• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD GPS 2024

RazorRamon

Bob McCowan (2)
Hey Gheeza, to be honest, I guess we’ll just have to find out in Round 4 when Churchie make the trek up the hill to settle our difference of opinions.

Take the trials for what they are but from seeing the games yesterday, I just feel that Churchie has a bit more upside than TGS and TSS based on yesterday’s games …. remember that’s my opinion only but if you want to elaborate more on why you think TGS will be better, then feel free to enlighten us champ!
Agree with you about the upside of Churchie if they can master their new style. There is certainly a lot of ceiling but it’s a big if when it comes to nailing their new approach, the glimpses that come through so far are certainly encouraging.

Shaw Road

Herbert Moran (7)
Prestyn Laine-Setu dislocated hip is what they think happened. He just made QLD schoolboys league as well. Some people can’t catch a break
that's huge news, I think NC will struggle this year, when was the last time they lost 2 trial games? Forwards have been out muscled in a few games already, they usually base their game on defense ,and there already hiding players on the wing because of there size, number 10 is very erratic, makes a lot of mistakes, Big decisions to make for round 1 ......

IppyRanger

Frank Row (1)
IGS had a solid hit out against BGS. Showing great signs for the seasons ahead. They will be competitive against the top sides and will cause some upsets. Have quality players through out their side. Can’t wait to see if they can stay consistent week in week out.

Agree with Gheeza6711. TGS were the stand out side in the 3 way trial with Churchie and TSS.
Churchie have a number of injuries and a lack of depth. TSS have size but smart teams will figure them out. Visual size I should say but a lack of fitness and willingness to work hard.

Bring on the start of the season!!

Oracle83

Cyril Towers (30)
Poor kid, saw footage of the incident. Happened from a hip drop tackle, was a very bad one. Speedy recovery to the young kid.
Saw the tackle and spoke to Nudgee coaches after the game who conceded play was way too quick for there to have been any intention.

Poor bloke was in a hell of a lot of pain until the green whistle arrived - I love our ambos but they were operating at ants pace to administer and help - Nudgee support team were very good.

Wishing the young fella a quick recovery he was a huge loss.

FTF

Frank Nicholson (4)
that's huge news, I think NC will struggle this year, when was the last time they lost 2 trial games? Forwards have been out muscled in a few games already, they usually base their game on defense ,and there already hiding players on the wing because of there size, number 10 is very erratic, makes a lot of mistakes, Big decisions to make for round 1 ......
The 10 is erratic?? If it wasn’t for him they wouldn’t lost a lot more than 2.

NC haven’t put a full strength team out in any of the trials so far.

FTF

Frank Nicholson (4)
Saw the tackle and spoke to Nudgee coaches after the game who conceded play was way too quick for there to have been any intention.

Poor bloke was in a hell of a lot of pain until the green whistle arrived - I love our ambos but they were operating at ants pace to administer and help - Nudgee support team were very good.

Wishing the young fella a quick recovery he was a huge loss.
Very disappointing that the am I just meandered over. You could hear the poor kid screaming from the other side of the field.

FTF

Frank Nicholson (4)
What mistakes did the 10 make??

Make_Rugby_Great_Again

Allen Oxlade (6)
I agree. Churchie were competitive but I would say TGS were definitely the most impressive of the 3 teams I saw.

I thought the first third between TGS and TSS confirmed both teams as worthy contenders this year. I’m not sure the ref’s officiating of the scrum in this third was totally accurate where the Southport boys were not getting any pay for their scrum dominance. But, in saying that Toowoomba were great as a pack in general play and their foot speed to the breakdown allowed them to get up slightly against TSS. I’m not sure who wins when these two team’s eventually go head to head in a full game.

Like I’ve said in prior posts, Churchie’s new style makes for captivating viewing but for me, they are still trying to find the balance of playing eyes up footy to go for opportunities against the importance of keeping possession and trying to build pressure to convert the half chances they’ve created.
Hey RR, lets agree to disagree, but as I said to Gheeza, we'll find out soon enough in Round 4 'Up The Hill', as thats when it really counts.

I'm not doubting TGS's capabilities, but IMO, I just don't think they're as good as what they've been made out to be from reading the forum comments and then seeing them play yesterday - maybe I had higher expectations?

Anyway, as I've said all along, I believe this will be a very close competition so it's going to be very interesting and exciting to watch.

Oracle83

Cyril Towers (30)
What mistakes did the 10 make??
His size and defence were challenges for him when having big blokes running at you - it become too easy to prepare for as an opposition coach and he is predominantly just a passer in attack so very predictable

• Angry
Reactions: FTF

FTF

Frank Nicholson (4)
His size and defence were challenges for him when having big blokes running at you - it become too easy to prepare for as an opposition coach and he is predominantly just a passer in attack so very predictable
I disagree
Watch the Christchurch and Barker games defence wasn’t a problem for him. Just a passer? You must of missed the kick where they scored of it. ‍♂️

IppyRanger

Frank Row (1)
Tbh mate that’s fair enough, not the best display of footy on the weekend, but that’s what trial matches are for. TGS got the win, but i believe it should be crucial to remember that TGS had 4 blokes back from injury in that game and 3 big names still injured: Joey Gray - Reds u18s + captain, Ethan Ramsey - Reds u16s, Azariah Toki Matauri - Signed with Bulldogs
Full TGS side put together looks impressive. Some boys will be very unlucky not to get a start. From what I see backrow isn’t set in concrete yet but all can do the job. Back 3 also not settled. Great depth and all know and can do the job.

Maybe current 12 goes to fullback once Azariah comes in and Miles Rosemond moves to wing.
Maybe Ramsay starts at 6 Jonah current 6 moves to lock and Joey captain straight in at 7 if ready to go. Ramsay capable of playing 6 or 7 and has skill and speed on the edges in attack.
Ramsay and Jonah have big engines and are capable of playing big minutes.

RazorRamon

Bob McCowan (2)
The 10 is erratic?? If it wasn’t for him they wouldn’t lost a lot more than 2.

NC haven’t put a full strength team out in any of the trials so far.
Hey FTF,

Do you know if NC are expecting their troops back in time for round 1? They’ve got tricky round 1 and 2 assignments against IGS and TSS where they’ll need to be on alert for.

Will be interesting to see how the boys go in those early rounds while they are trying to get their troops fit and healthy and back on the paddock. Be a fair bit of overtime being had in the Nudgee S&C department.

FTF

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hey FTF,

Do you know if NC are expecting their troops back in time for round 1? They’ve got tricky round 1 and 2 assignments against IGS and TSS where they’ll need to be on alert for.

Will be interesting to see how the boys go in those early rounds while they are trying to get their troops fit and healthy and back on the paddock. Be a fair bit of overtime being had in the Nudgee S&C department.
No all I know is that they have lost the 13 for possibly the season. Some forwards still to come back but surely they have to play seconds for a week or two as they have had minimal/zero playing minutes…

outsidechance

Frank Row (1)
Based on watching a bunch of trials and some inside mail from family and friends across 3 of the programs...my thoughts.

Lots of injuries and experimenting with combinations across all teams. Most teams haven't fielded their best all together over the trials very often.

BBC look very strong, I believe they won 16's last year and quite a few can't get a run. Very settled structures and roles.

TSS are big and we'll drilled, if they can contain faster outfits they will be hard to beat. Side note they have an ex Brumbies 15a flyhalf who was very very good on Saturday...one to watch in years to come.

TGS also looked very organised and if these forums are right still resting some better players. They were clinical in the backline, no glory hunters, just moving the ball to space. The TSS match was a good contest. Don't underestimate their pack either, very organised.

Churchie's forwards are looking pretty good but backs not in good shape. Reds U16s back playing 10 is out with a broken ankle. My cousin there says only settled position is 15 and 12, although the outside centre looked better on Saturday. And no one can work out why the 6'0" goal kicking winger from the 2nd XV isnt there, apparently he played for the U16 Brumbies '23 and destroys all the backs in wrestling. Defence out wide and goal kicker (1 from 8 over 3 weeks apparently) would help.

IGS are post good results - apparently their second half against Churchie was slick.

Nudgee look strong and have the depth, goal kicker is inconsistent but a good player. Word is they are tossing up how to bring bolster their outside back now with a few injuries to contens with.

GT not sure based on results likewise BGS

Bring on term 3

Last edited: