• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2025

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Re: Fw: Fw: Intel from Sully in the Force thread

Bit of a loss if true, but makes sense given the signings of Daugunu and Campbell.

Signs point to Petaia sticking around?
They have been after him for a couple of years I think. Definitely a loss, but I think it's one we are somewhat prepared for.

Not sure it points to Petaia sticking around as much as it is a consequence of Campbell, Daugunu, the emergence of Ryan and a fair bit of depth in that age group for fullback/wingers - Annan and Aubrey, with McLaughlin-Phillips as an option to cover 15 and guys like Will McCulloch and Ryley Bierton coming through. Sounds like we might also be getting Anderson from the Rebels and maybe a Vaihu (or 2).

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
From what I've seen on Roar and Instagram, Petaia is pretty much a done deal for the NFL international pathways isn't he?
Yeah I missed that report yesterday. In saying that, they make it sound likely but not a done deal yet - especially Planet Rugby's reporting:
The report adds that Petaia has not ruled out remaining in rugby union but is considering his options with the growing uncertainty in the game in Australia.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
They have been after him for a couple of years I think. Definitely a loss, but I think it's one we are somewhat prepared for.

Not sure it points to Petaia sticking around as much as it is a consequence of Campbell, Daugunu, the emergence of Ryan and a fair bit of depth in that age group for fullback/wingers - Annan and Aubrey, with McLaughlin-Phillips as an option to cover 15 and guys like Will McCulloch and Ryley Bierton coming through. Sounds like we might also be getting Anderson from the Rebels and maybe a Vaihu (or 2).
I do wonder about Annan and Aubrey - they've been in the squad for several seasons now and seemingly keep getting leapfrogged. Still obviously both very young, but I wonder if they'll be looking elsewhere soon.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I do wonder about Annan and Aubrey - they've been in the squad for several seasons now and seemingly keep getting leapfrogged. Still obviously both very young, but I wonder if they'll be looking elsewhere soon.
I thought Annan's size was useful in the midfield at times this year and I think they've got him on a path to being a Jordie Barret/Reece Hodge sort of utility. Don't want to rush that too much with a young body though. Aubrey hasn't looked ready to me, though he was a bit better this year. I feel like he'd get a huge amount from a stint in 7s, where he can play regular professional rugby without his weaknesses being to exposed.

Either way they are both very young though (both 21 this year I think) and I don't think they'll be in a rush to go elsewhere just yet, not with the Rebels gone and a reduction in places in Australia. We might still lose one of them, but it would probably be more by choice at this stage.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I thought Annan took a couple of good steps forward this year. But obviously has some good players in front of him and is still only 21. He does bring some size to the backline which we need.

At the end of last year I felt like Grealy had been around for ages and just have been close to being moved on, but then was really good this year. I just think it is a product of these guys being signed so young.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
Lachie Anderson signed

1721091868683.png

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Might mean both of them are with the squad for the Wales game, probably just enough time to get up to speed as bench options at least, unless they've actually been training with the group for a while.

rugbyAU

John Solomon (38)
Gee the reds are the top beneficiaries of the rebels departure out of the 4 Aus sides

just need a quality tight head

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
ust need a quality tight head
We have Zane and also Jeff. In 2026 well be needing a capable back up but right now we have the perfect blend between experienced and up developing.

If Petaia does go it'll be an interesting shuffle in the middle. We only have Henry as the current designated centre (with Flook and Hunter). So we need Henry to stay fit if Petaia goes. There is that Churchie lad from last year who looks promising but would we be rushing him next season?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gee the reds are the top beneficiaries of the rebels departure out of the 4 Aus sides

just need a quality tight head
Toomaga-Allen, Nonggorr and De Lutiis with Fa'agase backing up is a pretty strong group, particularly going forward. I'd only look at bringing an experienced option in to manage De Lutiis' development a bit, but I wouldn't want to spend too much to do it.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Glad to see Gibbo's got himself something sorted. He looked to be in no man's land a little bit with Kailea leapfrogging him for both the Rebels starter jersey and that "not Slipper and Bell" Wallabies Loosehead Group.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
We have Zane and also Jeff. In 2026 well be needing a capable back up but right now we have the perfect blend between experienced and up developing.

If Petaia does go it'll be an interesting shuffle in the middle. We only have Henry as the current designated centre (with Flook and Hunter). So we need Henry to stay fit if Petaia goes. There is that Churchie lad from last year who looks promising but would we be rushing him next season?
I imagine Goldsborough will start to get some time off the bench next year, but he's still got a year of under 20's to play (maybe 2?) so that will be his focus. Dre Pakeho is in a similar position. The main centres used will be Paisami (inside and outside), Henry (inside), Flook (outside), Daugunu (outside) and Annan (inside and outside). 5 seems like plenty of coverage with other temporary options in and around the squad.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Thanks Wilson, sounds like we can cover Jordans departure pretty smartly then especially with the Anderson signing.

Hopefully Junkyard Dog is able to put on some kilo's over the break as even swapping Flipo for Jordan, we're a tad on the small side; Lynagh, Hunter, Flook, Ryan, Flipo and Jock.

Has anyone heard how De Lutis is developing? He's a massive lad so hopefully we start to see him in the match day 23 next season?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I imagine Goldsborough will start to get some time off the bench next year, but he's still got a year of under 20's to play (maybe 2?) so that will be his focus. Dre Pakeho is in a similar position. The main centres used will be Paisami (inside and outside), Henry (inside), Flook (outside), Daugunu (outside) and Annan (inside and outside). 5 seems like plenty of coverage with other temporary options in and around the squad.
JOC (James O'Connor)?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thanks Wilson, sounds like we can cover Jordans departure pretty smartly then especially with the Anderson signing.

Hopefully Junkyard Dog is able to put on some kilo's over the break as even swapping Flipo for Jordan, we're a tad on the small side; Lynagh, Hunter, Flook, Ryan, Flipo and Jock.

Has anyone heard how De Lutis is developing? He's a massive lad so hopefully we start to see him in the match day 23 next season?
I wouldn't want to see too much of De Lutiis next year, he's still very young. A couple of stints off the bench early in the season to give him a taste and an idea of what to aim for, but then once club starts playing most of his rugby there and getting good minutes.