• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD GPS 2024

Taipan168

Dave Cowper (27)
A lot of teams saying they could have beaten NC after getting an early lead. Truth is you need to beat them in the 2nd half.
Check out the For and Against for NC this season
1st Half: 83-51
2nd Half: 140-18
They don’t hit top gear until the 2nd half.
NC after Round 7
For 229
Against 77
compare with
BSHS
For 217
Against 127

The Occasional Fly Half

Bob McCowan (2)
...I think there is still a decent chance BBC can spoil that party this coming weekend. They'll need a few things to go right for them, but it is very plausible. Of course, if that happens, then BSHS vs NC will still be a premiership deciding match in the final round. With a BSHS win to give them a solo Premiership or an NC win to make it three way shared NC / BSHS / BBC. A bit like the final match last year with NC vs TSS on the Gold Coast.

Statsman

Frank Row (1)
...I think there is still a decent chance BBC can spoil that party this coming weekend. They'll need a few things to go right for them, but it is very plausible. Of course, if that happens, then BSHS vs NC will still be a premiership deciding match in the final round. With a BSHS win to give them a solo Premiership or an NC win to make it three way shared NC / BSHS / BBC. A bit like the final match last year with NC vs TSS on the Gold Coast.
Will the Pipe Band get BBC over the line at Miskin
Oval this Saturday? It will be close.

Headbin

Peter Burge (5)
I tend to agree this is a serious Igs side, and I rank them very highly. They have challenged all strong sides and played with real passion and deserve more wins than they have. I would tend to say IGS will beat Churchie, although home ground advantage will be tough for IGS. The Red and White are not to be taken lightly and can beat any team in this competition when on their game. Ask Bshs what they thought. IGS is a dangerous team.
Well I think this statement aged well. IGS were outstanding yesterday and I feel this team should feel a little robbed for not being premiership material. IGS are pretty to watch and inventive and on their day could beat any of the remaining premiership contenders. I like IGS style.

The reliance on other teams so well drilled and vanilla boring to get their wins, removing all risk from the games for the sake of 2 points ,is in my opinion doing damage to the game and maybe why Wallabies are not performing. We need more Flamboyance and flair in our game where backs take a chance and run it, rather than kicking away possession with Box kicks that should be locked up in Roman Dungeons forever IMO

Unpredictable, Halem Globe trotter meets Fiji sevens meets Barbarians, is what the game and the spectators are yearning for. The game is over regulated and refs seems to think crowds are there for them. We need less whistle and more running rugby. Keep up the good work IGS ( and BSHS who is having the success with a similar style.)

It will be interesting to see how the inventive flair that these type of teams have, go up against the more sterilised styles ( but exceptionally drilled teams) like NC and BBC. Perhaps the Sterilised approach will prevail, but the other style is soooo much more interesting to watch as a spectator and at Wallaby Level- they have a lot to learn from IGS and BSHS approach to the game. "Throw caution to the wind"

Oracle83

Bill McLean (32)
Will the Pipe Band get BBC over the line at Miskin
Oval this Saturday? It will be close.
Watched the Nudgee game, certainly not great to watch - the BBC forwards should give them a run for their money.

Nudgee are beatable but they’re a school that average about 6-8 losses a decade so you have to do everything extremely well or they’ll get the W. That said BBC has beaten them at home in 2019 and away 2020 from memory with Frank Howarths brother Jack in both those teams.

Headbin

Peter Burge (5)
I tend to agree. I just watched the game and I think TGS had the better of Nudgee for 55 Minutes. A couple of individual plays of Brilliance from Conway and Watson made the score again flattering. I watched Watson looking at the TGS lock obviously injured as he packed and the NC 9 cogs turned, and the clever NC halfback scooted untouched with no cover defence coming off the back of the scrum - Smart Footy Boy- a footy brain there.

The final score did not represent the closeness of the game. I was very surprised how easily the TGS Backs were able to cut big holes in the Nudgee defence .

It was also a very hot day and I did note the entire NC team had hands on hips at the 42 minute mark . Its been a long hard season for them and perhaps the fatigue is showing. BBC looks a very Fit team, and where TGS couldn't go the full 70 minute, BBC at home maybe a very different proposition. I am sure the BBC Coaches would have noticed " the hands on Hips" and have a plan to use the forecast 33 degree next Saturday, to slow cook the NC forward pack and run them around the field.

TGS did themselves proud but ran out of petrol themselves at the end but did not stop trying. Another Gutsy effort from them however. Now it's BBC turn. Surely BSHS must be loving see the tuff tug of war between NC play BBC in 33 degree heat. It won't be doing their chances any harm.

The Occasional Fly Half

Bob McCowan (2)
I thought the Watson try might have been pre-planned once TGS moved to a back left outside cover (removing their 11 from the Wing to cover fullback and stacking the open side). Scrum wheels to open creating the cover from Watson to run. Either way, I agree, it was well executed.

Wayne Bennett 2ndMarriage

Ward Prentice (10)
BBC hasn’t seen passion for the game since those days imo.. until this season of course. But I simply don’t think Jack’s brother Frank will be able to take control of the game and actually make an impact.

It’ll come to whatever team solely wants it more.

jackal_it_julie

Bob McCowan (2)
Nudgee, Southport, Churchie always contenders for premierships due to immensly strong programs.

Thus,

NC
TSS
ACGS
BBC
TGS
GT
BSHS
IGS
BGS
Evening,

Just scrolling through early days of the forum and have come across this gem. Fair Dinkum, how the grpyhons come charging in! To be fair no-one saw the inclusion of Siulepa having such an impact on the statey boys, but boy o' boy does this get the blood pumpin. A good old classic underdog. Other suprises arise from the downfall of the boys from Oaklands parade and the inconsistent sharkirites. I also see an underdog story in the making for the boys from Switch city as their heroic young men brew what will be a historic backline come 2025. Other than that the BBC and TGS team hold on solid whereas the likes of GT and BGS hold their titles as the jokes of the GPS. Seriously, credit to Grammar who seem to be turning their program around, however after a thumping at 'Gaza', GT Look at an all time low. Honestly don't understand how a team of the caliber has been lead to such a low standards. Was very excited for these young guns bloom this year, however it all becomes a tale for 2025. Anyways keen to hear thoughts on us all jumping the gun back in November '23.

Cheers,

JIJ

jackal_it_julie

Bob McCowan (2)
Anyone know the name of GT’s replacement Scrum Half (#21), kid is gutsy… I heard they call him 5 star, cause he always has excellent service.
William Dennis, I beleive according to the team sheet on rugby explorer. I beleive he is a souths junior with a plethora of potential. Will be pushing for a starting role and offering some clean competition for now veteran halfback G Hales.

WHACKO_JACKO.GT

Ted Fahey (11)
Hey Julie, i am not sure if you are up to date with GPS footy news. The GT boys have been riddled with injuries throughout the entire program. With 22 injuries in the opens age group alone (4 being in the 1stXV, and a whopping 7 in the 2ndXV). The 1sts at GT were extremely dissapointing on Saturday, showing little effort which is usually their strongpoint. To think that this would be the result after pushing NC the furthest so far out of any team this year, is a bit mindboggling. However, i would like to touch on the efforts of the 2ndXV. Coming up against an undefeated BBC team, this injury riddled GT team stood up taking it down to the very last minute. I heard many people say the refereeing was not up to scratch, as an NC old boy was reffing the game. But that is not for me to decide or discuss.

Special mention to the blondie hooker for GT. Whilst small in stature, he really took it to Lucas Clifford. He won the battle in the front row against a much larger, stronger and faster opposition loosehead. Jackson's spirals were perfect on the lineout and his intent off the line was second to none. This kid deserves a crack off the bench for the 1stXV, considering the recent results.

WHACKO_JACKO.GT

Ted Fahey (11)
A LITTLE SIDENOTE:
Temperatures in Brisbane are supposed to reach 34 degrees on saturday the 31st of August. So much for rugby being a winter sport!! This climate change jargon is getting out of hand, maybe its my fault from all the mining hahahha.

jackal_it_julie

Bob McCowan (2)
Evening Mate,

Upon reflection I can see I was a bit harsh on the GT boys. I like many other forum members had such belief in this team and it is disappointing to see them fall short in such perculiar circumstances. Of course without the likes of skippa Mcgahan and superstar C. Clifford, there is a huge collapse in the spine however I am still disappointed in the efforts i witnessed out at Tennyson of Saturday. I completely agree with your take on the seconds match with some very exciting players. The hooker was superb although some silly mistakes in terms of possesion. Would like to hear more names from what is a strong 2nd XV from the red and black. Definetelty some speed outwide, I'll tell you that much!

Cheers

JIJ

Last edited: