• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade Cooper going to NRL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
What did the ARU do wrong?

The sensible thing to do wold have been to sign Cooper to a contract provisional on the outcome of the court matter. Leaving him without a contract and not ratifying the Reds agreement by extension of this was just silly. Moving on such a provisional contract would have been good business sense in a lot of ways Just a few:-
1) A public display of support for Cooper at a difficult time for him without condoning any Criminal behaviour if proved at court.
2) Provides surety to the Reds team and allows forward planning.
3) Cooper would have signed a deal pretty quick I am sure back then before his huge run of form and with everything hanging over his head. Would've been a damn sight cheaper for the ARU as well you can bet.

Points 1 and 2 are the most important. I see no problem in any provisional contract with any employee in such a case, in fact it is really just an extension of their Code of Conduct. The ARU made a mistake here plain and simple.

Aussie D

Desmond Connor (43)
What did the ARU do wrong?

I blame Eddie Jones. In 2007 when coach of the Reds he invited Matty Johns to training who got in Quade's ear about how great he would be in league. The QRu were lucky not to lose him then and now. Hopefully they will be lucky again in 3 years time.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Geez, I don't remember QC (Quade Cooper) playing that great until this year.
At the time of his court case I don't think the ARU gave 2 figs if he stayed or not.
I can't recall specifics, but this was not his first off field indiscretion.
Where were all the League offers BEFORE his dramatic improvement in form?
If the ARU is at fault, it is for not predicting his transition from fringe to marquee player this season.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
At the time of his court case I don't think the ARU gave 2 figs if he stayed or not.
If the ARU is at fault, it is for not predicting his transition from fringe to marquee player this season.

at the start of the season he was the incumbent Wallaby inside centre and had a VERY good European tour.

T

TOCC

as Aussie D alluded to in the very post above yours, QC (Quade Cooper) was receiving offers from the NRL 3 years back after Matty Johns had come up to give the Reds some kicking coaching, Newcastle Knights chased him pretty hard at the time.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
League may have well made offers to QC (Quade Cooper) when he was a teenager, they certainly bid up his price in the last few months.However it is
the assertions are that the ARU were remiss in not signing him earlier, thus allowing league a chance of "pinching" him.

QC (Quade Cooper) was no more than a fringe player before last years Spring tour, where he did play very well.

However he got straight off the plane and into trouble with the Police.

At that point of time, many were calling for instant dismissal, others were calling for him to be sidelined until the court case was finalised.
Supporters were saying only that due process should followed, with no decision on his current contract to be made until he he had his day in court. NO ONE was suggesting an extension or an upgrade of his contract would be prudent.

We should remember that LT had his contract terminated only a few months earlier, and JON was talking tough about off field behaviour. There was no interest from any League clubs at this time,had there been I am sure JON would have let him go, as it would have been an easy solution for the ARU (but not for the Reds).Remember that Gits & Berrick were in better form then
I don't think anyone disputes that QC (Quade Cooper)'s form has gone to a new level this season, and this is why Parra came on the scene.
When should have the ARU resigned QC (Quade Cooper)?

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
QC (Quade Cooper) showed a lot of promise over the last year prior to the EOYT. This is why he went. Everyone with 1/2 a brain could see the potential in the guy. (apart from some fools that only looked at his brain explosions he had on field and off) The ARU should have signed him early on as stated by Gnostic. Big mistake!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think it's pretty easy to be wise after the event when it comes to Quade. If I cast my mind back to before the EOYT, he was by no means a shoe-in to be in the Wallaby starting XV. Indeed, if Barnes had stayed fit, he probably wouldn't have played a test. So anyway, he gets his chance, makes the most of it and started delivering on the promise. Fantastic. Then he gets in trouble with the law and the ARU quite rightly would have said to themselves: let's see how this pans out before acting further. Now this creates opportunities for other parties to get involved, but so be it. Gnostic's point about contract clauses is a good one though.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
How could the ARU sign him to a new deal, with conditions about a CRIMINAL trial, when they had just sacked Lote for a breach of protocal just months earlier?
We all forget about emotions/thoughts at THAT point of time.Some people forget there were a lot of people saying that the Wallaby jersey & what it represents was bigger than any individual.
We are all forgetting that QC (Quade Cooper) did not have the international stature then, as he has now.
Time & unbelievable form seems to clear most peoples memories.
I am not on an anti QC (Quade Cooper) crusader, I am just attempting to remind people where public opinion was late last year, when people are now saying he should have been extended by the ARU.
If the ARU had signed QC (Quade Cooper) prior to his legal case being completed there would have been an uproar.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
QuadeWatch:

Does anyone follow Quade on Twitter? If you do, you would know that he spells the word in as i'n. This has got under my skin and I've been hassling Twits all day to find out if there is any rational reason why he would do so.

Well, I'm still on the case, but during my investigations, I was shown this, which I do find hilarious.

https://twitter.com/English50cent

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Quade Cooper knocks back Parramatta Eels offer to switch to NRL and sticks with Wallabies

* Iain Payten
* September 10, 2010 11:44AM

Quade Cooper Wallabies_

Staying put ... Wallabies playmaker Quade Cooper has finally decided on his future and put an end to the war for his signature between rugby and the NRL. Source: Getty Images

THE Wallabies are set to receive a massive boost on the eve of tomorrow night's Bledisloe Cup clash by announcing the re-signing of star five-eighth Quade Cooper.

The ARU are expected to announce at a press conference at 1pm that Cooper has rejected a bid from NRL club Parramatta and will stay in rugby.
The Queensland attacking whiz has been the subject of a fierce cross-code bidding war, following the Eels' offer of $500,000 per season to play league.

But Cooper has opted to stay in rugby to compete in the World Cup with the Wallabies next year on a contract offer that could see him earn up to $600,000 per season.

Cooper and James O'Connor will be blogging live on the Daily Telegraph website from 2.30pm. Don't forget to log on and throw the star Wallabies a question.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The official release

Quade Cooper re-signs with Australian Rugby
September 10, 2010 - 1:24pm
Story by: ARU

Quade Cooper is staying in Rugby Union

Qantas Wallabies flyhalf Quade Cooper today confirmed he is staying in Rugby with plans to play a leading role in Australia’s campaign for Rugby World Cup glory in New Zealand next year.

On the eve of his first Bledisloe Cup Test at ANZ Stadium tomorrow night, Cooper revealed he has turned his back on offers from rugby league and overseas to remain in the code he has set alight in 2010.

Cooper has agreed to a one-year deal with the Australian Rugby Union and Queensland Reds to bring to an end ongoing speculation over his future.

“I’m loving my Rugby at the moment,” he said ahead of the Sydney showdown with the All Blacks.

“I wanted to stay and I wanted to bring it to a head now because these negotiations have taken time – but that’s to be expected because we’re talking about my future.

“It was time to bring some certainty to my future and now I can focus on what’s approaching, including the 2011 Rugby World Cup.”

ARU Managing Director and CEO John O’Neill said: “Quade is a genuine talent who is still at the front end of his career.

“He is part of the nucleus of young players we have seen mature quickly under the guidance of coach Robbie Deans and we believe Quade is important to the Wallabies moving forward.

“Last week against the Springboks we saw what this side is capable of in ending a 47-year hoodoo on the high veldt of South Africa.

“We hope to see further evidence of that development tomorrow night

“Reaching an agreement with Quade is also further evidence that we don’t lose to rugby league players that we want to keep.”

Qantas Wallabies coach Robbie Deans added: “Quade’s decision to remain in Rugby is great news for the Wallabies and Australian Rugby in general.

“It allows Quade to continue with his development as a player in our environment where we have no doubt he has a lot more to offer in the build up to next year’s Rugby World Cup.”

Status
Not open for further replies.