• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Quade Cooper and Summer Digressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Technique will be less effective against the Reds, as Link seems to regard coaching as an active process rather than a zen.

T

TOCC

You would be silly to think that traffic wasn't diverted down quades channel during the S15, the Reds just covered his defensive weakness by hiding him in the backline

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You would be silly to think that traffic wasn't diverted down quades channel during the S15, the Reds just covered his defensive weakness by hiding him in the backline

The question is can you hide a guy long term in test rugby, Merts was I guess, but .............

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The question is can you hide a guy long term in test rugby, Merts was I guess, but .............

That was a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.

Hiding a man in defence is like playing with a tackler in the bin. The Reds may have got away with it last year, but this year every team will have a method worked out in advance to capitalize on it. Quade needs to tackle. I'm confident he can.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That was a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away.

Hiding a man in defence is like playing with a tackler in the bin. The Reds may have got away with it last year, but this year every team will have a method worked out in advance to capitalize on it. Quade needs to tackle. I'm confident he can.

True, I expect Cooper will have to do a lot more work in the S15.

I always liked Warren Ryan's stories about coaching Johns and his specifically his comments about playing a Brian Smith coached side. Johns always topped the tackle count because they ran at him all day in an attempt to make him less effective in attack.

The same thing happened lately to Daniel Mortimer who was surprisingly less effective after doing 30 tackles plus a game.

I would run every play at Cooper I could if I was coaching against him.

He would either fall off the tackle or tire himself out from tackling, a win/win situation IMHO

R

rugbypundit

Quade Cooper's only weakness is his defence(fullstop!!) His distribution and attacking can only be matched by Daniel Carter. BTW he is only 21 and needs some time to mature. Barnes would be a better option @ 12 to partner with him(and provide defensive cover)..Giteau should be dropped all together. Wallabies have lost too many times at his expense.

Anyways after 2011 world cup, these young wallabies will come of age and clean sweep the trinations, Bledisloe cup and grand slam tours.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
True, I expect Cooper will have to do a lot more work in the S15.

I always liked Warren Ryan's stories about coaching Johns and his specifically his comments about playing a Brian Smith coached side. Johns always topped the tackle count because they ran at him all day in an attempt to make him less effective in attack.

The same thing happened lately to Daniel Mortimer who was surprisingly less effective after doing 30 tackles plus a game.

He would either fall off the tackle or tire himself out from tackling, a win/win situation IMHO

You could use that game plan for just about any team with an attacking flyhalf. It is too simplistic just to run every play at him as the defense will adjust (if good) and just tighten up around him, then the attacking play will be very predictable, and very easy to stop.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
You could use that game plan for just about any team with an attacking flyhalf. It is too simplistic just to run every play at him as the defense will adjust (if good) and just tighten up around him, then the attacking play will be very predictable, and very easy to stop.

Sure, except after you'd run the first few plays at him and had the men either side of him and backrow sucked in, you'd start running variations at the holes they've left

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Coincidence that he plays for Parramatta, the same team that went after Quade?

Quade would have his defensive workrate increased markedly in the NRL, if he doesn't demonstrate some defensive workrate now, his NRL value will diminish markedly

B

BRIX

Those 49'ers coaching clips were inspiring. A coach you would give anything to play for, thanks for that

Quade would have his defensive workrate increased markedly in the NRL, if he doesn't demonstrate some defensive workrate now, his NRL value will diminish markedly

Hardly FP, the only way he affects a 'tackle' is by dropping his shoulder...mungos will love him

Might I add Benji Marshall didn't make a tackle from 2005-09. Tigers managed to hide him in the defensive line on the wing after coming off a couple of shoulder reconstructions, having said that though it can be argued he knew how to tackle unlike Quade and was worried about his shoulder. I don't know.

I Love tackling, it's one of those things I take great pride in and was always good at, hitting a man hard and putting him on the deck so he knows not to run at you again. I find it incredibly hard to understand or even justify his 'superior playmakers' rational. Is it youth, an inferiority complex, determined stubborness or a combination of all of those things I ask myself.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Anyway, those 49'ers coaching clips were inspiring. A coach you would give anything to play for

Unless you actually played for him. One of the coaches that's come closest to the firing squad this season. Sometimes you can have too much emotion.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Unless you actually played for him. One of the coaches that's come closest to the firing squad this season. Sometimes you can have too much emotion.

Yes, it seems Mike Singletary might be best suited to an assistant coach role rather than head coach, although they've had some good weeks lately with Troy Smith as QB.

Singletary can tackle and knows about commitment - perhaps Robbie might put a call in if he does get dropped by the 49ers...

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Agree that's the best idea when playing against QC (Quade Cooper).
I'm picking that fatigue will not affect him however.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think every Super 15 team will have a section on how to whip the reds this year dedicated to running straight at QC (Quade Cooper).

After 2011's new long season and all the traffic diverted his way, he will have ample practice to learn how to tackle. If he cant master it by the WC he never will.
I am guessing he will be pretty sore at Reds training this year. Link will surely be planning for him to be run at a lot.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I am guessing he will be pretty sore at Reds training this year. Link will surely be planning for him to be run at a lot.

Yep, he will improve his tackling and hold his own. Teams will employ that tactic but he will still defend out back quite a lot for two reasons.

1/ To conserve his energy as a counter too the ware out tactic.

2/ He is a bloody great weapon in counter attack and will get the space there.

If I was the opposition and I saw him hiding out the back I would go the high ball option and pressure him that way.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yep, he will improve his tackling and hold his own. Teams will employ that tactic but he will still defend out back quite a lot for two reasons.

1/ To conserve his energy as a counter too the ware out tactic.

2/ He is a bloody great weapon in counter attack and will get the space there.

If I was the opposition and I saw him hiding out the back I would go the high ball option and pressure him that way.

I prefer him to defend:) at fullback. It lets him use his pass or kicking game, one pass and you have moved the ball 30m across the field and open up big gaps. With the running game the Reds have employed this allows a better counter attack. Maybe if he is to play a long way behind his line he should learn to just chopblock opponants knees and take them out that way?

I hope link introduces fines for missed tackles, maybe a goat for every tackle missed....goodbye famine in Africa!

Status
Not open for further replies.