• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

QLD GPS 2024

Oracle83

Cyril Towers (30)
TGS just beat TSS 12-10
TGS also beat Churchie 12-10
The team against TSS was nearly full strength and the team against Churchie was more of a development with 2nds players and a few 16A’s boys.
BBC defeated Nudgee 41-32 7 tries to 6
Good quality game

Oracle83

Cyril Towers (30)
anyone got the other trial match scores
1717840041310.png

Oracle83

Cyril Towers (30)
I don’t think they are that thin TBH. They have a few options but word is it will either be Welfare and Laine-Setu or Laine-Setu and Conway. Conway wants to play 15 but unless they move Johnson to the wing I can‘t see that happening.
BBC halves had the upper hand today - forwards are big and skilful.

Nudgee lost a very good backs player to what looked to be a hip of groin injury - they had the upper hand until then which was almost at half time.

Make_Rugby_Great_Again

Allen Oxlade (6)
TGS just beat TSS 12-10
TGS also beat Churchie 12-10
The team against TSS was nearly full strength and the team against Churchie was more of a development with 2nds players and a few 16A’s boys.
I watched the 3-way games between TGS vs TSS, TSS vs Churchie and Churchie vs TGS and I must say IMO, Churchie were probably the most impressive outfit out of the 3 teams today.

Granted it is almost the end of Term 2 and the respective 1st XV Head Coaches should now have a fair idea of their squad make-up for the Round 1 fixtures, the season opener couldnt come quick enough. For what it’s worth, these were my stand-out players from the 3 squads from today;

TGS:
- Tusi who played outside centre (13) was a handful and a big strapping lad in the mould of ex-TSS 1st XV and former Wallaby Lloyd Johansson, breaking tackles and attracting the defence each time he touched the ball! Definitely one to watch during the season.

- The TGS players wearing jerseys 7 & 8 impressed at the breakdown and disrupted opposition ball well and no doubt will be key players for TGS if they are to mount a serious title challenge.

TSS:
- Half-back Goldie was at his scheming best directing his forward pack and controlling the tempo of the game with his talk. He seems to have matured a lot with his leadership role this year and will need to lead from the front for TSS to be successful.

- Young gun Uys has a presence about him with his physicality and mobility and will be looking to impress again this year.

Churchie:
- No. 8 Williams was all business with his strong carries and abrasive defence scoring a couple of tries and will be a more than handy addition this year for the Churchie pack with his toughness.

- Hooker Solofa was again impressive in close and out in the wide channels scoring a fantastic try against TGS - he too looks set for a big season.

All in all, a great day of rugby and as mentioned previously, the 2024 QLD GPS Rugby season is shaping up to be an absolute corker and I believe it will be a lot closer than most people think with twists, turns and momentum swings to come. Nudgee are the perennial favourites and are always tough to beat, especially at Ross Oval, but something tells it won’t be a one-horse race this year and I predict a few upsets are on the cards!!!

Gheeza6711

Peter Burge (5)
I watched the 3-way games between TGS vs TSS, TSS vs Churchie and Churchie vs TGS and I must say IMO, Churchie were probably the most impressive outfit out of the 3 teams today.

Granted it is almost the end of Term 2 and the respective 1st XV Head Coaches should now have a fair idea of their squad make-up for the Round 1 fixtures, the season opener couldnt come quick enough. For what it’s worth, these were my stand-out players from the 3 squads from today;

TGS:
- Tusi who played outside centre (13) was a handful and a big strapping lad in the mould of ex-TSS 1st XV and former Wallaby Lloyd Johansson, breaking tackles and attracting the defence each time he touched the ball! Definitely one to watch during the season.

- The TGS players wearing jerseys 7 & 8 impressed at the breakdown and disrupted opposition ball well and no doubt will be key players for TGS if they are to mount a serious title challenge.

TSS:
- Half-back Goldie was at his scheming best directing his forward pack and controlling the tempo of the game with his talk. He seems to have matured a lot with his leadership role this year and will need to lead from the front for TSS to be successful.

- Young gun Uys has a presence about him with his physicality and mobility and will be looking to impress again this year.

Churchie:
- No. 8 Williams was all business with his strong carries and abrasive defence scoring a couple of tries and will be a more than handy addition this year for the Churchie pack with his toughness.

- Hooker Solofa was again impressive in close and out in the wide channels scoring a fantastic try against TGS - he too looks set for a big season.

All in all, a great day of rugby and as mentioned previously, the 2024 QLD GPS Rugby season is shaping up to be an absolute corker and I believe it will be a lot closer than most people think with twists, turns and momentum swings to come. Nudgee are the perennial favourites and are always tough to beat, especially at Ross Oval, but something tells it won’t be a one-horse race this year and I predict a few upsets are on the cards!!!
I’m going to be honest I don’t know how you can say Churchie was the most impressive when TGS beat them with a 2nds/16A’s team, with a few first team players. I thought TSS and TGS were both solid teams and played very good structure footy.

Make_Rugby_Great_Again

Allen Oxlade (6)
I’m going to be honest I don’t know how you can say Churchie was the most impressive when TGS beat them with a 2nds/16A’s team, with a few first team players. I thought TSS and TGS were both solid teams and played very good structure footy.
Hey Gheeza, to be honest, I guess we’ll just have to find out in Round 4 when Churchie make the trek up the hill to settle our difference of opinions.

Take the trials for what they are but from seeing the games yesterday, I just feel that Churchie has a bit more upside than TGS and TSS based on yesterday’s games …. remember that’s my opinion only but if you want to elaborate more on why you think TGS will be better, then feel free to enlighten us champ!

RazorRamon

Bob McCowan (2)
I agree. Churchie were competitive but I would say TGS were definitely the most impressive of the 3 teams I saw.

I thought the first third between TGS and TSS confirmed both teams as worthy contenders this year. I’m not sure the ref’s officiating of the scrum in this third was totally accurate where the Southport boys were not getting any pay for their scrum dominance. But, in saying that Toowoomba were great as a pack in general play and their foot speed to the breakdown allowed them to get up slightly against TSS. I’m not sure who wins when these two team’s eventually go head to head in a full game.

Like I’ve said in prior posts, Churchie’s new style makes for captivating viewing but for me, they are still trying to find the balance of playing eyes up footy to go for opportunities against the importance of keeping possession and trying to build pressure to convert the half chances they’ve created.

RazorRamon

Bob McCowan (2)
Hey Gheeza, to be honest, I guess we’ll just have to find out in Round 4 when Churchie make the trek up the hill to settle our difference of opinions.

Take the trials for what they are but from seeing the games yesterday, I just feel that Churchie has a bit more upside than TGS and TSS based on yesterday’s games …. remember that’s my opinion only but if you want to elaborate more on why you think TGS will be better, then feel free to enlighten us champ!
Agree with you about the upside of Churchie if they can master their new style. There is certainly a lot of ceiling but it’s a big if when it comes to nailing their new approach, the glimpses that come through so far are certainly encouraging.

Gheeza6711

Peter Burge (5)

ahahah righto champ, i’ve given u my reasoning already as is, Churchie being full strength versing a TGS half strength team, says more then enough.

Shaw Road

Herbert Moran (7)
Prestyn Laine-Setu dislocated hip is what they think happened. He just made QLD schoolboys league as well. Some people can’t catch a break
that's huge news, I think NC will struggle this year, when was the last time they lost 2 trial games? Forwards have been out muscled in a few games already, they usually base their game on defense ,and there already hiding players on the wing because of there size, number 10 is very erratic, makes a lot of mistakes, Big decisions to make for round 1 ......

IppyRanger

Frank Row (1)
IGS had a solid hit out against BGS. Showing great signs for the seasons ahead. They will be competitive against the top sides and will cause some upsets. Have quality players through out their side. Can’t wait to see if they can stay consistent week in week out.

Agree with Gheeza6711. TGS were the stand out side in the 3 way trial with Churchie and TSS.
Churchie have a number of injuries and a lack of depth. TSS have size but smart teams will figure them out. Visual size I should say but a lack of fitness and willingness to work hard.

Bring on the start of the season!!

Oracle83

Cyril Towers (30)
Poor kid, saw footage of the incident. Happened from a hip drop tackle, was a very bad one. Speedy recovery to the young kid.
Saw the tackle and spoke to Nudgee coaches after the game who conceded play was way too quick for there to have been any intention.

Poor bloke was in a hell of a lot of pain until the green whistle arrived - I love our ambos but they were operating at ants pace to administer and help - Nudgee support team were very good.

Wishing the young fella a quick recovery he was a huge loss.

FTF

Stan Wickham (3)
that's huge news, I think NC will struggle this year, when was the last time they lost 2 trial games? Forwards have been out muscled in a few games already, they usually base their game on defense ,and there already hiding players on the wing because of there size, number 10 is very erratic, makes a lot of mistakes, Big decisions to make for round 1 ......
The 10 is erratic?? If it wasn’t for him they wouldn’t lost a lot more than 2.

NC haven’t put a full strength team out in any of the trials so far.