• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade Cooper going to NRL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
No player can ever again be bigger than the game.

this is problem in australian rugby. guys like JOC (James O'Connor), QC (Quade Cooper), Rocky and Gits all have at times shown this. guys like beale don't seem to have it. seem to be a little more grateful.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Looks like a mungo,talks like a mungo, acts like a mungo...... of course he wants to join his kind. The game would be no worse off without him. Call his bluff I say.....

T

TOCC

this is problem in australian rugby. guys like JOC (James O'Connor), QC (Quade Cooper), Rocky and Gits all have at times shown this. guys like beale don't seem to have it. seem to be a little more grateful.

is that a joke, it was only last year that Beale signing with a NRL club was tossed around.. It didnt create the media storm that Quade Cooper is, but thats more of a reflection upon there standing within the game at the time.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/179742

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
From my perspective, the Quade Cooper saga is a big issue for 1 major reason. There is nothing to talk about in rugby!

The Wallabies are losing, and being thrashed while they are at it.
There has been a big break between our last game and our next.
Cooper had time to think things over while being suspended.

While the AFL and NRL are talking about finals, and soccer is talking about a new exciting coach, interest in the Wallabies and rugby is fading. We should actually be thanking him, as otherwise rugby would not even get a mention. Let's hope we can talk about a winning Wallabies team in a weeks time.

T

TOCC

From my perspective, the Quade Cooper saga is a big issue for 1 major reason. There is nothing to talk about in rugby!

While the AFL and NRL are talking about finals, and soccer is talking about a new exciting coach, interest in the Wallabies and rugby is fading. We should actually be thanking him, as otherwise rugby would not even get a mention. Let's hope we can talk about a winning Wallabies team in a weeks time.

i don't necessarily agree, this is causing a equally large media storm in the league columns as well

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
i don't necessarily agree, this is causing a equally large media storm in the league columns as well

Most of the Parramatta league columns I've read have been about Feleti Mateo and coach Daniel Anderson. Cooper usually gets a side note at the end.

T

TOCC

Could this whole QC (Quade Cooper) thing be a bit of smokescren to take attention away from the turmoil that Parra is in right now?

very much so, this could be working well for both parties, Parra want to distract the media from there questionable form and the the likely sacking of there coach.

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)

Agree!!!!!
Get the game on the back page. Get people talking rugby.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I say let him go.
He is obviously enjoying the attention despite it distracting the Wallabies from the job at hand.

He had better perform in SA.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I wonder how many of you "let them go" type guys are Qld supporters?

if the RAU upped his contract offer by 100000 cos his manager said he might go, were does it stop, if has never performed like he does for the reds for the wallabies, he doesnt instantly make the wallabies a better team or a team more likely to win, so why does he deserve more money?

i agree he is vital to the reds and like phil waugh for the tahs the aru should do there best to keep all the franchises as strong as possible, but were does value end, if Benn says he wants 200000 more, he is far more vital and ahead of all his competition for his spot, doe she get it? or do they play tough with him?

If cooper wants to sign for a crap team full of wannabes then tell him to have fun, dont tell him he is never welcome back or that rugby doesnt want him, tell him to make the best decision for him and that they will support him no matter what, if he still chooses to go, just dont talk about him, lik he is dead or english.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
2 MoM, 5 tries and a hand in nearly every other try we've scored. What would he have to do to make the wallabies better!

T

TOCC

if the RAU upped his contract offer by 100000 cos his manager said he might go, were does it stop, if has never performed like he does for the reds for the wallabies, he doesnt instantly make the wallabies a better team or a team more likely to win, so why does he deserve more money?

i agree he is vital to the reds and like phil waugh for the tahs the aru should do there best to keep all the franchises as strong as possible, but were does value end, if Benn says he wants 200000 more, he is far more vital and ahead of all his competition for his spot, doe she get it? or do they play tough with him?

If cooper wants to sign for a crap team full of wannabes then tell him to have fun, dont tell him he is never welcome back or that rugby doesnt want him, tell him to make the best decision for him and that they will support him no matter what, if he still chooses to go, just dont talk about him, lik he is dead or english.

Without trying to turn this into a QLD vs the rest debate, I think we need to look at this subject from a economic viewpoint.

QLD Reds crowds increased %25? in 2010, based on the increased competitiveness and enjoyable style of play, which without a doubt was largely centred around the skills of Quade Cooper. Im not saying he is responsible for everything but he was without a doubt a pivotal player.

Now, if Quade remains in 2011 and 2012, and the Reds continue a similar style of play and continue to win more game then they lose then we could realistically see the Reds crowds average around 30-35'000 rather then the 20'000 that they have in years gone by.

Crowd figures alone equate to a $1million increase to the QRU's bottom line, then we factor in the added merchandise sales which subsequently increase then it is looking at a massive boost.

Not to forget that the QRU is also renegotiating a major sponsor for the 2011-2012 season, what is a Reds team minus Quade really worth, i would argue quite a bit less.

Now you might ask what does this have to do with the ARU, well the QRU is currently financially backed and governed by the ARU, additionally the endeavours at state level filter through to Wallaby level.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I keep hearing this argument. Isn't it more that the QLD gates have gone up because you've gone from dead fucking last but one, to a good gap above dead last?

By that I mean it's less about the Quade Train, and more about not being a jibbering mess, so that a lot of supporters who couldn't take any more have come back.
If this had happened under Genia and Barnes, they'd be back all the same.

T

TOCC

I keep hearing this argument. Isn't it more that the QLD gates have gone up because you've gone from dead fucking last but one, to a good gap above dead last?

By that I mean it's less about the Quade Train, and more about not being a jibbering mess, so that a lot of supporters who couldn't take any more have come back.

Hence why i said he wasn't responsible for the crowd increase, but he was without a doubt a pivotal player in it

If he leave and the Reds continue to rise and the crowds continue to turn up, then so be it, everyones happy...

However, what happens if he leaves and the Reds again start there losing ways, crowds drop etc etc.. Is it really worth the risk?

Not only that, QC (Quade Cooper) is a pin-up boy, he might not be the greatest role model, but he is definitely a recognizable player who younger kids inspire to be like.. Should never underestimate the drawing power of a pin-up boy..

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
No question that we would all (even folks who are not from Qld) prefer if he stayed and Australian rugby would be the better for it.

But....there are just better ways to go about the re-negotiation process

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I keep hearing this argument. Isn't it more that the QLD gates have gone up because you've gone from dead fucking last but one, to a good gap above dead last?....By that I mean it's less about the Quade Train, and more about not being a jibbering mess, so that a lot of supporters who couldn't take any more have come back.

That rather makes the point; in fact, Barnes in 2009 for the Reds didn't 'make it happen', not even close. And, yes, if a Barnes paired with a Genia in 2010 had achieved: the same consistent ball-in-hand dazzle, incredible short and long passing skills (with high accuracy under pressure), excellent orchestration of the Reds' backs game after game, exceptional vision in tough games, and wonderful stepping through multiple defenders, then, yes, Barnes could have been a catalyst for the Reds' fans return in 2010.

But that wasn't Barnes in 2010. That isn't anybody else with those skills in the Reds in 2010. That was QC (Quade Cooper). He's unique in Australian top rugby today, with these skills at 10. Yes, Genia was the perfect enabler and partner for these talents. In combination, they were the core catalysts for most of the Reds' wins. That's why you and BD and LG rightly have all referred to the huge Wallaby-reviving potential and p.o.d. of this nexus of 9 and 10.

There's no doubt that Quade himself was a major part of the Reds' income/game revival in 2010. His skills created a core of dynamism and successful running rugby that thrilled. This - plus the exciting wins v the best S14 teams - brought the fans back. He's a big part of the Reds 2010 income gain, I have no doubt, it would have happened to a far less a degree without him.

PS: The above comments under-credit the decisive parts the Reds' forwards played the Reds' revival this year, exceptionally well coached as they were by Link and Evans. But the above notes re QC (Quade Cooper) are still just as true.

PSS: Btw, QC (Quade Cooper) scored 171 points for the 2010 Reds season, beating the previous best of 155 (John Eales in 1996)

Status
Not open for further replies.