• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade Cooper going to NRL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Maybe the Eels are going to throw in a hotted up Nissan Skyline or Mitsubishi Evo as a top-up sweetener?

12 month all-you-can-ink tattoo deal?

Free hair clippers permanantly set on #1?

Maybe a laptop or two...?

:)

Pfft. Quade doesn't have to earn those kinds of things. He has other means.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
What's happening here?

quadecooper-420x0.jpg

Is Robbie trying to stop Quade stealing Justin Bieber's laptop?

T

TOCC

So now it's $500k a season not $850k/season....

I wonder who released the larger figure? His manager perhaps....

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
So now it's $500k a season not $850k/season....

I wonder who released the larger figure? His manager perhaps....
850 is still front page of rugbyheaven, they're jumping over themselves to print a retraction...

H

H...

after we get giteau off the books, I'd like to see the ARU go after whoever leagues biggest available star is, give him 900 grand and stick him in the shute shield for 5 years. Just to piss them off.

R

Redsfan

after we get giteau off the books, I'd like to see the ARU go after whoever leagues biggest available star is, give him 900 grand and stick him in the shute shield for 5 years. Just to piss them off.
:lmao:

Henry

Bill Watson (15)

Forget shute shield, stick em in 3rd grade subbies!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Even if he signs a one year deal to play the RWC I think this has shown his hand somewhat and he has a very limited life in Rugby.

SO what will the Wallabies 22 look like post RWC 2011?

1. Robinson/Cowan/Daley
2. TPN/Fainga'a/Charles/Fitzpatrick
3. Alexander/Ma'afu:angryfire: /Fairbrother/Weeks/Slipper
4/5. Douglas/Mumm/Peterson/Wykes/Kimlin/Simmons/Horwill
6. Hodgeson/McCalman/Dennis/McCutcheon/Mowen
7. Pocock, Alcock, Hodgeson, Fainga'a the 3rd,
8. Brown:angryfire: ,Houston, Higgingum
9. Genia, Turner, McKibben, Burgess ?
10. Liliifano, To'omua, Ripia
12. Fainga'a, Horne, JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Chambers, Horne, Ioane ? , AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Inman
11. Cummins, Davies, Mitchell ?
14. Ioane ? Hynes? Turner
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Turner, JOC (James O'Connor), Beale, Hynes?

? for players I feel stayed only for the chance of a RWC this time round. They won't see another RWC attempt and will probably look for a big payday.

I think it is a forgone conclusion that Giteau and Barnes will both be gone post RWC, Sharpe, Baxter and Van Humphries will retire or maybe play one season in Euroland. I also expect players like Chisholm will be seeking Euros after next year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am sure the ARU won't agree to a 1 year contract will they?

Also, Gnostic, don't think Ripia will be eligible next year will he?

D

daz

I still think this is a beat-up and Quade will be in the Reds colours next year, but now I'm getting nervous.

Surely being a dual international and a SOO player can wait until after the RWC? The payday will likely be bigger as well once he establishes his credentials as a genuine play-maker.

Regardless, if he stays or goes I think all this wank about it not being for the money is just a crock. Of course it is all about the money! If it was about ambition, he would never have asked his agent to follow this league idea this far down the track.

Either way, I'm now adding another component to my original pick that QC (Quade Cooper) will be at the Reds next year; the year after, he will be anywhere BUT Oz rugby.

H

H...

Even if he signs a one year deal to play the RWC I think this has shown his hand somewhat and he has a very limited life in Rugby.

SO what will the Wallabies 22 look like post RWC 2011?

1. Robinson/Cowan/Daley
2. TPN/Fainga'a/Charles/Fitzpatrick
3. Alexander/Ma'afu:angryfire: /Fairbrother/Weeks/Slipper
4/5. Douglas/Mumm/Peterson/Wykes/Kimlin/Simmons/Horwill
6. Hodgeson/McCalman/Dennis/McCutcheon/Mowen
7. Pocock, Alcock, Hodgeson, Fainga'a the 3rd,
8. Brown:angryfire: ,Houston
9. Genia, Turner, McKibben, Burgess ?
10. Liliifano, To'omua, Ripia
12. Fainga'a, Horne, JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Chambers, Horne, Ioane ? , AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Inman
11. Cummins, Davies, Mitchell ?
14. Ioane ? Hynes? Turner
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Turner, JOC (James O'Connor), Hynes?

? for players I feel stayed only for the chance of a RWC this time round. They won't see another RWC attempt and will probably look for a big payday.

I think it is a forgone conclusion that Giteau and Barnes will both be gone post RWC, Sharpe, Baxter and Van Humphries will retire or maybe play one season in Euroland. I also expect players like Chisholm will be seeking Euros after next year.

neither higginbotham or beale in the mix?

H

H...

Fuck it - the ARU should come out and say publicly that they will NOT be signing Cooper at any price. Let's see if the Eels still have 1.5 million ready for him then, after there's no competition driving the price up. Of course, it's not about money.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Post RWC '11 would mean the 2012 Wallabies season. As he has signed for a S15 club in 2010 if he made the grade I am sure some smoke and mirrors could be used to get him in the side 2012. If not 2013.

As for a 1 year contract, well I am not so sure what the ARU will do. I think things to be getting desperate with some people in the media and ARU. They painted themselves into a corner with paying Giteau huge sums for nothing essentially, and now Cooper is being proposed as essential to the Wallabies as Giteau was and he wants the same sort of deal.

I am not convinced of his indispensability but if Deans tells JON it will turn to shit without Cooper what will JON do? That coupled with the League coupe on finally reversing the trend since Rugby went professional and finally signing a starting Wallaby. The ARU at a time of poor performances and generally shitty reviews on the Wallabies do not need a further negative on the appeal/publicity front. The Reds would be screaming this in the beackground as well and justifiably so given they had their part of the agreement complete months ago.

This is a major F*&%%$ up by the ARU. They should have had Cooper signed regardless of the court matters with a clause in the contract rendering it void if the matters were proven/found guilty and conviction recorded.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
So now it's $500k a season not $850k/season....I wonder who released the larger figure? His manager perhaps....

Guys, the ARU needs QC (Quade Cooper) in rugby far more than QC (Quade Cooper) needs the ARU. And increasing his pay given this talent and fan power is a perfectly legitimate objective for him, and one which 90% of modern, professionally advised players would pursue in his circumstances, and with his proven talent on the big stage. Anyone who thinks that the ARU player deal-makers don't need squeezing by the media is just kidding themselves. This is partly the way 'fair market price' is ascertained in today's affluent team sports. Those that don't like or get this process need to better understand the way in which elite sports people build wealth today in areas where they have competitive choices. If your purist tendencies think all this is too grubby and 'beneath the fine virtues of responsible rugby players', let's have a salary cap model like league. That will do very nicely to make the slowly melting glacier that is Australia's rugby disappear even faster than it inexorably is today.

Let's first look at the economics of a Cooper-driven gate P&L:

- Cooper has serious star power in the game, just like Campo would in 2010. He dazzles, he innovates, he's a major point-of-difference points-making man, he makes us gasp and be thrilled with enjoyment when really on song. He makes an Aussie back line look good, and, unquestionably, a dynamic running game is what Aussie fans love (and years of league and AFL on TV has made this even more so and more essential in our rugby, if we want to compete with these codes, as we must). Fact. He has human faults and maturing to do, like any 22 year old with much more exposure than they are ready for. The Wallabies desperately need star players that actively pull crowds, whatever the purists care to think. How many do we have: Pocock (though forwards count for less as they don't dynamise the backs, visibly and directly anyway), Genia, Cooper, that's about it. Roughly 4 or so less than we ideally should have today. (Beale and JO'C could become genuine crowd pullers when they really consolidate and improve further, and Davies and Chambers and MacCabe may be candidates in time, Ioane is about 3.75 stars to QC (Quade Cooper)'s 5.)

- Here's the cash flow maths: conservatively, a people puller like Cooper will increment home S15 and Wallabies gate takings by a minimum of 3,000 heads per game. Let's say 10 games per year: 30,000 incremental tickets. Let's assume $60 per head plus say $10 gross profit on drinks, snacks, etc. That's $2,100,000. Next, sponsorship. Sponsors adore players that drive up TV ratings. Cooper will surely do that to some degree. His incremental sponsor power, or hold-sponsor power, would be at least $300,000 pa, very conservatively. Then there's the intangibles of what he contributes to potential wins and general 'Wallaby aura', let's not monetise that for now. So, it's reasonably- to highly- likely that QC (Quade Cooper) will produce _incremental_ income to the code of approx no less than $2,400,000. Say we pay QC (Quade Cooper) $600,000 pa, he's a near guaranteed net profit and cash flow generator for Australian rugby.

Now, to the Wallabies win-ability factors:

Roll forward: QC (Quade Cooper) is now with league, fell out over, say, an extra $250,000 pa. Who will be #10 for the Wallabies? We have, of senior class and blooded,....ummm, the unmovable icon (near universally voted against for this position on GAGR)....and the stressed, clearly anxious and erratic Barnes (somewhat better than UI but not by much that we can rely on, game in, game out). OK, let's take Barnes. Now, how do we feel about having lost Cooper for, say, an incremental $200,000 - $300,000 pa? All those who cling to the hope of a moment of glory (and what other immediate hope is there post-Christchurch) at Eden Park '11: happy, are we? Is there any doubt that a QC (Quade Cooper) (especially with an in-form Genia) materially aids our chance of an in-the-Final loss or win there?, I don't think there's a scintilla of doubt about that. Let's say we keep roughly where we today with RD and the hapless Williams and Graham, i.e., a few little token wins, more losses, and we lose badly at the RWC. Such a long burn of a dreaded outcome - from the utter debacle of Marseilles 2007 to late 2011 - will be nothing short of an unmitigated disaster for everyday fan enthusiasm for rugby in this country, and it's already fragile and declining. The whole period will then be seen as a time of near-permanent decline and inexcusable waste of talent, and IMO could become, in this scenario, an irrevocably negative 'tipping point' for our rugby from which it may simply never recover. Thus, we need to keep every genuinely top player we can until at least 2012, and hopefully longer, even if the $ costs causes some heartburn for the ARU.

Q.E.D. That paying a market price for QC (Quade Cooper) around say $600,000 - $700,000 pa is a smart, strategically well justified act in the interests of the code's survival in this country.

Footnote: The ARU 2009 Annual Report shows 'Office of the CEO' costing c.$3,500,000 pa, JO'N averages around $750,000 pa as salary. Giteau reportedly earns c$1,000,000, and why should QC (Quade Cooper) consider that he should fall way, way below Giteau whose flame has well and truly diminished since 2008 and whom manifestly is no longer up to a playmaker role?

Status
Not open for further replies.