• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2025

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Mate, the fans are very much down to the truly rusted-on. Many of them would be happy for a home game every weekend. Not even every weekend as you’d do Townsville and, I don’t know, Gladstone

The talent is available, the marketing obvious (City and Country).

There is HEAPS that mean this thinking is farcical but I’m not convinced cannibalism is high on that list.
The rusted on argument is one I find to be somewhat persuasive but I’m not sure 10k at the game is only the rusted on just yet. There are still a bunch of young kids attached to parents, young adults doing their due family activities, partners of the rusted on, and a handful of the curious that I see every home game.

Reactions: dru

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
That's just outright wrong. They aren't great at keeping them but they certainly produce more of them than Qld.
Sure!

The Waratahs want their 2025 team stacked with former rebels players from qld.

we also supply a good amount of cattle for the force and brumbies

Now nick off and enjoy your wooden spoon. The big boys have a playoff match tonight

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Sure!

Now nick off and enjoy your wooden spoon. The big boys have a playoff match tonight

This post has had me thinking.

The current Waratahs squad is full of talent, even talent capable of international quality. We should expect that in a Nation with 5 pro teams.

The difference, surely, is coaching. More than ever I thank Brad Thorn for his build. And I’m seriously grateful that we snagged Les.

We are possibly not going deep into the finals, but I’m really looking forward to meeting the Chiefs.

I’d guess that there are a hell of a lot of teams that the Chiefs would prefer to be meeting this week.

Go Red. Get out there and have fun.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
And then you have a possible issue in cannibalism of Reds fans who are close enough to Brisbane to make the trip to Suncorp, thereby splitting a customer base.

On the other hand, once the novelty wore off I don’t think FNQ really showed they could support a fan base in the long run by themselves.
An Ipswich based team would be interesting, not really rural but it would allow for a Brisbane(ish) game each week. I think the biggest problem would be the NRL introducing an Ipswich Jets team just to beat rugby.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
This post has had me thinking.

The current Waratahs squad is full of talent, even talent capable of international quality. We should expect that in a Nation with 5 pro teams.

The difference, surely, is coaching. More than ever I thank Brad Thorn for his build. And I’m seriously grateful that we snagged Les.

We are possibly not going deep into the finals, but I’m really looking forward to meeting the Chiefs.

I’d guess that there are a hell of a lot of teams that the Chiefs would prefer to be meeting this week.

Go Red. Get out there and have fun.
I think Thorn did the hard yards with the U20's and QLD country, he taught kids what it takes to be a pro. I dont think he had the ability to polish the team to a shine and this is why Kiss has been so good.

I would love for Thorn to come back into a role where he can go old school with kids to toughen them up and get them ready for higher honors.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Sure!

That’s a separate issue, I did mean to mention I hadn’t seen that so wouldn’t comment.

Good luck tonight reds, my number 2 team.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think Thorn did the hard yards with the U20's and QLD country, he taught kids what it takes to be a pro. I dont think he had the ability to polish the team to a shine and this is why Kiss has been so good.

I would love for Thorn to come back into a role where he can go old school with kids to toughen them up and get them ready for higher honors.

Totally agree. Anyone who says Thorn has no coaching ability just doesn’t get it.

He was able to turn a bunch of NRC players into essentially the bulk of the Reds squad and a few keys onto the Wallabies.

He clearly has a knack for talent identification and development coaching.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
Totally agree. Anyone who says Thorn has no coaching ability just doesn’t get it.

He was able to turn a bunch of NRC players into essentially the bulk of the Reds squad and a few keys onto the Wallabies.

He clearly has a knack for talent identification and development coaching.
I think a lot of that is what he brings in shifting young players' mindsets towards hard work and professionalism. The enormous cultural shift Thorn drove at the Reds, particularly in the early years, has been quickly forgotten by some imo.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think a lot of that is what he brings in shifting young players' mindsets towards hard work and professionalism. The enormous cultural shift Thorn drove at the Reds, particularly in the early years, has been quickly forgotten by some imo.
I think he teaches that sacrifice is required to succeed or to further your career.

Small things like making a player cut his hair if he wants a job demonstrated who was boss and that the players are not in charge. As they got older some could not handle this and moved on.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)

Attachments

• DkP1P_xVsAUj4IF.jpeg
    DkP1P_xVsAUj4IF.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 26

LevitatingSocks

Ted Fahey (11)
Maybe he looked at the professionalism of the New York Yankees and wanted to replicate their success?
The yankees are widely known for spending disproportionate amounts of money to underachieve, killing careers, and living in the light of championships from before color television existed. Not sure that's the example a club in a financially precarious code wants to imitate.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Maybe he looked at the professionalism of the New York Yankees and wanted to replicate their success?
An MLB season involves 162 regular season games across 186 days before playoffs even start, and First Team payrolls that can be in excess of $200 million USD.

Discipline is discipline, but when a chunk of your main squad will be on minimum salary and the WTS could likely earn more driving around a forklift, it's a very different world.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
The Reds have won the comp more recently than the Yanks too. Have a look how many mullets were cheering last years Champ's coach doing his breakdance routine.

There are far more.important things for a coach to focus on

Mick The Munch

Ron Walden (29)
Question for the group - if as rumoured, Canham and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) are coming your way, how will you fit everyone in the Lock position - will it be disruptive?