• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade Cooper going to NRL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
At first I thought this story was nothing more than a beat-up, but it seems to have grown significant legs to suggest there is more to it. If Quade tells JON his story walking, it will be a sad day for all Wallabies fans but just more of the same old shit for Reds fans. You think the stars have re-signed, and then a big one fucks off.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...ooper-to-the-nrl/story-e6freoof-1225905599631

My God, you people really are taking the bait?

This is but ANOTHER article written by mungo journalist Peter Badel that suggests the possibility of Cooper switching to loig.

I think you lot need to go through and actually see who is actually writing this shit...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SMH's rugby league column has come out with an $850,000 offer for Cooper from the Eels...

Cooper's management are certainly earning their pay...

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
From http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/m-eel-deal-for-quade-cooper/story-e6frexnr-1225905589449

It is understood Parramatta's base offer is $400,000 a year, plus an additional third-party deal worth $100,000.

With bonuses and match payments for Tests and Super 15 games next season, Cooper stands to earn up to $600,000 in rugby.

But the Cooper camp is dissatisfied with his base salary, which is worth around $360,000, including the ARU's proposed top-up.

The ARU is hoping for an answer from Cooper by Friday, although Osborne said Parramatta's offer would be non-negotiable.

"We won't be able to match rugby's overall package but it can't be about money for Quade," he said.

"If Quade wants to play for us, I'll put an offer to him for three or four years.

"Quade is a big fan of Jarryd and vice versa. They have obviously become mates, which is attractive for us. I'll be having another discussion to gauge if Quade is the real deal and we'll push ahead.

"We'll pay him what we think he's worth, but we won't get into a bidding war."

With the Eels' impressive offer on the table, the pressure is now firmly on the Australian Rugby Union to up the ante.

So let me get this straight. Loig's offering $100k a year less, and no RWC, but it's up to the ARU to "up the ante"

Is this the dumb and dumber school of negotiation?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
does quade want to leave queensland?
know its a question that will make a few here jump up and down, but maybe after the court case etc, he wants out but doesnt want to play against, its happened with players before, burke went overseas rather than line up for qld, just a thought.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Very valid point WJ. As I posted earlier as well, Rugby's biggest strength (the international nature of the Tests and S15) are also its biggest disadvantage.

Cooper may well be thinking that he wants to be at home more and earn very similar money without the travel requirements. As the story intimated it may not be about the money.

Does anybody think the pessimism and negative vibe many of us feel may also be pervading the Wallabies environment. They may also be a factor since a large slice of his income is Wallabies dependant and it isn't exactly a happy workplace.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
know its a question that will make a few here jump up and down, but maybe after the court case etc, he wants out but doesnt want to play against, its happened with players before, burke went overseas rather than line up for qld, just a thought.

Maybe he thinks the NSW police don't have his prints :lmao:

The ARU needs to institute a pay scale and stick to it.

On Cooper specifically - he has talent, but he isn't there yet. The ARU offer looks pretty fair.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

I don't recall that Burke ever had an option to come to Qld? Surely they wouldn't have been chasing him with Latham his equal by that stage.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Maybe he thinks the NSW police don't have his prints :lmao:

The ARU needs to institute a pay scale and stick to it.

On Cooper specifically - he has talent, but he isn't there yet. The ARU offer looks pretty fair.

If he reads the press he would think he was there. Oh and the fact he picked up 2 man of the match awards already for the wallabies this year.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
He is crazy if he goes to league. He will earn far more from playing union over the long term. Plus he could potentially play well into his 30s which is almost unheard of in league.

Will the ARU just give him some mmore money already to end these shenanigans.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
He is probably one of the most valuable players in Austrlian Rugby. All his management are doing is trying to align his pay with his value. They are using the media n such to do this. I hope he gets paid more, it is insulting having lesser players getting paid more. Plus i dont think cooper would go to league his management probably just said we'll get u more money by using this tactic, and as a player he probably just said yeh ok y not,cos in reailty theres nothing to lose (unless he risks the move to league).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don't recall that Burke ever had an option to come to Qld? Surely they wouldn't have been chasing him with Latham his equal by that stage.

I think it was in Burkie's book. When he was ditched by the NSWRU he was approached by the Reds, apparently (was Eddie coach at the time?). He decided not to and the decision clearly had nothing to do with being able to get more money overseas because the ARU weren't offering him money either.

T

TOCC

I think it was in Burkie's book. When he was ditched by the NSWRU he was approached by the Reds, apparently (was Eddie coach at the time?). He decided not to and the decision clearly had nothing to do with being able to get more money overseas because the ARU weren't offering him money either.

yes i remember that, the issue also was that he was reluctant to ever play against NSW

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If Cooper wants to leave after the support he got this year from the ARU & QRU, well.

See ya later

But I can't believe he really does, he could have gone the the Force for plenty of money if that was the case, and the Eels aren't even sure who will be coaching them next year

T

TOCC

not to mention that Nathan Hindmarsh, the likely 2011 captain has said that he doesnt want Quade

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
not to mention that Nathan Hindmarsh, the likely 2011 captain has said that he doesnt want Quade

He said he would prefer a Leaguie, not that Cooper was unwelcome or unwanted. Cayless sounds like a Cooper fan and he is captian.

"I've seen him play, and he's an absolutely outstanding talent,'' Cayless told BigPond Sports. "He's had some great games for the Wallabies, in a couple of those matches against South Africa, and he played well for the Reds this year as well ... we'll just have to see what happens.''

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Maybe Quade just doesn't like travelling overseas?

His agent can get more money short term and he might culturally feel more comfortable in loig? You know, pissing on the street, bar brawls, and other typical weekend activities.

A

ALL_BLACKS

Iam an all black man but honestly if he wants to go to league let him ....rugby union players have it really good - and just look at league over the last few yrs - I have no idea why a starting 15 Wallaby would want to go to league....

Scotty

David Codey (61)

They must have been looking at him as a 13 then? I suspect that Miller was coach of the Reds at that time?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I assume Hayne is mid-contract cause I can't see him being happy that Cooper is all of a sudden going to get that much and he isn't.

The club is in a bit of turmoil at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.