• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade Cooper going to NRL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
In saying that no one does as much for club footy as TPN. At the same time, Quade is pretty bloody prominent. He does love to play club footy and has probably played more of it over the last year than a lot of regular Wallabies. He goes down to Jnr footy too. Usually to watch his brothers, but I know when he went to watch his bro v my nephew's team he came and spent time with my nephew's team both at half time and full time, signing puh-lenty of autographs and having photos. The kids love him.

Jumping on that early flight from Wellington to make it for the GF last year also is a good indicator of how much he loves club rugby.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Its all semantics, but good,held up his part, great are going to mean different things to different people. Or the same people, in my case.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
thats what is required to be dubbed great now?

Did you watch that match? He scored 22 points, spent most of his time being defense organizer in a side that was throughly beaten. It wasn't a ten out of ten, but has Giteau ever had a 10/10 game for the Wallabies?

H

H...

Did you watch that match? He scored 22 points, spent most of his time being defense organizer in a side that was throughly beaten. It wasn't a ten out of ten, but has Giteau ever had a 10/10 game for the Wallabies?

You're saying he was the defence organiser on a team that leaked 32 points as if its a good thing. We probably should have him working for the military.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
spot the error in wisdom from this smart mungo from the terror

At least the NRL is sending some wind back in the direction of these other inferior codes who have been raiding our stocks for years.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
spot the error in wisdom from this smart mungo from the terror

I wouldn't know where to begin with that little gem. Was the writer born in 2002? Is not one a singular number - what code other than Rugby has raided mungoball EVER, let alone for years?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
If anyone can reel off any great performances against the other 3N teams, I'll go back and watch them. Not interested in what he's done against Japan or in June though.

I don't know if this is to your point as I'm not sure if you mean Giteau as 10 or 12 but Deans' first 3N game as Oz coach in Bledisloe I in Sydney 2008, Oz beat NZ comfortably and the 10. Giteau, 12. Barnes combo worked a treat - left foot, right foot. I was a bit puzzled that Deans chose Gits at 10 and Barnes at 12 because they worked pretty well against Wales in the 2007 RWC the other way around for Knuckles, but in 2008 we were all crowing on this forum that happy days were here again.

Little did we know it was a one off.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I wouldn't know where to begin with that little gem. Was the writer born in 2002? Is not one a singular number - what code other than Rugby has raided mungoball EVER, let alone for years?
Karmichael Hunt is going to the AFL, via Rugby, Darts, Free Diving and Synchronised Swimming

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
To get this thread back on topic, MrTimms and I have put together a short video interlude.

The kind folks at ASIO have forward G&GR a transcript of a phone conversation between Quade Cooper and his agent Richard Colreavy from earlier this week. We've taken some inspiration from the excellent work being done by Today Tonight and A Current Affair and hired actors to re-enact the scene.

[video=youtube;Hta8EbQiQ-I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hta8EbQiQ-I[/video]

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I don't know if this is to your point as I'm not sure if you mean Giteau as 10 or 12 but Deans' first 3N game as Oz coach in Bledisloe I in Sydney 2008, Oz beat NZ comfortably and the 10. Giteau, 12. Barnes combo worked a treat - left foot, right foot. I was a bit puzzled that Deans chose Gits at 10 and Barnes at 12 because they worked pretty well against Wales in the 2007 RWC the other way around for Knuckles, but in 2008 we were all crowing on this forum that happy days were here again.

Little did we know it was a one off.

Well said Lee. I was at that game and thought all was right with the world at that point in time. We very nearly won in Brisbane too.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
RH - the only issue I have with your argument is that the same arguments were made about Giteau and since he signed the mega deal with the ARU his game has been in steady decline to the point where most of us agree he is a stretch to make the 22 on merit. The biggest difference is that Cooper has proved less in Rugby than Giteau did prior to that mega deal. IMO any huge sums thrown at Cooper also devalues the deals of the hard grafters in the pigs who the success or loss can be based upon. Players like TPN (who does so much more for Rugby at all levels than QC (Quade Cooper) has ever done), Robinson, Alexander and Pocock. Without them Cooper would have no chance to shine in Rugby. Do not throw the baby out so to speak just to keep another one happy.

Points taken. But it's a stretch to argue IMO that the large payments in and of themselves created G's downwards performance spiral per se. And what seems to have happened with Giteau is that this high payment level has gone on and on and on for many years, and not adjusted downwards against any form of KPI whatsoever.

I would never advocate QC (Quade Cooper) or any other was given a contract at the higher levels I mentioned for, say, more than 2 years, or longer if essential but then with full KPI adjustment rights (in favour of the ARU) after the first fixed 2 years were completed. The other issue with Giteau is that the high salary should not in any circumstances force his selection when he's been playing poorly - half the problem is that RD/ARU has not had the selection courage to drop or bench him for a while or force him to have time away from the game for a period of deeper renewal (if such was possible).

I do definitely take your point re intra-team relativities, but unfortunately in sport today there are always going to emerge some dazzlers who stand out and pull fans, big time. They're going to tend to be backs in rugby. (In fact, if I could invert this point, I'm rather glad we have some in this class, as with none I would fear even more for the code.) And today the dazzlers going to be code-mobile and country-mobile and they're going to have smart agents who will find ways to get their market price established. It's harsh sports capitalism 2010-version I know, but sports owners are going to fear the loss of the crowd and media pulling dazzlers and high-performers, more than a 'middle class' forward.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
RH, I think you make a powerful argument. However, rugby games are not won by one player. The pack determines who wins footy games, the backs decide by how much. A key reason why we are losing more games than we'd like right now is that half of our good quality forwards are unavailable. So basically what we need to do is everything reasonable to keep QC (Quade Cooper), but not break the bank doing it. We need to keep our good young forwards in the the S15/Wallaby system and stave off the threat of NH money as much as we do with league and the backs.

Yes TBH. We have to deal with the NH competitive factor absolutely. One of my major concerns re the under-performing Wallabies is a shrewd point made elsewhere by Gnostic, namely, the longer this trend goes on and digs in and the negative media gets really hot, we will start to find the best players get jack of it all and second-rate coaching and lame excuses and propping up the ones who clearly shouldn't be selected etc, and just say to their agents 'stuff this, I want a better environment and if I can get more $s I'll take them.' In other words, growing internal disillusionment starts to marry up with their market price in say France going ever higher, and we start to lose key players for these reasons. We are not there yet, but I sense we might not be miles away either. One of 20 good reasons why we must get our Wallabies performing well again, and happiness for most will follow.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I think TPN should be making 10% more than Cooper.

Cooper has started more tests than TPN already, was man of the match against England and when he isn't there, the wallaby back line looked like they had yet to be introduced.

More to the point, TPN is not unsigned and getting big offers from league.

If the ARU are setting top-up figures on the basis of negotiation (and of course they have), this (the Cooper saga) is the end result. If the ARU is doing so in order to prevent individuals from going elsewhere lured by big money, then market value is the players value on the market - and Cooper is going to score more.

Status
Not open for further replies.