• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade Cooper going to NRL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
You seem to be forgetting that Quade was also in the losing QLD team the year before.

Qld played some dazzling "BBQ" footy before 2010, the difference was that it wasn't winning rugby. If it had been dazzling in 2010 but still not winning, regardless of QC (Quade Cooper) you wouldn't have seen the gates.

I agree he's been a big part of it, but Jeremy Paul style laying it at QCs feet to justify a "pay whatever he wants" approach doesn't make sense.

T

TOCC

You seem to be forgetting that Quade was also in the losing QLD team the year before.

Qld played some dazzling "BBQ" footy before 2010, the difference was that it was winning rugby. If it had been dazzling in 2010 but still not winning, regardless of QC (Quade Cooper) you wouldn't have seen the gates.

I agree he's been a big part of it, but Jeremy Paul style laying it at QCs feet to justify a "pay whatever he wants" approach doesn't make sense.

nobody on here is suggesting the ARU pay whatever he wants, just saying that the ARU needs to assess his value in a broad economic sense and not purely just what he can offer at Wallaby level.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Fair enough, but I'll be more precise.

The difference between the Reds gates receipts in 2009 vs 2010 shouldn't be used as justification for QCs ARU or Reds package

because

1) He wasn't responsible for all, or even most of it (don't forget that pack, the man inside him and a few blokes outside him who played well and were coached well)

2) The reds gate receipts shouldn't be the ARU's business in strict financial terms

I'm not of Lance's view on the front page that we say 'fuck him", he's a real talent and an important one for Australia going forward (dingo bingo).

But I do think we've got to get this in perspective, and see this league threat for what it is - an agent's bluff.

There are a lot of knives getting sunk into JO'N and the ARU over this, maybe partly fairly. But they didn't ditch QC (Quade Cooper) with his two court cases, and I think correctly waited for them to clear before signing - [or did they? Maybe it was the agent waiting for QC (Quade Cooper) to prove his worth in the G&G a bit more before pulling the league bluff 101.]

The bigger picture is that the JO'N picked up a financial headache from Flowers together with a global financial clusterfuck, which meant that Wallaby salary expectations needed to be re-based following the years of the Six Million dollar men. This will continue to shake out, but we can't just drop our daks everytime an agent whips up some media pressure, regardless who the name is

T

TOCC

I'm witting on my phone so il keep it short

1) I've said numerous times now that he was not responsible for the Reds resurgence, he was however a pivotal(quite literally) player in the resurgance

2) Whilst the ARU is the creditor to the QRU, the bottom line of the QRU is critically important to the ARU.. Regardless, that was not the reason I brought the subject up to start with, I raised the point to demonstrate the jump in revenue the QRU has experienced as a result of the Reds performances(see pt.1), and subsequently, how a attractive brand of rugby could do the same for the wallabies and the ARU..

Ultimately, I have never said that I think this is a legit offer, I felt compelled to offer my POV in reply to those people who were dismissing his value to the game

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
How can the ARU continue to allow this guy's agent to hold them to ransom?

Makes the ARU look pretty toothless and QC (Quade Cooper) like a complete money grabbing twat.

They should give him a deadline.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
How can the ARU continue to allow this guy's agent to hold them to ransom?

Makes the ARU look pretty toothless and QC (Quade Cooper) like a complete money grabbing twat.

They should give him a deadline.

Negotiating 101. Never let the other side know what your deadline is. If the ARU wants to retain him - and given that he is currently the first choice 10, they obviously would prefer him to stay, rather than leave - they should, and will, keep their head and deal with the negotiating process in a calm and rational manner.

In one sense, the ARU is toothless. If Cooper wants to walk, there is absolutely nothing they can do to stop him. That is why it is important for the negotiations to proceed in a sensible manner, without any emotional baggage (except a bit, if it helps our cause).

G

Geeves

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/cooper-mystery-driven-by-one-of-the-seven-deadly-sins/story-e6frg7mf-1225907980890

I haven't noticed anyone mention this or perhaps I didn't troll through the previous comment correctly. Basically the article suggests that Quade found out that a player was given an ARU contract $30k above his base. Now the other player has not been a full time wallaby player over the last 3 years and is basically not wanted by Deans.

If correct you can understand why Quade got pissed off. As yes with match payments he would end up with a higher salary. But he doesn't get these payments if he is injured or suspended.

If the funds are so tight then questions about allocating funding to fringe players rather than players we hope to build a successful team on have got to be questioned.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Don't need to be a genius to work out that Phil Waugh is the player mentioned in that article.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Morty would be likely. If he was not injured, he would probably be the Wallaby 13 at the moment. I say Waugh as he has not even come close to selection under Deans.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I agree that Cooper, and to a lesser extent Beale are problematic in defense, but they bring so much in attack that is clearly unpredictable and potentially match-winning. Defense can be learned. The knack to attack like they do is something that most can never have. I think we all obsess on their deficiencies a tad too much.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Agree. Australia must have these guys in the team. And I have to confess to doing a complete Beale back flip.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Agree. Australia must have these guys in the team. And I have to confess to doing a complete Beale back flip.

Yeah me to, infact I also did a complete backflip on quade this season as well.

During the train rides home after reds games in 07, 08 and 09, the most common words heard when eavesdropping were, "fucking quade, why is he still in the team". Good to see he's finally found his feet.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I agree that Cooper, and to a lesser extent Beale are problematic in defense, but they bring so much in attack that is clearly unpredictable and potentially match-winning. Defense can be learned. The knack to attack like they do is something that most can never have. I think we all obsess on their deficiencies a tad too much.

It is taking Cooper a fucking long time to learn it. He isn't small, so he shouldn't be so scared of putting his head down, but he virtually never does when tackling front on.

Status
Not open for further replies.