• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Queensland Reds 2025

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Ultimately the preference is to keep Petaia, but potentially he needs a break.

There’s a high chance he won’t be picked up even if he attends the NFL International Pathway and he could return to rugby mid-next year. Maybe it’s the break he needs, mentally and physically.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Ultimately the preference is to keep Petaia, but potentially he needs a break.

There’s a high chance he won’t be picked up even if he attends the NFL International Pathway and he could return to rugby mid-next year. Maybe it’s the break he needs, mentally and physically.

I don't mind Petaia being offered an opportunity to testthe NFL International Pathway. Nor being welcomed back if the likely result (not being required in NFL) happens.

Sword of Justice

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I really have no idea but if Rees-Zammit can make it into a squad then surely Petaia is pretty much guaranteed to be the next Gronkowski right? I mean some people say Petaia is overrated (they’re wrong) but Louis is the king of instagram followers>talent.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
If Petaia gets a no thank you from the NFL, I suspect his next port of call would be the NRL.
Maybe not, I think it's just as likely he takes the year off to have a crack and then makes his way back to the reds, possibly dependent on cap space (Vunivalu's contract ends at the right time for that though). Most of the talk about the NRL interest is that he wasn't that keen on it, and assuming he misses out on the NFL he may not want to waste more time getting up to speed for another code switch. Probably a bit dependent on his departure being on good terms, but it sounds like it will be so far.

The bigger worry would be then losing him to Japan at that stage - they'd likely be able to offer more money and probably more career longevity give his injury history.