are positions we can be boosted. Prefer spending money elsewhere.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
I would take all the Queensland rebels players back but I understand that we can’t fit them all.

it’s pretty sad seeing the nsw centric media lobbying rebels players in the public spotlight they should join the Waratahs.

I know there’s no appetite for super rugby expansion but Queensland definitely has the cattle to support a 2nd super rugby side (wether they are competitive or profitable is another question entirely) I can’t say the same thing for NSW..: even with a larger population and a larger club rugby competition they don’t seem to be producing rugby products like we do north of the border.

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
I would take all the Queensland rebels players back but I understand that we can’t fit them all.

it’s pretty sad seeing the nsw centric media lobbying rebels players in the public spotlight they should join the Waratahs.

I know there’s no appetite for super rugby expansion but Queensland definitely has the cattle to support a 2nd super rugby side (wether they are competitive or profitable is another question entirely) I can’t say the same thing for NSW..: even with a larger population and a larger club rugby competition they don’t seem to be producing rugby products like we do north of the border.
NSW have supported a 2nd team since Super Rugby began.... they're called the Brumbies.

LevitatingSocks

Bill Watson (15)

Definitely have the players but the profitability is where the snags are. Gold Coast is where professional sporting franchises go to die, Sunny Coast is too small, Townsville and Cairns are league country, and if you put it in Brisbane you're cannibalizing your Reds supporters.

If Super Rugby could do it all over again I imagine they would have preferred to make Melbourne the third Australian Super Rugby Franchise on account of its population and pathways. Winning the World Cup in 1999 would have made establishing a beachhead in Melbourne far easier than the uphill battle the Rebels faced by being late to the party.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

I think we could have another side, but I don't see it being successful, I would fear it would be like the Gold Coast soccer team (hopefully without Clive Palmer) is being too close to an established team.

I could only see a QLD country team having a shot and being played in a country town, not shared but a dedicated town.

dillyboy

Arch Winning (36)
I think we could have another side, but I don't see it being successful, I would fear it would be like the Gold Coast soccer team (hopefully without Clive Palmer) is being too close to an established team.

I could only see a QLD country team having a shot and being played in a country town, not shared but a dedicated town.
I wouldn't be opposed to a Toowoomba based side as it's still doable to get there for games.

LevitatingSocks

Bill Watson (15)

It's unfortunate but if teams in cities with 2-5 million inhabitants and reign over entire states struggle to self-sustain, I don't know if a second team in any state could.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Don’t the Titans & Suns both still rely on heavy financial support.

My understanding is that no sporting team has ever been a commercial success on the Gold Coast, but happy to be corrected if I am incorrect.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Don’t the Titans & Suns both still rely on heavy financial support.

My understanding is that no sporting team has ever been a commercial success on the Gold Coast, but happy to be corrected if I am incorrect.

giants
Seagulls
Chargers
Rollers
Blaze
Clive palmers A league

Titans & suns can’t be too far behind

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
giants
Seagulls
Chargers
Rollers
Blaze
Clive palmers A league

Titans & suns can’t be too far behind
I think they’re safe - thanks to the fact that HQ can afford to bankroll them.

Sadly, rugby doesn’t have that river of cash coming in from TV rights. For all the consternation about the financial viability of the individual super teams I feel like that is a drop in to ocean compared to the lack of tv revenue being generated.

dru

David Wilson (68)
I think there might be a shot at a club in Ipswich pulling in Logan, GC, Darling Downs, Toowoomba. Base for Q country.

I don’t see it as slightly likely though.

Sword of Justice

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think there might be a shot at a club in Ipswich pulling in Logan, GC, Darling Downs, Toowoomba. Base for Q country.

I don’t see it as slightly likely though.
And then you have a possible issue in cannibalism of Reds fans who are close enough to Brisbane to make the trip to Suncorp, thereby splitting a customer base.

On the other hand, once the novelty wore off I don’t think FNQ really showed they could support a fan base in the long run by themselves.

dru

David Wilson (68)
And then you have a possible issue in cannibalism of Reds fans who are close enough to Brisbane to make the trip to Suncorp, thereby splitting a customer base.

On the other hand, once the novelty wore off I don’t think FNQ really showed they could support a fan base in the long run by themselves.

Mate, the fans are very much down to the truly rusted-on. Many of them would be happy for a home game every weekend. Not even every weekend as you’d do Townsville and, I don’t know, Gladstone

The talent is available, the marketing obvious (City and Country).

There is HEAPS that mean this thinking is farcical but I’m not convinced cannibalism is high on that list.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)

That's just outright wrong. They aren't great at keeping them but they certainly produce more of them than Qld.