• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade Cooper and Summer Digressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Jimmy killed is own "hard man" hype when he tried to hit Van Humphries but all he could muster was a limp wrist I think even he must have realized that he should just stick to rugby after that effort.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
The incident referred to was in the Waratahs vs Highlanders game two years ago. I was on holidays in NZ at the time and actually saw it at the ground. What happened was that Palu went over to score a try, Cowan went down on him with the elbow after the try was scored and Palu retaliated. It was a piece of very poor refereeing because Cowan got off scott free from what could have been a jaw-breaker and Palu got 10 minutes.

In this case it was the player who got niggled who was penalised 10 mins, not the person doing the niggle. It was very ugly and nothing like the incident in Hong Kong, which was just a bit of push and shove. It was further evidence that the Sanzar citing process was disfunctional because Cowan did not get cited for it as I recall.

Exactly right - and notwithstanding, IIRR, that the officials had a conference about it - and notwithstanding that I was yelling at the TV in Sydney. It wasn't as bad or obvious as the Richard Loe special which rearranged the face of Paul Carozza in 1992, but it was pretty bad.

Cowan should have been cited as you say.

Didn't excuse what Cliffy did though; he should have copped it.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
IIRC Cliffy had the arm cocked and was about to end Cowan when reason snapped into his brain and it wound up being a face push type thing

jason

Sydney Middleton (9)
For all the Cowan haters: [video=youtube;SZJTcexbOEc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZJTcexbOEc[/video]

Pretty funny.

Reactions: Ham

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Exactly right - and notwithstanding, IIRR, that the officials had a conference about it - and notwithstanding that I was yelling at the TV in Sydney. It wasn't as bad or obvious as the Richard Loe special which rearranged the face of Paul Carozza in 1992, but it was pretty bad.

Cowan should have been cited as you say.

Didn't excuse what Cliffy did though; he should have copped it.

Yeah, the rules say the retaliator pays.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Any man who can end a post game interview with the line "lets go blow up some ducks" is allright by me. I like a player who can build a proffesional sporting career on grit and determination. I mean, he is the AB's starting 9 and he can't even box kick.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
So what sayeth the Deans haters to this? I think he's absolutely spot on. I'm a big supporter of QC (Quade Cooper) in the 10 jersey, but he cannot continue with defence as bad as it was on the weekend. Over to you young man.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He can say what he want but nothing will happen. Cooper's defence hasn't improved one bit since the first international he played in, if anything it's gotten worse. Why are we to believe he will suddenly improve, the coaching staff are just as to blame as Cooper.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
He's questioning his heart. Can't get more of an ultimatum than that - I can't see how QC (Quade Cooper) can stay in the side if he doesn't improve now.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Sounds like the coaching staff (and teammates) have had enough of Quade's missed tackles.... and are questioning his commitment to fixing the problem

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...sk-being-dropped/story-e6frf55l-1225954604771

That's a BIG statement from Dingo and quite unusual. Can't disagree with it though.

I have said it somewhere on the threads before that QC (Quade Cooper) has the defence of a Campo, along with the same ability to excite as Campo. There will only be ONE CAMPO however.

In a reasonably lengthy rant on the Wobs vs Soap Dodgers EOY thread I said in part....
Individual Skills - The basics - Tackle, Pass and Catch. Some need to work on these. ‘nuff said. Is this Dingo’s problem or the individual’s?
Maybe some private tuition is needed (funded by the players or player managers themselves, and conducted in their own time). Parents and students do this all the time to increase their chances of successful outcomes in exams, at school and uni. Why can’t individuals take more individual responsibility for achieving the standards demanded by the National Coach? It is their job after all. They are in the entertainment business.

With 2 million registered players in the UK, and any number of Aust coaches over there as privateers, there is no reason why Mr Cooper does not seek additional defensive skills sessions from one of those. Lord knows he is now on a big enough package to pay for it himself.
In the mungoball off season, perhaps his potential future employer could fly someone over there at their cost to bring him up to the required level.
(I do not subscribe to the school of thought that the mungos somehow have tackling in their DNA code, that many seem to have. Whatever it takes, provided it achieves the desired outcome, should be undertaken.)

It is not Dingo's problem that players do not have the requisite skills at the required standard. His role is not to individually teach them the required skills.

The message from the Jarses, and now Dingo, to QC (Quade Cooper) is get off your arse, or get your arse out of here.

Will be a shame to see him out of the game if he adopts the latter course of action rather than the former.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
He can say what he want but nothing will happen. Cooper's defence hasn't improved one bit since the first international he played in, if anything it's gotten worse. Why are we to believe he will suddenly improve, the coaching staff are just as to blame as Cooper.

I don't think it's getting worse, but the secret is now well & truly out...he can't hide anymore.
Why is this a coaching issue? You don't think they have led this horse to water?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I attended an open training session before the Sydney Bled last year, and in the "free practice" bit where some did extra kicking etc, Quade and KB (Kurtley Beale) were made to practice defensive drills on one another.

It's clear to me that this issue has been recognised and addressed by the coaching staff a while back; KBs progressed, QC (Quade Cooper) hasn't.

Contrary to his usual Dingo lingo, I don't think Dingo could have been clearer with this statement - he's fucking fed up.

This is a clear example of - contrary to the mantra going on around here - how coaching can only go so far. These are adults, not an U13s, and they need to take responsibility at some stage.

The notion that Link and Deans have just ignored this for the past years is clearly wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.