• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade Cooper going to NRL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Scotty,
Name one unpredictable attacking 5/8 who can tackle. You have got to carry players like him.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
When I think of the great ball running, attacking 5/8's I've seen over the years, there haven't been many who've had truly top class defence. Their value considerably outweighed that, however.

I'm thinking of Ella, Botica, Spencer, Quade, Mensel, Stuart Barnes and guys like that. It was rare to have great defenders in that channel like Bernie and Honniball who also were great attacking players.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I would be chuffed if he defended as well as Carter. Unfortunately I believe QC (Quade Cooper) is the finished product. You either accept that is what you get when you pick him, or you make alternative arrangements.
Defence is about attitude, either you are willing to put your head there or you are not.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I would be chuffed if he defended as well as Carter. Unfortunately I believe QC (Quade Cooper) is the finished product. You either accept that is what you get when you pick him, or you make alternative arrangements.
Defence is about attitude, either you are willing to put your head there or you are not.

That's contentious. Most coaches believe good defence can be taught. And there is no question Quade has the right attitude: he pulls off some dominant hits, mixed with some complete dross.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
I agree with groucho, the technique can be taught and if you have poor commitment then you'll get most but miss some big guys

Quade and to a lesser extent Beale have good commitment but poor technique, someone mentioned on another thread that this was never an issue for quade at school because he always tackled high and went for the rip but in the super 14 and internationals you just get bumped off

Quade's hit on JDV yesterday showed he had the heart

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If we are thinking of the same hit on JDV it was basicially a shoulder charge with contact on JDV's chest. Let him try that on Bakies Botha and see how he goes.If you are correct about it being technique, then it is a sad indictment on our coaching. We are talking about 2 talented players who have been full time professional rugby players for several years, each in a squad where there is a dedicated defensive coach. they each have a glaring deficiency in their tackling technique and NO ONE has got around to give them a few tips on how to improve?
Neither of them are pussies,both of them seem to instinctively plant too early before contact and therefore get their weight on their heels.Tackling is no different to the breakdown, if you have to think about it, it is too late the moment has gone.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
JDV isn't small so it was pretty impressive from quade

I think lee said that kurtley played at 15 for Joeys in defence to counter attack and was probably taught to tackle properly but he never had to. He tends to be fine in the line but at 15 he usually misses five metres from the line because he gets stepped at pace.

Quade just goes to high all the time and gets bumped because of it

In england at most pro clubs if you miss a certain % of tackles in a game the following week you have to take part in a tackling practice which is quite intense, they coach your technique and get you used to tackling big people, maybe the wallbies should do the same thing. At london irish ryan lamb, our 10, near enough had to go every week, in the end his technique got better and he didn't have to go again

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'd much rather see Quade and Kurtley go low and drop the ball carrier, rather than up top and get bumped off. A spot tackle is a far safer option in defence than going the huge hit every time and it not working consistently, especially if you are not a big guy.

This is something Giteau understands, to his credit. Bernie did too.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Barry John the flyhalf from Wales and Lions fame never made a tackle in his life - didn't stop him from becoming a legend?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think lee said that kurtley played at 15 for Joeys in defence to counter attack and was probably taught to tackle properly but he never had to. He tends to be fine in the line but at 15 he usually misses five metres from the line because he gets stepped at pace.

KB (Kurtley Beale)'s missed tackles were worth 2 tries a game when he played with the tahs @ 10

N

Newter

JDV isn't small so it was pretty impressive from quade

Quade just goes to high all the time and gets bumped because of it

In england at most pro clubs if you miss a certain % of tackles in a game the following week you have to take part in a tackling practice which is quite intense, they coach your technique and get you used to tackling big people, maybe the wallbies should do the same thing. At london irish ryan lamb, our 10, near enough had to go every week, in the end his technique got better and he didn't have to go again

I can't see the Wallabies risking their star playmaker with that kind of contact in training.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
That's contentious. Most coaches believe good defence can be taught. And there is no question Quade has the right attitude: he pulls off some dominant hits, mixed with some complete dross.

Most of his 'dominant' hits are borderline shoulder charges. All of is truly good tackles are side on. I can't ever remember him putting his head down and making a Burgess or even Giteau type of front on tackle.

I don't expect him to be a great front on tackler, I just expect him to have the guts to put his body on the line when it truly matters, and at least slow down the attacking player so that his teammates have a good chance to stop him before he gets to the line.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Barry John the flyhalf from Wales and Lions fame never made a tackle in his life - didn't stop him from becoming a legend?

That was then, this is now. I can't recall a 'great' player in any position from the professional era that has a poor defensive game. Merhtens may be close to the exception?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Most of his 'dominant' hits are borderline shoulder charges. All of is truly good tackles are side on. I can't ever remember him putting his head down and making a Burgess or even Giteau type of front on tackle.

I don't expect him to be a great front on tackler, I just expect him to have the guts to put his body on the line when it truly matters, and at least slow down the attacking player so that his teammates have a good chance to stop him before he gets to the line.

I remember he dropped Sykes in the Sharks game in Durban in a good driving front on tackle.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
"KB (Kurtley Beale)'s missed tackles were worth 2 tries a game when he played with the tahs @ 10"

I meant that KB (Kurtley Beale) seems to be alright in the line now, saw a few tackles he mad in the line in bloem

"I can't see the Wallabies risking their star playmaker with that kind of contact in training."

Yeah they wouldn't but it would help his defence

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
That will mean that not one first choice Wallaby player has left Rugby since Garrick Morgan. Whilst this is a good thing I hope the ARU learns from this and makes sure that this type of circus doesn't happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.