• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade Cooper and Summer Digressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Hehe - this is exactly why it's called niggle, even has the forum kicking off.

I've only ever once seen someone in a top flight game pinged for post try niggle, and it was your (and my) hero Naza - big Cliffy in the S14 last year I think?.
Try - which he scored - still stood, I believe he got binned?

But in this case in HK - game well and truly over - what was the ref gonna do? Try still stands cos the niggle comes after it. No time left even to give the ABs a pen shot from the half-way line.

Someone got the rule book on this one?

I don't think a penalty to the ABs under those circumstances would have to be taken in normal time, otherwise you could do what you like after the bell.

We'd get the conversion shot, then the ABs would get the penalty shot, to win the game if successful.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
As an AB supporter - great comment.

As much as I think he talk shit sometimes, I'll always have a bit of respect for Brendan Cannon cos he stood right in front of Mealamu when he gave him that shot right to the head and then took everything that came after it. Even Spencer's cheap shots.

Quade Cooper gets run over all night (McCaw in particular made his tackling look stupid) and then finds the balls to get physical when Ritchie has his back turned to him and is getting up off the ground. Poofta...and yes, Elsom did a good job getting in there.

@Scotty - McCaw was not trying to kick Pocock. He was trying to win the ball back - or did you not see the ball next to Pocock's feet???

I don't think I said that he was trying to kick him, but kick him he did (twice if I recall correctly). And since when is the openside allowed to do the hookers job?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I don't think I said that he was trying to kick him, but kick him he did (twice if I recall correctly). And since when is the openside allowed to do the hookers job?

Hey Scotty,

As long as the ball is not in the tunnel and McCaw uses his feet/lower leg then he's entitled to compete for it. If the ball is still in the tunnel then only the front row can try to hook it.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
And if he can do this while staying fully bound he's got a 6 foot long leg and amazing flexibility!

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
but what gets up my nose on these forums, is people who condemn players who have more talent in their little finger than the condemner has in his whole body... people whose whole attitude is one of negativity... we just beat the best Rugby team in the world and they still spew out their half baked nonsense opinions on how they know better than Deans on how to coach and select teams...

Could not agree more! Well said dougdew99.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Hehe - this is exactly why it's called niggle, even has the forum kicking off.

I've only ever once seen someone in a top flight game pinged for post try niggle, and it was your (and my) hero Naza - big Cliffy in the S14 last year I think?.
Try - which he scored - still stood, I believe he got binned?

But in this case in HK - game well and truly over - what was the ref gonna do? Try still stands cos the niggle comes after it. No time left even to give the ABs a pen shot from the half-way line.

Someone got the rule book on this one?

The incident referred to was in the Waratahs vs Highlanders game two years ago. I was on holidays in NZ at the time and actually saw it at the ground. What happened was that Palu went over to score a try, Cowan went down on him with the elbow after the try was scored and Palu retaliated. It was a piece of very poor refereeing because Cowan got off scott free from what could have been a jaw-breaker and Palu got 10 minutes. In this case it was the player who got niggled who was penalised 10 mins, not the person doing the niggle. It was very ugly and nothing like the incident in Hong Kong, which was just a bit of push and shove. It was further evidence that the Sanzar citing process was disfunctional because Cowan did not get cited for it as I recall.

As a side note: Cowan is a nasty piece of work and a serial offender in off-the-ball and dirty play. One of those players who will do anything if he thinks he can get away with it.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
As a side note: Cowan is a nasty piece of work and a serial offender in off-the-ball and dirty play. One of those players who will do anything if he thinks he can get away with it.

I don't know about 'nasty piece of work' but I'd agree that he's done some fairly ugly things in his time. Can't think of any in particular although I do have a vague recollection of the Palu incident. I think I was hoping Palu would pop him one right in the mouth.....

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm not a Cowan fan, but realistically he's not a lot different from every other gobby, dirty half back we've all played with and against ;-)

He's is particularly bad though. I much prefer to see Weepu in the AB team or frankly anyone else. Mathewson's not bad either.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I really don't like Cowan's style. For want of a better descriptor he just seems like a douche.

By far his worst offence was that time he obstructed Bakkies' head with the back of his own. Scumbag!

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
"HAWKO - As a side note: Cowan is a nasty piece of work and a serial offender in off-the-ball and dirty play. One of those players who will do anything if he thinks he can get away with it. "

Fair enough comment for a couple of years ago - he was a serial niggle-meister -
Since then he captained Southland and after a couple of drink incidents he has cleaned his act up alot. Far more mature player these days

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Remember Cowan getting a straight red for a late high shoulder charge in an S14 game a few years ago. He looks like trailer trash with that hairstyle, and a really nasty piece of work. But of course I have never met him so am only going on how he comes across on TV. He could well be Mother Theresa off the field for all I know. But somehow I doubt that.

Status
Not open for further replies.